PDA

View Full Version : durst 138 tabletop missing, any ideas on making one

Liquid Artist
14-Apr-2015, 13:33
My Durst 138 is missing it's tabletop, and I'm hoping on making one somehow.

I do have a nice flat hardwood butcher style board I'd like to use, however I don't have most of the hardware I gather the factory supplied to make it adjusting.

Do you have any ideas on how I could build it, and have it fully functioning similar to the factory setup?

Drew Wiley
14-Apr-2015, 14:05
The problem would be if you're missing the ball joint and big knob to attach it. I picked up a spare metric turn knob from McMaster not long ago; but the ball joint
would probably have to be Durst or be improvised. You can find these replacement tables, but condition is always a potential issue. You want them nice and flat.
I've bagged brand new ones, though I've made my own too. Remember, your spring tension or counterbalancing weights have to be matched to the combined wt
of the table and easel load. I made a nice dumbwaiter and pulley system with some lead shot in it to precisely balance one of my Durst tables.

Luis-F-S
14-Apr-2015, 20:51
You'll probably do better trying to find a used baseboard, or a least a junk one with the hardware intact. Trying to find the hardware new is going to be difficult. Don't know if you can mount the baseboard directly to the arm a-la 184 like mine. Good luck.

Drew Wiley
15-Apr-2015, 09:03
Indeed. Cannibalize the hardware from a clunker and then put it into your own board, if needed.

Ginette
15-Apr-2015, 11:09
I think it is near impossible to replicate the original tilting features of the Durst 138 without the original parts. Best way is to found a complete table or a broken one with all parts and to put the parts on a new wood board.

Without original metal parts, maybe you will be able to do a fixed top but you will have to respect the original heights of the parts because you will have to match the height of the two tilting rods in front. I think theses rods are very usefull for the final leveling of the baseboard.
As an indication : the ball joint is about 6.35mm height and the back is about 1.4mm only. Also as you can see on your arm, you have an angle where the ball joint fit on the arm.

First, can you post an image of your arm. Do you have the 2 tilting rods in front?

Simon Benton will come home and pickup a 138 at the end of the month and will give me a good advice as a cabinet maker on what it can be done as I have also another 138 that miss the tabletop.

Luis-F-S
16-Apr-2015, 18:15
There's a Laborator S45 on the Bay for $199 OBO in New Jersey. The head's shot, but it has a baseboard. They may be willing to work with you and ship you the hardware if you buy it! L

HMG
17-Apr-2015, 17:53
I think plywood, or possibly MDF, would be a better choice than a sheet of butcher block. Though not as pretty.

Luis-F-S
17-Apr-2015, 18:57
The issue is not what to make the baseboard out of, it's how the heck to attach it to the frame. I had a baseboard made once for a Chromega F by a formica countertop maker!

dsphotog
17-Apr-2015, 20:37
It couldn't hurt to post a WTB for the parts needed in the classified section.
Someone may have a parts chassis gathering dust

Luis-F-S
21-Apr-2015, 12:32
I think it is near impossible to replicate the original tilting features of the Durst 138 without the original parts.

Ginette, is there a way to attach a baseboard directly to the 138 arm without the tilting capability? I don't have a 138 to check since mine is on an L-184 chasis that attaches directly to the arm with 6 screws. Luis

allanedgar
11-Jun-2015, 07:48
I.ve got one I could sell you . Did you ever figure out or find one ?
allanedgar007@gmail.com