PDA

View Full Version : Lens on Sinar board without shutter compatible to any other board ?

HorstS
15-Apr-2015, 13:57
Hi all,

there are a lot of interesting lenses on sinar boards, but without shutter, in the bay.
Can I mount these lenses without shutter in a normal shutter, like copal ?

Or are these lenses made special for sinar lensboards without shutter ?

Greetings, Horst.

Peter Yeti
15-Apr-2015, 15:03
Horst,

the lens cells of the more modern standard lenses should fit regular shutters like compur or copal. However, Sinar selected the best cells and took special care for adjustment and collimation in the lens mount. When you transplant the cells from a DB mount to a shutter you have to take care of these adjustments, especially cell spacing. You might need shims for the correct spacing and a high quality calliper for the measurements.

It's more a question of whether or not it is worth it. Finding a good shutter for the cells can be quite costly. But if you have spare shutters it definitely can be a good option, especially because of the superb quality of the Sinar select lens cells.

Peter

Alan Gales
15-Apr-2015, 16:48
Unless you have a Sinar camera with a Sinar shutter I would pass. There are plenty of lenses out there all ready in shutter for less money than transplanting a lens on a DB board to a shutter.

William Whitaker
15-Apr-2015, 16:55
Unless you have a Sinar camera with a Sinar shutter I would pass. There are plenty of lenses out there all ready in shutter for less money than transplanting a lens on a DB board to a shutter.

+1

Far cheaper to buy a used Sinar camera with a Sinar shutter so you can use DB lenses than to convert even one DB-mounted lens to a shutter mount. And a Sinar camera is no slouch, whichever one you might get.

HorstS
23-Apr-2015, 10:58
Thank you so much for all your answers. I see the point :-)

RSalles
23-Apr-2015, 11:39
Gentlemen,

Please clarify this umble ignorant in this point:

Sinnar has a table with DB boards serial numbers and unique models for a group of original Copal fitted lens, like Schneider and Rodenstock. Some lenses have a tinny metal ring to match elements distance when fitting the lens cells, as the one I have, a Sinaron N 5.6 210mm. The question is: why a lens, originally fitted by Sinar in the correct DB board could not perfectly fit a matching Copal shutter? And Why the opposite couldn't be done?

Cheers,

Renato

EdSawyer
23-Apr-2015, 12:57
Remounting DB lenses to shutters: I've done this before, it's a good way to get a bargain on lenses if you have the right shutters available.