PDA

View Full Version : wisner 8x20

robert_4927
14-Jan-2005, 04:58
for those of you trying to decide on 7x17 or 8x20 with weight being an issue, I just took delivery on a beautiful wisner 8x20 expedition...weight 14lb. this in not the p model this is with the standard spring back.

Robert Skeoch
14-Jan-2005, 05:50
Wow, sounds great, which weekend can I borrow it.
-Rob (near Toronto, but would be willing to travel to borrow it)

Roger Hein
14-Jan-2005, 07:18
That's pretty good - my 7x17 Technical weighs just over 13 lbs but it's the additional 'stuff' (holders, lenses, case, etc) that really chalks up the overall weight of the kit. Did your camera come with the 'new' lamb skin bellows?

Michael Kadillak
14-Jan-2005, 07:49
Congrats!

What length bellows does this model have?

Cheers!

Jeff Moore
14-Jan-2005, 09:00
Just out of curiosity Robert, what was the time frame between the time you placed the order (paid for the camera) and delivery?

George Losse
14-Jan-2005, 09:39
Robert,

Congrat's on the new camera. I look forward to seeing beautiful photographs from it.

The weight sounds great. I have an 8x20 Technical and it weighs about nine pounds heavier.

Jorge Gasteazoro
14-Jan-2005, 10:12
for those of you trying to decide on 7x17 or 8x20 with weight being an issue, I just took delivery on a beautiful wisner 8x20 expedition...weight 14lb. this in not the p model this is with the standard spring back.

I beleive you are wrong, please send the camera to me so I can verify your weight measurement...

Congrats and enjoy......I am green with envy.. :)

Bruce E. Rathbun
14-Jan-2005, 16:42
Nice. My technical 8x20 weighs in at 22 lbs. Should have gotten the expedition model. Those darn 8x20's are so nice to use no matter the weight.

robert_4927
14-Jan-2005, 19:26
Yes it has the new lamb skin bellows ...as a matter of fact ron informs me my bellows was the model for the photo on the wisner web site. As for the time frame...I ordered the camera and took delivery in 8 weeks

robert_4927
14-Jan-2005, 19:32
Mike i"ll have to get back to you on exact bellows draw. I'm presently out of town. But good question I was so excited to get this cherry beauty I never thought to check

robert_4927
14-Jan-2005, 19:37
Oh BTW, the lamb skin bellows is awesome. Much more supple, less seams than the kid bellows on my 8x10.

Michael Kadillak
16-Jan-2005, 16:12
Thanks Robert. Second question - what film holders are you using?

Good Shooting!

robert_4927
18-Jan-2005, 19:28
mike, sorry it took so long to get back to you, as i said i was out of town. I just stretched out the 8x20 with it's new vertical back. ( lead time was also 8 weeks on the vertical back ) But i honestly think it was more like 6 weeks. I had ordered the camera and then as the camera was being finished i added the vertical back to the order. I wish everyone could see this bellows it really is one of the nicest I've seen. With the standards stretched the bellows draw is easily 36 inches. By racking the front standard you could probably get a little more out of it. This being the only new camera I've every owned I'm handling it like a piece of fine china. ( I seriously thought about scratching it so i could start useing it like my other cameras ( that's my cure for any new pickup truck i by ...first thing is to take a ballpeen hammer and put a dent in the bed .....there...now you can treat it like a truck.) but i just can't bring myself to do it. As for film holders, i bought three wisner holders when i ordered the camera. They seem to work very well, much smoother than the plastic holders i'm currently using on my 8x10. I haven't exposed a sheet of 8x20 yet so i can't comment on how light tight they are. The dark slides seem to fit precisely . Trust me, I'm chomping at the bit here to get shooting. Any pointers or comments are welcome. ......Good Light, Robert

Ralph Barker
18-Jan-2005, 19:39
Robert - while Jorge was only willing to weigh the camera for you, I'm actually willing to scratch it for you as well. Just ship it to me, along with a couple of film holders, and I'll perform that delicate operation for you. I should note, however, that proper aesthetic scratching will take 6-8 weeks. ;-)

robert_4927
18-Jan-2005, 20:55
mike, sorry it took so long to get back to you, as i said i was out of town. I just stretched out the 8x20 with it's new vertical back. ( lead time was also 8 weeks on the vertical back ) But i honestly think it was more like 6 weeks. I had ordered the camera and then as the camera was being finished i added the vertical back to the order. I wish everyone could see this bellows it really is one of the nicest I've seen. With the standards stretched the bellows draw is easily 36 inches. By racking the front standard you could probably get a little more out of it. This being the only new camera I've every owned I'm handling it like a piece of fine china. I seriously thought about scratching it so i could start useing it like my other cameras ( that's my cure for any new pickup truck i buy ...first thing is to take a ball-peen hammer and put a dent in the bed .....there...now you can treat it like a truck.) but i just can't bring myself to do it. As for film holders, i bought three wisner holders when i ordered the camera. They seem to work very well, much smoother than the plastic holders i'm currently using on my 8x10. I haven't exposed a sheet of 8x20 yet so i can't comment on how light tight they are. The dark slides seem to fit precisely . Trust me, I'm chomping at the bit here to get shooting. Any pointers or comments are welcome. ......Good Light, Robert

robert_4927
18-Jan-2005, 20:56
sorry for the double post

robert_4927
18-Jan-2005, 21:10
Ralph, Thank you so much. The world could use more charitable people like you. I'll overnight the camera tomorrow UPS. Being such an expensive item I'll put a required signature on delivery, That way i'll know you'll recieve it personally. Now the only thing you need to do is stay home all day and wait on ups to show up. Thank you again for donating your time and expertise. Robert