PDA

View Full Version : lacquer

Jerry Cunningham
13-Jan-2005, 19:39
Has anyone had experience with using photo lacquer on archival processed fiber black and white prints. I have been told it was useful for both retouching and protecting. I am open to the experience of others.
Sincerely,
Jerry

David A. Goldfarb
13-Jan-2005, 19:50
I recently spoke with someone who used to work at the Paul Strand archive, and Strand lacquered his prints to make them look wet. She says that in retrospect this was not a good decision. I gather that the lacquer has cracked and yellowed with age and is soaked into the fiber of the paper, so there's no reversing it. It might be that there are better materials available now, but it does seem like a significant risk.

Paul Moshay
14-Jan-2005, 00:20
I have some Getzol type B gloss lacquer that is used on B&W and color prints to increase the brilliance and clarity of detail without changing the appearance of the surface. It prevents yellowing and fading of the print. It used to be used in all professional studios by spraying the print before delivery to the client. If you would want some email me off line.

Paul

John Cook
14-Jan-2005, 03:47
Perhaps Renaissance Wax from Light Impressions might be a better alternative:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?DSP=50000&PCR=30000:120000:123000:123200&IID=8282 (http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?DSP=50000&PCR=30000:120000:123000:123200&IID=8282)

Bruce Watson
15-Jan-2005, 15:37
A couple of thoughts. First, fiber silver gelatin prints are sealed on one side already - with a coating of gelatin. This is one of the reasons that the processed papers won't lie flat.

Which brings up the second - dry mounting. This was typically done to improve the appearance of the prints by making them flat. Turns out that it also seals the back of the print. That's why some of these "unarchivally mounted" prints by the likes of Adams and Weston have lasted so long - the print substrate is protected from polution and contamination by being sealed on both sides.

Which makes one wonder about the definition for "archival" doesn't it?

There were a number of lacquers offered (and many still are offered), mostly for changing the surface texture (glossy to matte, for example) and to offer some retouching tooth. One of my favorites from the old days was made by LacquerMat. I seem to remember that LacquerMat bought McDonalds, which also made sold spray cans of lacquers for the same purpose. Last I heard LacquerMat was still in business, and I think I saw some cans at my local photo store last time I was in. I can't find a website for them however.

That said, I don't recommend it. I don't know of any lacquers that can removed without damaging the photograph, and I think that the prints are already pretty well protected, especially if dry mounted using a removable ("archival") adhesive and a high quality acid free matte board.

Of course, YMMV.