PDA

View Full Version : Agfa Universal 5x7

mike rosenlof
10-Apr-2015, 14:19
Could someone who ownes on of these be so kind to measure the folded size of the package and post or PM to me?

Thanks much!
--mike

I guess while I'm here, I should ask, "how do you like it?"

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 15:11
Could someone who ownes on of these be so kind to measure the folded size of the package and post or PM to me?

Thanks much!
--mike

I guess while I'm here, I should ask, "how do you like it?"

You mean this camera? (http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/AGFA-ANSCO/Universal-View.html) I didn't know it's name.

I have a 5x7 Grey painted one that is newer with plastic knobs. Mine is 7.5" deep, 8.5" wide and 11.5" tall folded with the built in rear extension. A lens will stick out farther.

I like it and I have 4 different slider backs for it.

William Whitaker
10-Apr-2015, 15:15
Folded, my Agfa 5x7 measures 7 inches front-to-back, 11 1/2 inches tall and 9 5/8 inches wide. The last measurement includes the focusing knobs for the rear standard.

Agfas are great cameras. I have this one and one very similar in 8x10 plus an 8x10 studio camera on a stand. There were a number of variations over the course of production. Later versions had Bakelite knobs. I prefer the earlier metal knobs. Some cameras have more movements that others and, in the 8x10, there were two lens board sizes: 6 inches and 7 1/2 inches. But you were asking about 5x7...
And I like it just fine.

mike rosenlof
10-Apr-2015, 15:30
Thanks gentlemen! All useful info.

mdarnton
10-Apr-2015, 15:34
I've got a 5x7 and an 8x10 and they're both fantastic and very clever cameras. The tripod that was made for them works just right, too, and worth finding. My 5x7 is the deluxe model, grey with plated brass knobs.

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 15:42
Will is correct, I didn't include the knobs or the lens board tilter.

Michael's has magic dust inside, which makes his pictures better...:)

John Kasaian
10-Apr-2015, 16:13
If cameras were fruit, the Agfa-Ansco Universal 5x7 would be a peach!:cool:

Jim Andrada
10-Apr-2015, 18:17
+1 - great camera. I just wish they had found a different way to lock the rear standard - the way it stocke out adds an inch to the collapsed length.

Louis Pacilla
10-Apr-2015, 19:16
I'm very happy that I have the 5x7 Universal in "Standard" Adams Brown version.:) Great camera!

And I agree that the matching Agfa/Ansco Universal Stand w/ double tilt head is the cat's pj's.

Patrick13
10-Apr-2015, 19:50
I have an agfa-ansco 5x7 but only with a 4x5 back, and brass knobs so pre-gray era, not sure if it's a Universal or not. It is not a petite camera ;)
If you need measurements still I can fold it up tomorrow and chime in.

http://i.imgur.com/Hs4KrnW.jpg

Jim Andrada
10-Apr-2015, 22:29
+1 - great camera. I just wish they had found a different way to lock the rear standard - the way it stocke out adds an inch to the collapsed length.

Tin Can
10-Apr-2015, 23:02
The ad-vantage is you never lose the extension.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?80480-Agfa-Ansco-8-x-10-Camera-Model&p=774864&viewfull=1#post774864

Leonard Robertson
11-Apr-2015, 08:32
Here is additional information you may find interesting:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?16162-5X7-Ansco-futher-thoughts

The weight of the Ansco may or may not be important to you, but you should be aware it isn't a light camera. However most of the folks who posted on that thread don't really seem to care that it is a bit heavy. The advantages offset the extra weight.

I don't know if all the grey painted Anscos came with a bellows made of a plastic material which hardens with age, but both my 5X7 and 8X10 have that sort of bellows. This only matters because it makes using full bellows extension and front rise and tilt a bit more difficult due to the stiffness of the bellows. Maybe both my camera were stored in a hot attic at some time in their life and the plastic bellows isn't normally a problem for grey Anscos.The earlier natural wood finish Anscos may have a more supple bellows.

I hope I don't sound negative about Anscos since I love both mine.

Len

Tin Can
11-Apr-2015, 09:45
That's a great link to the earlier discussion. My plastic bellows are just fine and an Ansco can support a big lens. I have a Calter S 240mm in Copal 3 always mounted on mine, and it does stick out the front. It's big and heavy, but it's admits great straight rays. I like using the 5x7 slider back, to make 2 tall format 5X3.5 portraits very quickly.