PDA

View Full Version : Fuji FP? Is it a fools errand?

Atracksler
11-Apr-2015, 07:19
Im thinking about getting a polaroid 405 or fuji 145, is the FP film discontinued? I can't seem to get a bead on this.... I don't really want to drop some money on a dead end holder that will just break my heart.....

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong forum category for this.....

//ad

vinny
11-Apr-2015, 07:33
Why do you think it's discontinued?
It's available everywhere for less than $10/pack.

Atracksler
11-Apr-2015, 07:37
this:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/02/20/fujifilm-discontinue-production-fp-100c-4x5-peel-apart-film/#.VSkxplyGhtw

maybe i'm missing the un-discontunuation notice....

Corran
11-Apr-2015, 07:56
That is full 4x5 instant film.

The 3.25 x 4.25 is still available everyday, and specifically that is the kind you need for the Polaroid 405 or Fuji 145 holders.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/18595-USA/Fujifilm_15435626_FP_100C_Professional_Instant_Color.html

Atracksler
11-Apr-2015, 08:19
Thanks a million!

jbenedict
11-Apr-2015, 08:20
I can see where the OP is coming from. That article referenced came out in Feb. of 2014 The article mentions the smaller stuff as well as the 4x5.

If I could find my Graflok PoloPack back, I might get a few packs and I have a Hassy PoloPack back but I don't think I'd count on Fuji providing instant tim into the future to the point of investing in a new back.

Atracksler
11-Apr-2015, 09:24
What's a decent pace on a 405/145 back?

EdSawyer
11-Apr-2015, 10:02
Under $100

RichSBV
11-Apr-2015, 12:06
If more people buy the film, there's less chance of it being discontinued! I still buy it and use in in both 4x5 and my RB67 cameras. Everyone loves an instant photo out of the RB...

jbenedict
11-Apr-2015, 12:26
Hmmmm... My experience has been that, if you can't look at it on a smartphone, most people flat out aren't interested in it.

vdonovan2000
11-Apr-2015, 14:26
Hmmmm... My experience has been that, if you can't look at it on a smartphone, most people flat out aren't interested in it.

I'm not sure if you are kidding or not. I get swarmed with people (young and old) when I'm out shooting instant film, especially with a vintage Polaroid camera. A great way to meet people in a bar is to set your Polaroid camera down next to your drink. Whenever I do that I'm in conversation with half the bar within minutes.

jbenedict
11-Apr-2015, 14:59
No, I'm not kidding. That has been my experience. Polaroid cameras (especially the SX-70 models which didn't have the gooey papers and came out of the camera like a tongue) used to be fun at parties kind of like people taking selfies now. But people now like to be able to take their own pictures and have them in a format where they can carry a thousand of them on their phones and see photo albums in a book as some quaint thing of the past. It would be interesting to know how many people have any digital photos printed out at a place like Walmart or who use self service kiosks wherever they are located. I wonder if people still put photos on the walls of their cubicles or offices or refrigerators or do they just give personal slide shows from their smartphones?

Are you sure these people you are 'swarmed with' aren't thinking, "Look at the dork with the weird thing that messy pictures come out of. Once you take them, what do you do with them?"

vdonovan2000
11-Apr-2015, 15:48
Are you sure these people you are 'swarmed with' aren't thinking, "Look at the dork with the weird thing that messy pictures come out of."

It's entirely possible! I've been shooting Polaroids on the street and in bars around here for years, always good experiences. I also bring a Polaroid when traveling, again with good response. San Francisco has a very lively community of Polaroid shooters, mostly young people in their 20s. We have a monthly Instant Camera Walk that attracts dozens.

It's impossible to generalize either way, but my experience is that many people, young and old, love the experience of instant photography.

None of this is a guarantee that Fuji FP-100c will live on. I believe the majority of it is still used for commercial purposes, especially license, passport and visa photos in developing countries which have not yet switched to digital systems. Even with its popularity, use by enthusiasts and creative people is a tiny part of the market.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 17:00
Chicago is not overwhelmed with Fujiroid shooters, at least the hipsters I know.

When I shoot Fujiroid at parties, i make a big deal out of it with whatever huge camera I can lug, put it on a tripod and use a speedlight.

I don't do this until half the crowd is happy, then I shoot portraits, and charge them $5 for each one that want to keep.

Pays for film and I get some keepers.

People love them, and I amazed how many have never seen a Fujiroid in any form.

Then they take a picture of it with their cell phone, after I get my $5. :)

Corran
11-Apr-2015, 17:00
I think people still love instant photos.

Perhaps that Polaroid documentary helped. I don't know, I thought it was poorly done and totally missed the opportunity to mention that "instant" film was still alive through Fuji.

I've done instant portraits on the street and I always get a great response. People love the old camera and the instant souvenir. I've had people email me years later and tell me they still cherish that image and would I do more for their band/event.

Two weeks from today I'll be at an art festival doing instant portraits and possibly tintypes and wetplate with some friends. Should be a good time. Which reminds me, time to check my FP-100c stash and order a bunch of needed....

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 17:13
I recently got 35 year old Polaroids from my first wife's estate. They were all the estate consisted of. :) I had shot most of them inside our home, of our friends and ourselves.

They were in perfect condition, I scanned them and posted them on FB.

Under an hour later FB had face identified one old friend, she was freaked and informed me by FB PM to remove those images immediately. I did and deleted her and all those old friends from FB. One bad apple and all must go. I don't miss them at all.

I treasure those ancient Polaroids. Pictures of the good times. Bless Anne's soul.

Corran
11-Apr-2015, 17:50
Under an hour later FB had face identified one old friend, she was freaked and informed me by FB PM to remove those images immediately.

Lame! People are so sensitive. As if anyone cares if they didn't look fabulous in some old photo.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 18:17
Lame! People are so sensitive. As if anyone cares if they didn't look fabulous in some old photo.

She was 30 years old and did look fabulous. Her husband in full beard, long hair was not identifiable nor did FB find him. He went nuts and forced the issue. He was my former best friend in HS, whom now I reject for reasons I cannot discuss here.

He lives in California and is a physician. His past embarrasses him. I am not afraid of my past nor anything I have on FB. :)

Corran
11-Apr-2015, 18:23
Hmm, well that's people for you I guess.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 18:28
Hmm, well that's people for you I guess.

Not my people.:)

I could bury him, but he is not worth the effort.

Jim Andrada
15-Apr-2015, 06:52
+1 on people love them. I took an SX-70 with Impossible film to the sports club and they still have the photos tacked to the weight room door.

Michael Cienfuegos
15-Apr-2015, 09:15
I love the stuff. I only wish the B&W Fuji 100 was still available. I still have a few packs, and a few packs of the 3000. When it's gone, it's gone. :( I just know that I'll not be able to afford the Project 55's offering if it ever does come to fruition.

m

vdonovan2000
15-Apr-2015, 09:25
I love the stuff. I only wish the B&W Fuji 100 was still available. I still have a few packs, and a few packs of the 3000. When it's gone, it's gone. :( I just know that I'll not be able to afford the Project 55's offering if it ever does come to fruition.

m

It wasn't long ago that FP-3000b was selling for $8 per pack at B&H. Sigh! The black and white 100 was a great film to use in the Polaroid Big Shot.

Michael Cienfuegos
15-Apr-2015, 18:05
It wasn't long ago that FP-3000b was selling for $8 per pack at B&H. Sigh! The black and white 100 was a great film to use in the Polaroid Big Shot.

I was only able to buy a few boxes at that price, I was short of cash at teh time. I stocked up on FP-100C a while back, still have about 12 packs.

m

Atracksler
16-Apr-2015, 07:37
So the color is the only thing being made for now? Black and white (3000b) is discontinued?

Corran
16-Apr-2015, 08:07
Yes. But there's still stock of the 3000B available. Sadly at a much higher price than it was last year.