PDA

View Full Version : Source for spent/exposed 4x5 sheet film.

gossamerjohn
13-Apr-2015, 21:10
Hello all.

I searched for this answer but didn't find one. I'm trying to find a source for spent or exposed 4x5 film so I can practice loading film holders, a Mod54, and maybe practice contact sheet printing. I'd like to do this rehearsal using something other than new, spent film of my own. I've checked local Craig's list, photog shops and processors, estate sales, etc. and I can't lay hands on them.

I'd like to practice these things prior to shooting with my new-to-me Graflex Crown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I've been lurking for a while and this site is a great resource.

AuditorOne
13-Apr-2015, 21:16
Pick up a box of very expired black & white film and pull a few sheets to practice with. That is what I did.

Tim Meisburger
13-Apr-2015, 21:23
Actually, anyone on this forum can send you some. Post your location, and ask someone to mail you some. I have some here in Bangkok in the trash can, but don't really want to pay for postage out of the country.

jcoldslabs
13-Apr-2015, 21:45
To familiarize yourself with loading film in both the holders and the Mod54 you could always cut some construction paper down to size (3 15/16" x 4 15/16") and practice loading that until you're able to do it with your eyes closed. It's not quite the same thickness or stiffness as real film, but it's close. Won't help with the contact printing aspect, though.

Jonathan

Liquid Artist
14-Apr-2015, 00:54
Although it isn't all that hard to learn on your own. In my opinion your better off finding another large format photographer to help you out in person.

If there aren't any locally, with it almost being summer, in the Northern Hemisphere (assuming you live in the Northern side of the planet) it may be a good time to take a trip and visit one.

Although I often have duplicates and don't always develop them I would never dream of passing them on.
Just because it's too easy for the wrong person to get their hands on them.

koraks
14-Apr-2015, 00:59
Cutting cardboard to size is a good idea! Although I just learned the hard way and all it cost me was the six sheets that came with the Mod54. By then, I had the basics down and any improvement was just speeding up the process.

Tim Meisburger
14-Apr-2015, 01:00
Although I often have duplicates and don't always develop them I would never dream of passing them on.
Just because it's too easy for the wrong person to get their hands on them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he is just looking for some old negatives to practice loading with, not exposed but undeveloped film. For contact printing John you might as well use your own negatives for practice, as it doesn't hurt them. I second the recommendation to try to find a local shooter. I learned everything from the internet, so its possible, but its a lot slower I thing that having someone show you.

Good luck!

Liquid Artist
14-Apr-2015, 03:12
Just a thought.
There is always some cheap, made in China B&W film on ebay in 4x5.

It may be worthwhile buying a box to experiment on.

In all honesty I ruined most of my sheets in the beginning with silly little camera mistakes. Such as taking the time to focus and compose a shot, then taking the darkslide out with the shutter still open.
The loading and developing of film was never an issue with me.

It doesn't mater how perfect your loading and developing procedures are if you can't get the photo in the first place.

Jerry Bodine
14-Apr-2015, 09:39
gossamerjohn - this video may be helpful to you before you start loading holders:
http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

gossamerjohn
14-Apr-2015, 17:13
Thanks for all of the responses you've taken time to write and the great suggestions. A member of the forum messaged me and offered to send me some spent negatives for practice sessions. I really appreciate everyone's help.