PDA

View Full Version : Spikes on Gitzo legs

Richard Littlewood
14-Jan-2005, 10:36
I have a pretty old Gitzo tripod - a Cremaillere 3. As a tripod I love it, but the fact it had no spikes on the legs really griped me, especially using it on wet-ish ground. So I thought I'd put some on, and here's how I did it - if any one is remotely interested!
1- Pull out the rubbery bung like 'feet'
2- Drill an 8mm hole clean through them - this was easier than I thought it would be.
3- Flatten the bottoms of these bungs so they will accomodate a washer.
4- Decide how long the spikes need to be - including the hidden part within the legs - I thought 3 inches was about OK.
5- Using M8 bolts - the type with a rounded head- I think they are called roofing screws - stainless steel if you like! Cut to length and sharpen to a blunted point leaving the head on, as this is located on top of the bung in side the tripod leg.
6- Pop the sharpened bolt through the bung hole, add a washer to the other end, run up a ny-lock nut (without tightening)
7- Push the bung back into the leg - it's a good push fit, and grip the bottom of the spike while tightening the nut.
8- The whole tightening of the nut expands the bung so it becomes rock solid.
9- Do that on all 3 legs!
I am really pleased with these spikes, they are as long as I want, and very secure, and as this is my field tripod I dont mind them always being there. I reckon I could also fend off large flesh eating mammals with it now.