PDA

View Full Version : ULF Old Symmar f:6.8 F=30cm looking good on 7x17 first look

Tin Can
7-Apr-2015, 21:58
I mounted my first 7x17 lens, the above Symmar f:6.8 F=30cm, which I bought some time ago, clean glass, Compound shutter runs good. It's very light compared to my modern 300mm Symmar-S.

I chose this lens from researching 7X17 lenses here on the forum and found a little talk about it in 2006.

Looking at GG in studio and swinging an arc while center focused sharply, reveals sharp focus even at the edges. No shift drift, but it does dim, of course. Stopping down did not seem to change focus. I also must be close to FP axis.

I cannot find the filter size yet, it's slightly smaller than 55 and bigger than 52m, so I hope I can find 53mm filter or step up adapter as I think that must be it.

A Series 7 hood just starts, the lens threads are not perfect. But the hood severely vignettes, so I need, I guess a series 7 to 58mm adapter.

I have a Lee rubber band filter holder that will work, I could mount it inside.

Found this more recent mention (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?72725-Doppel-Anastigmats-which-one-you-value-and-why&p=692146&viewfull=1#post692146). compared to a Dagor, the poster sold the Symmar and kept Dagor.

Now I need this new park to open, as dust is bad right now and it's illegal to enter. If it ever gets warm I will go to my 2 story flat roof.

Starting to get the itch to shoot a couple. :)

Corran
8-Apr-2015, 05:59
If it's a dagor design it should cover with quite a bit to spare, I think (at smaller stops of course). My G-Claron 305mm f/9, older dagor design, covers my 8x20 with some room to spare, from what I can see.

I'd love to see the results, eventually.

Jody_S
8-Apr-2015, 06:45
When I was looking for a cheap 12" dagor or clone, the older Symmar was high on my list, but I eventually found an alternative on the forum here for even less. I'm curious as to how well it performs, please keep us posted when you have results.

Jim Galli
8-Apr-2015, 12:18
Randy, fwiw, I once upon a time had both a 14" Gold Dot Kern Dagor and one of these early Symmar's. Both single coated. After comparing images, I sold the Dagor, not because the Symmar was any better, but they were so close, the extra $1500 the Dagor fetched was nice in my pocket. Long ago spent on certain Ford's though.

Tin Can
8-Apr-2015, 12:28
Randy, fwiw, I once upon a time had both a 14" Gold Dot Kern Dagor and one of these early Symmar's. Both single coated. After comparing images, I sold the Dagor, not because the Symmar was any better, but they were so close, the extra $1500 the Dagor fetched was nice in my pocket. Long ago spent on certain Ford's though.

Thanks Jim, I will keep and use it. Looks great in studio on GG, next in the field.

A bonus is the well working Compound shutter and it's lightweight.

I do know when to not chase the magic bullet...

neil poulsen
8-Apr-2015, 12:57
I mounted my first 7x17 lens, the above Symmar f:6.8 F=30cm, which I bought some time ago, clean glass, Compound shutter runs good. It's very light compared to my modern 300mm Symmar-S.

Out of curiosity, is the lens coated?

Tin Can
8-Apr-2015, 13:03
Out of curiosity, is the lens coated?

I don't believe so. Shining a bright white LED flashlight into the front lens, first reflection is white and the second anber.

I am not experienced in this distinction, but I do know modern multi coatings, as they are easy to spot.

I have a number of old Artar and they look the same.

Paul Cunningham
4-Jan-2016, 22:52
I cannot find the filter size yet, it's slightly smaller than 55 and bigger than 52m, so I hope I can find 53mm filter or step up adapter as I think that must be it.

Hi Randy, I just acquired one of these lenses (in an Acme No 4 Synchro). Did you find out the filter size? I'm guessing it's an old pitch and diameter.

Tin Can
5-Jan-2016, 10:35
Hi Randy, I just acquired one of these lenses (in an Acme No 4 Synchro). Did you find out the filter size? I'm guessing it's an old pitch and diameter.

No, I use the rubber band Lee filter holder.

I have access to a huge pile of old Series type adapters and will be checking them some day...

Paul Cunningham
5-Jan-2016, 10:37
I'll take it into Citizens and/or Blue Moon here. That should do the trick.

Tin Can
5-Jan-2016, 10:44
I'll take it into Citizens and/or Blue Moon here. That should do the trick.

Let us know what you find out?

Thanks!