PDA

View Full Version : Miller or Cine 60 Tripod Heads? (11x14)

michael Allen
16-Jan-2005, 09:44
I'm taking delivery on a phillips 11x14 @ (12 lb's) and I am considering my tripod options. I read a couple of threads on the AZO Forum recomending a "cine 60" (made for the movie and television industry, and they are designed to securely hold VERY large film and video cameras. Dick Arentz is able to make verticals using this QR head.) I also understand Miller makes these types of heads as well.

My main reason for all this is to be able to go verticle with less of a struggle since I have no revesable back. I'm also considering the Ries recomendation, this was the overwelming majority from the last time I asked this question.

A surveyers tripod with a Miller/Cine 60 head is what I'm envisioning.

Thank you

Michael Mutmansky
16-Jan-2005, 10:32
Mike,

I can't speak to the Miller head, but the Cine 60 is not a head, it is a quick release plate system. It is very capable of supporting large and heavy cameras but it won't work on a surveyor's without a head that will support flipping the camera on it's side.

This is not as easy as you may think, however, because in many circumstances the camera will interfere with either the head, or the tripod legs before you are able to get it tilted over into a true vertical position, so any old head will not necessarily work. You need one that has enough of a cantilever above the pivot point to push the camera out to the side enough to get it vertical.

Many tilt-pan heads have only limited tilt capability to the side, so this can also cause a problem. A ball head is by far the easiest way to get a camera flipped on it's side, but many people object to the functionality of balheads with large cameras.

---Michael

David A. Goldfarb
16-Jan-2005, 12:17
The Gitzo G1570M (or is it the M1570G?--the big magnesium alloy low profile 3-way pan-tilt head) is enough for my 11x14", but I don't know that I'd want to turn it sideways. Fortunately mine has a reversible back.

I think Lotus makes an L-bracket that's designed for turning a banquet format camera to vertical. That might be something worth looking into.

clay harmon
16-Jan-2005, 16:52
I use the Cine 60 QR plate with a monster Majestic geared head for my 12x20 camera. It will securely hold my 18# camera on its side when I shoot verticals. I like the majestic geared head because I can just crank the whole thing over on its side with a little bit of control. Then only gotcha is that the legs have to be splayed out in such a way as to not interfere with the camera in its vertical position.

michael Allen
17-Jan-2005, 05:33
Thanks Clay,

Thats the answer I was lokking for.