PDA

View Full Version : HP5+ box opened

NoBob
7-Apr-2015, 06:44
Someone I know opened a new box of Ilford HP5+ ISO 400 4x5 sheets that arrived in the post for me. I should have said not to open the box, but they did. They cut the tab and looked inside.

Should I be worried about the film being exposed?

vinny
7-Apr-2015, 07:14
I'd be more worried about disposing of that person's body.
Yes, you should be worried.

brucep
7-Apr-2015, 07:19
Take a sheet out. Hold it up to a bright light and see if it looks fogged. If not then return to box and repeat with all the other sheets 😈.

Seriously though, it was still enclosed in a black bag and probably the inner box so the chances are that it is fine.

Test a sheet.

NoBob
7-Apr-2015, 07:24
Is the HP5+box (25 sheets) double boxed so to speak? Or do the film sheets just sit inside wrappers inside the main box? I haven't felt inside yet.

Tracy Storer
7-Apr-2015, 07:34
In my experience, Ilford uses a triple box with film in between cardstock in an unsealed, folded over black bag...How bad it is will depend how curious/clueless your friend was. I'd order more film right away and make sure nobody else touches it. Your film might be toast.

NoBob
7-Apr-2015, 07:50
Apparently the film is inside a plastic bag inside the box, which I'll have to cut open. Sounds like different packaging to the double box nested packaging.

Liquid Artist
7-Apr-2015, 08:13
I'd still be worried.
If they opened 1 box there's a good chance they opened everything.

However it's easy enough to test a sheet.

It's a good example why we should always write Film Inside on the packaging.

diversey
7-Apr-2015, 08:45
Ilford HP5+ 400 100 sheet package is in 4 sealed pouches inside triple-box. I believe other Ilford packages, 25 sheets or 50 sheets, should have the same kind of packages and they are okay if the pouch is not opened.

Jim Noel
7-Apr-2015, 09:30
Ilford HP5+ 400 100 sheet package is in 4 sealed pouches inside triple-box. I believe other Ilford packages, 25 sheets or 50 sheets, should have the same kind of packages and they are okay if the pouch is not opened.

You are correct about the packaging. If the pouches are not opened, the film should be fine.

NoBob
7-Apr-2015, 09:33
I read a user review of 100 sheet boxes on the B&H website about the pouches, and being able to open the box and transfer them to other boxes, so you don't need to carry 100 sheets around. Wasn't sure if the same pouches were in the 25 sheet boxes.

Peter Lewin
7-Apr-2015, 09:55
I read a user review of 100 sheet boxes on the B&H website about the pouches, and being able to open the box and transfer them to other boxes, so you don't need to carry 100 sheets around. Wasn't sure if the same pouches were in the 25 sheet boxes.
They're the same pouches as in the 25-sheet box. The 100 sheet box contains 4 25-sheet pouches, all they do is produce a bigger triple box to hold the 4 pouches.

Tracy Storer
7-Apr-2015, 11:44
Sounds like the 4x5 packaging is different from 8x10 and 3.25x4.25, which both use an unsealed black bag.......?

Peter Lewin
7-Apr-2015, 12:03
I think we are differing on semantics. The 4x5 film comes in a black plastic envelope probably something like 4X8, so the long end is just folded over to make a 4x5 package; it would be light-tight but not technically "sealed." There is one of these packages in a 25-sheet box, and four of them in the 100-sheet box. In the OP's original question, as long as the envelope was not disturbed (i.e. the folded end remained completely folded over) the envelope would be light-tight and the film probably OK.

Fred L
7-Apr-2015, 13:13
What I want to know is - why would they even crack the seal and open the box in the first place ??

Liquid Artist
7-Apr-2015, 13:56
What I want to know is - why would they even crack the seal and open the box in the first place ??
If your shipping the film over a border customs basically has the right to examine any package by opening it.
If this is what happened they would have not taken any precautions. So the film would most likely be ruined.

They are usually good if you write film inside, but not always.

Fred L
7-Apr-2015, 17:04
AI gree but OP said it was someone they knew so took that to mean it wasn't customs or border control.

NoBob
7-Apr-2015, 23:32
Was thinking, it might seem obvious to a LF photographer, to someone who's done their research, but not to everyone. After all, it's okay to open a box with a 35mm film cartridge inside...

Tracy Storer
10-Apr-2015, 10:53
Was thinking, it might seem obvious to a LF photographer, to someone who's done their research, but not to everyone. After all, it's okay to open a box with a 35mm film cartridge inside...

Doesn't seem that long ago, that film boxes would have "open in total darkness" on the label, I looked, and didn't find it on my recent boxes of Ilford sheet films.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2015, 11:03
Why would this person open it if it was addressed to you? I'd be flamin' mad!!

appletree
10-Apr-2015, 11:22
Note to self: write "film inside, do NOT open" on all my paper/film. No one is ever around any of it or where it is stored, but you never know. Some people (younger generation) might not even realize film's sensitivity to light or even know much, if anything, about film/paper.

But yes, it seems odd someone opened it. Most likely an accident due to curiosity or not knowing or whatever.

StoneNYC
10-Apr-2015, 12:33
Ok, to clarify, both 8x10 and 4x5 boxes of HP5+ (and any other sheet film they make, save the ULF special order which I can't comment on) come in the same tripple box with black pouch/bag/whatever you want to call it, and then inside the bag you have a white paper folded piece of cardboard around the film...

Images are worth 1000 words... (4x5 and 8x10 HP5+ packaging).

Unless your idiot friend actually pulled out the black pouch to inspect it and opened the side of the black pouch, the only thing you really should be concerned shoot is the edges of the film possibly being fogged. Because the paper cardboard that sandwiches the film should have protected it from light.

Ilfords black pouch however is NOT light tight (unlike Fuji's black sealed pouch which I've held up directly to the sun and even that light didn't come through on a single side) so the edges of the film where the cardboard wouldn't have covered would be the only concern.

I suggest you test one sheet, a "top" sheet, to be sure, but most likely it's probably fine.

I would still slap your friend for being an idiot.

Also, yes it seems recently ilford has taken off the "open only in complete darkness" from the actual label with the notch code, but it is on the package, just not where anyone would actually look... (HP5+ 8x10 and 4x5 side of box).

which is really odd and annoying, fuji on the other hand goes so far as to even say not to open in light but ALSO not to X-Ray the film, even their slow films say this on the packaging, and in a place people might actually bother to look and read... (Fuji Acros100 4x5 box).

In this time of digital technology I'm surprised they don't plaster the "open only in total darkness or product will be ruined!" And "do not x-ray or contents may be damaged!" On the front, back, AND sides, and in LARGE BOLD LETTERING, because people are not aware of films sensitivity to light, or rather they don't quite comprehend the concept now that digital is prevalent which doesn't have such restrictions, and as others said, 35mm the most common, CAN be opened in the light, at least to the extent you're not going to break open a metal canister, but a seal on a box, people don't think of that the same way.

Anyway, good luck! And hope the visuals helped clear up the confusion about ilford packaging.

NoBob
16-Apr-2015, 12:21
Thanks Stone. Thanks for posting the pictures and info.