PDA

View Full Version : Horseman 45 le vs sinar f1/alpina

Atracksler
7-Apr-2015, 05:55
I think I've narrowed it down to these two.

Will be using it for portraits, studio tabletop and some landscape. (I realize that they are heavy for long hikes, but thems the breaks)

Plusses? Minuses?

Right now I have a graflex 135/4.5 lens.

Looking for a sturdy, solid foundation for my LF choice.

Thanks in advance.

Luis-F-S
7-Apr-2015, 09:40
I'd go with a Sinar f2. Readily available and cheap. I bought two within the past year for $300 ea. Much sturdier camera than the f1, for not much more money. L

Peter Lewin
7-Apr-2015, 09:52
I have no experience with the Horseman, but I have owned a Sinar F. I would go with the Sinar because it is a system camera, meaning you can upgrade just about every component to higher-level models, and components are readily available on the used market. The Alpina was the lowest-priced model Sinar produced, the F series is a step up, and the F2 was the final model in the series.

Taija71A
7-Apr-2015, 13:21
... Looking for a sturdy, solid foundation for my LF choice.

If you are looking for a sturdy and solid camera... It is Horseman all the way.

Even the 'top of the line' Sinar (P2) is not as sturdy and solid...
As the 'top of the line' Horseman (LX). *Yes, I have used/own both of them.

Atracksler
7-Apr-2015, 13:29
I'm looking at the horseman le....

Peter De Smidt
7-Apr-2015, 13:32
I've owned and used many Sinars, including an Alpina, and I worked with a Horseman for about a year. Of those two, I'd go with the Horseman. It's a little studier, and a number of things are compatible between these brands. Lens boards, bellows, reflex viewers.... For a Sinar, I agree with Luis that an F2 would be a good start. Currently, I have a P, but it's a studio/next to the car camera for me. In the past I have done short back packing trips with one, but I'd much rather have my Toyo AX in those situations.

Drew Wiley
7-Apr-2015, 13:44
The Alpina does not share the standard Sinar rail like the F-series, which are a lot more versatile. My favorite Sinar for hiking is actually the Norma. But I have
walked literally tens of thousands of miles over the years carrying Sinar F gear. Just depends on your conditioning. One advantage of the Sinar system is that it's
very easy to get spare parts and components for. I'm very glad it was the first system I bought into. All the components from the different series can be interchanged and reconfigured for different applications. The Toyo uses an oversized lensboard that make it a bit bulky, though it's a fine camera. Horseman and
Sinar bellows can be interchanged. Some lensboards can be, some can't. If you're looking at used gear, condition is more important than brand. And because so
many configurations of Sinar exist, you have to be alert to what you're actually buying. Sometimes people scrap together odds n' ends of different systems and
mislabel them for sale.

Taija71A
7-Apr-2015, 14:13
... If you're looking at used gear, condition is more important than brand. And because so many configurations of Sinar exist, you have to be alert to what you're actually buying. Sometimes people scrap together odds n' ends of different systems and mislabel them for sale.

Drew has just made an Excellent comment here. :)

Perhaps 'even moreso', this applies when purchasing a used Horseman camera (Due in part... To the number of different models/configurations offered over the years) .