PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2-d 8x10 info

Elithoma
8-Apr-2015, 19:17
Hi everyone.
I recently bought a Kodak 2-d camera on eBay and was wondering if anyone had information about it. I've tried to find some sort of manual but considering how old it probably is I haven't had much luck. I was also wondering if anyone would know roughly what year this one was made. The serial number is 118184. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jac@stafford.net
8-Apr-2015, 19:26
I am fairly confident in saying that whatever you paid for it is all it's worth.

It is a user-camera. I hope you plan to use it. If it is exceptionally clean,
bright, polished an waxed it might also be a nice display unit.

It is not unique. Hope that's not a bummer for you. Regardless, enjoy
what it is - an old camera that you can still use today! (if the bellows
are good.)

Michael Clark
8-Apr-2015, 19:40
I have a 8x10 Kodak 2D and it is a very simple camera and should not be very hard to figure out how to use it once it is setting in front of you. Can not help with the year,there must be a site that can list serial #'s and dates. Mine has 294 the only number I can find stamped on the base plate.

Mike

Michael Roberts
8-Apr-2015, 20:31
Hi everyone.
I recently bought a Kodak 2-d camera on eBay and was wondering if anyone had information about it. I've tried to find some sort of manual but considering how old it probably is I haven't had much luck. I was also wondering if anyone would know roughly what year this one was made. The serial number is 118184. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

http://piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc/2d.htm

Will S
9-Apr-2015, 08:01
Michael - where did you find the dates on that site? The only date I have for mine (331000) is between 1941 and 1945 based on a thread in apug. Thanks! Will

Ken Lee
9-Apr-2015, 08:45
I have 2 5x7 2D cameras and have not been able to determine their actual ages using that site: only the long range of dates during which the camera was manufactured.

Drew Bedo
9-Apr-2015, 10:12
I can't find any details on the Kodak Eastman View No. 2D in my McKeown's guide (the 2002 edition). Only a short paragraph dismissing them as "not collectable".

jbenedict
9-Apr-2015, 10:17
A Kodak 2D is a good working photog's camera. Cleaned up, the wood is pretty and the brass parts look good. Bellows are pretty easy to find if you need them. Not as full featured as some but I think you will find that you don't need all of the movements as much as you think you do.

Jon Shiu
9-Apr-2015, 10:21
Use the Graflex serial number data to estimate the date. I would guess you can narrow it down to within a year or two.
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html

Jon

Michael Cienfuegos
9-Apr-2015, 11:50
I have 2 5x7 2D cameras and have not been able to determine their actual ages using that site: only the long range of dates during which the camera was manufactured.

Check your serial numbers with "Shutterfinger" on APUG. According to him my 5x7 was made in 1928 and my 8x10 in 1936.

m

Michael Roberts
9-Apr-2015, 16:09
Michael - where did you find the dates on that site? The only date I have for mine (331000) is between 1941 and 1945 based on a thread in apug. Thanks! Will

Will and Ken,
The link is just to the catalog for more info on the camera for the OP.

I have the same list of serial numbers as on the site Jon Shiu provided.

Michael

goamules
9-Apr-2015, 17:50
I'm not sure if the 2D bashing is tongue in cheek, because it's a very popular, ubiquitous antique LF camera. Kodak took the best features of several early makers like Century, and combined them when they bought those companies out. The only thing I don't like about the "D" version is the "Dark" finish. The earlier cameras showcased beautiful mahogany. Either way, they are good cameras, using a standard 6" lensboard. I have had 4 or 5 of them, and still have 2.

Mark Sampson
9-Apr-2015, 20:19
Hey- the 2-D was good enough for Alfred Steiglitz! The GEH has his- Georgia O'Keefe donated it to them after his death, and it was on display there a few years back.

mathieu Bauwens
10-Apr-2015, 00:15
Hello guys,

What kind of backpack do you use to transport the 2D to go on location ?

Thanks

Dario
18-Jul-2015, 18:37
Hi folks

I have a Kodak 2-D manufactured by Graflex Folmer, but I can't find a serial numbe ron it. Where should I look, please?

Thanks

Jon Shiu
18-Jul-2015, 19:20
Hi folks

I have a Kodak 2-D manufactured by Graflex Folmer, but I can't find a serial numbe ron it. Where should I look, please?

Thanks
Looking at ground glass, it is just below that on the left on the base part that swivels. Sometimes a bracket covers the first part of the number.

Jon137119