PDA

View Full Version : ULF NEW 7X17 mystery EBay holders, just arrived, who made them? MINT!

Tin Can
9-Apr-2015, 17:14
After I bought a Korona 7x17 from a seller here recently, I took a chance on eBay and think I scored again. The seller had incorrectly measured the width of their item, 2 VGC 7x17 film holders by an obvious inch 171720975461. I waited until my Forum camera arrived and checked dimensions, yep, seller was wrong. I asked the seller to double check, she did and admitted a mistake. I made a best offer, she countered and I bought the only 2 for sale.

They got here an hour ago. They are almost mint, looks like they may have been put in a camera once from a single dark mark on each. Very well made, and they match my original Korona holder, so much so the DS are interchangeable and have the same DS material, yet, slightly different handles. Also the OE Korona will fit X-Ray 7x17 just so, but these new 2 holders need a slim slice removed. No problem for me.

So who made these? These are not the 'MADE IN USA' (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?121051-Stamped-Made-in-USA-shipping-from-china-7x17-film-holders) ones I talked about 2 weeks ago. The only marks on these are tiny #'s in ink by hand, by the riblock. Mine are 1,2,5,6 most likely a series. I bet somebody has 3,4.

Pictures 1,2,3 are the new ones, and 4 is the OE Korona next to a new one. Notice different screw positions and a beefer DS handle on the OE. Somebody copied the OE Krona almost perfectly.

T distance matches old and new, as does riblock and OD. The new ones have a slightly shorter image length, from a wider flap, perhaps an improvement.

Lachlan 717
9-Apr-2015, 17:17
They look like S&S. Have a look for an indented stamp.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2015, 17:25
I just checked again with my glasses off, so I can see close up. Nothing, excerpt 3 file marks on all four flaps that can't be film identifiers as they are all the same.

Doug Howk
9-Apr-2015, 18:12
I have an 7X17 S&S, and yours looks very similar. Don't see any indent stamp on mine.
There was a review several years ago in View Camera magazine that discussed the manufacturers of ULF holders.

sanking
9-Apr-2015, 18:16
Randy,

Look like early S&S holders from around 1998-2000. The cherry wood has darkened, but not nearly to the degree of the old Korona holders. S&S holders were originally made for me and my friend Sam Wang for personal use in our Korona 7X17 cameras so the design and fit were to Korona standard. All of the S&S cherry holders were made in the US by a craftsman from Virginia.

Sandy

sanking
9-Apr-2015, 18:18
I have an 7X17 S&S, and yours looks very similar. Don't see any indent stamp on mine.
There was a review several years ago in View Camera magazine that discussed the manufacturers of ULF holders.

Many of the S&S holders did have a red stamp on the inside of the flap, but not all of them have the stamp.

Sandy

pierre506
9-Apr-2015, 19:23
Good score~

Tin Can
9-Apr-2015, 19:28
Randy,

Look like early S&S holders from around 1998-2000. The cherry wood has darkened, but not nearly to the degree of the old Korona holders. S&S holders were originally made for me and my friend Sam Wang for personal use in our Korona 7X17 cameras so the design and fit were to Korona standard. All of the S&S cherry holders were made in the US by a craftsman from Virginia.

Sandy

Thanks for the confirmation Sandy, these are lighter in color than my digipic, much lighter color than the OE Korona holder.

Very well made!

Tin Can
9-Apr-2015, 19:30
Good score~

I got them, because seller didn't know what they were and gave incorrect dimensions.

I think a few of us have scored that way. :)

pierre506
9-Apr-2015, 21:10
I got them, because seller didn't know what they were and gave incorrect dimensions.

I think a few of us have scored that way. :)
I need to score 2 8x20 holders that way.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2015, 21:20
I need to score 2 8x20 holders that way.

They weren't free, but are LN. I don't need more than 3 holders for my plans.

I might ask, why 8x20, I went 7x17 for 2 reasons. 7X17 DS X-Ray is cheap and I have bit of 14X17 Ektascan I can cut in half.

Do you plan to buy Iford Special Cut? I will also get some of that.

pierre506
9-Apr-2015, 21:53
They weren't free, but are LN. I don't need more than 3 holders for my plans.

I might ask, why 8x20, I went 7x17 for 2 reasons. 7X17 DS X-Ray is cheap and I have bit of 14X17 Ektascan I can cut in half.

Do you plan to buy Iford Special Cut? I will also get some of that.
ALL because my 12x20 camera has a 8x20 reduced back.

Tin Can
9-Apr-2015, 22:07
ALL because my 12x20 camera has a 8x20 reduced back.

OK, I see. We all have our reasons.

I don't think I can handle anything bigger, than what I am doing. I sold a 14x17 Medical Film holder I had as I felt it was going to lead to too big of camera and film for my crappy hands to load and develop.

I need a muse, that can handle the heavy work!

Michael Cienfuegos
10-Apr-2015, 13:07

I don't think I can handle anything bigger, than what I am doing. I sold a 14x17 Medical Film holder I had as I felt it was going to lead to too big of camera and film for my crappy hands to load and develop.

I tried my girl friend, but she can't hardly carry her own camera, much less mine. :( I have a little pull cart that I can carry stuff in. My 8x10 doesn't get too far away from the car, believe me. I'm getting too old to carry too much of this stuff for any distance. It it's too far, the Leica will have to suffice.

m

Jim Noel
10-Apr-2015, 13:15
I just need a muse period. At 86 one is handy to remind me of what life used to be.
We can all benefit by following Morley's motto: "There are no good pictures more than 50 feet from the car."

mikeber
10-Apr-2015, 13:39
I just need a muse period. At 86 one is handy to remind me of what life used to be.
We can all benefit by following Morley's motto: "There are no good pictures more than 50 feet from the car."

Kudos to you sir, for keeping up with this kind of photography at your age!

Jim Noel
10-Apr-2015, 14:24
Kudos to you sir, for keeping up with this kind of photography at your age!

Thank you.
Since retiring from teaching LF photography at the college 2 years ago, photography is what keeps me young.But I sure do miss the mingling with the young people.

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2015, 14:43

:)

Wishing many more years of good health, good seeing and enjoyable picture-making to you, sir!

Andrew Plume
11-Apr-2015, 04:07
me too, keep going Jim

best regards
andrew

Andrew Plume
11-Apr-2015, 04:09

isni't "a mule" and not "a muse"

regards
andrew

Tin Can
12-Apr-2015, 09:35
There's more to the story and it is not over yet.

This is directed at Sandy King. My apologies for incorrectly thinking my new to me, used S&S film holders will not allow X-Ray film to slide in because it is too wide. Not the case at all, just a too quick observation from first attempt at inserting 7X17 X-Ray film, which is exactly 7x17 inches into these 2 S&S holders.

I found this thread that addresses the issue. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?16253-Efke-PL100-7x17-film-does-not-fit-my-holders-!!!&p=144500&viewfull=1#post144500

However, I still have a film problem and will explain that in another post when I can completely document the issue.

Once again, I apologize to Sandy King for my hasty judgement. :)