PDA

View Full Version : 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 film holders

Randy_5067
13-Jan-2005, 12:40
I recently acquired a 6.5 x 8.5 tailboard stereo (Meagher style) that is designed for a slotted glass-plate type holder. Or at least one that has a 1/8 "lip" on top and bottom. Question is: Does anybody have any ideas where I could start looking for plate and/or film holders for this. And do not suggest eBay. Ain't been any fur at least a couple-three months. AND! I had to make a new lens-board. About 6x9. And I can't keep the durn things from warping from end-to-end. Any suggestions?

John Kasaian
13-Jan-2005, 12:59
Give www.equinoxphotographic.com a try. If they don't have one, maybe they have some suggestions.

sanking
13-Jan-2005, 14:52
The acutal size of the full plate format was not standarized until fairly late in the game so your camera may or may not take a standard Eastman film holder from the 20s and 30s. If you will send me the interior dimensions of your back I would be able to tell you if you have a back that takes the newer standard holders or not. But I am currently traveling and won´t be able to reply until late next week.

If your back is standard I have some new S&S 6.5 X 8.5 holders for sale.

Jim Galli
13-Jan-2005, 15:27
First thing to explore is modifying the back to accept the standard ordinary full plate holders that were sold through the 1930's at least. They're not common but they're not rare. Does it take 2 holders /2 sheets or does it spread the 2 pictures onto a single sheet?

Randy_5067
13-Jan-2005, 19:14
First, I hate to do any modifications to the camera itself.
It does take a single plate, with a divider septum in the center, for taking stereoview pics. The lensboard "slides" in order to take either a single 6.5x8.5 with a single lens, or two seperate 4x6 size pics, or with twin lenses to take a stereoview. (it is an English-made stereoview camera if that helps)
The overall size of the holder would be 8 x 10+ with about 3/16 of that, top and bottom, to fit into the "slide" part of the back.
I have currently made a 5x7 back that slides into the area where the holder would go. That way I can keep the original back, and when shooting, drop it down, slide in the 5x7 modification, focus, load and shoot. A lot of trouble, but it keeps the camera original for the next person. And the 5x7's are readily available. (have a 5x7 Ansco, and lots of holders)

Appreciate all the help.