PDA

View Full Version : Kodak packaging, how waterproof?

RodgerThePhotographer
21-Apr-2015, 09:57
Greetings,
I had two boxes of 8x10 360 get saturated when the freezer above them defrosted,
the envelopes showed some water marks (heavy enough to have dimpled the wrapping).
Any idea how much, if any could have gotten through to the films? I've never used this before and
don't know about the characteristics of the interior.
Thanks-

vinny
21-Apr-2015, 10:35
I dunno what 8x10 360 is but most of their sheet film packaging is waterproof. There's only one way to be sure though, so open it.

Andy Eads
21-Apr-2015, 10:54
The inner bags for film are a sandwich of aluminum, polyethylene, and paper. Unless they have been opened prior to the freeze/thaw cycle, the external damage you describe should not cause harm to the contents

Doremus Scudder
22-Apr-2015, 06:12
I had a similar mishap years ago: leaky water bottles above my stash of Kodak 4x5 film in 50-sheet boxes. Two of the boxes were soaked. The film was just fine in the unopened paper/poly/foil pouches. I suspect yours will be as well.

Best,

Doremus

RodgerThePhotographer
22-Apr-2015, 18:18
Thank you all so very very much. Looking forward to trying this in my un-as-yet ordered Titan pinhole.
r

Drew Wiley
23-Apr-2015, 12:23
Kodak is pretty damn good about this. Not everyone else is. I wouldn't go swimming with my film pkg, but a bit of perimeter thaw moisture wouldn't make me panic. I prefer to freeze my film boxes well wrapped themselves, in a manner that even this never happens. When in doubt, test develop a sheet.

StoneNYC
23-Apr-2015, 13:54
Fuji packages best, all plastic, completely light and water proof, then kodak, certainly waterproof under the paper (which I wish they would get rid of as it introduced unnecessary fibers into the equation) but I can't attest to light proof, but probably, and certainly water proof, and then everyone else I've used (Ilford/EFKE/FOMA/Rollie) are not sealed, just folded over light RESISTANT packets.

I haven't tried ADOX or new AGFAfoto products, or original AGFA so I don't know about them.

I've also used 8x10 kodak C-41 films that had gotten soaked from another member here and everything inside was fine. So I'm sure you're good to go.