PDA

View Full Version : Black and White reversal paper from Russia

photonsoup
1-Apr-2015, 16:09
I may have found a source of reversal paper from Russia. they currently make it in 1.6" wide by 590'long rolls for photo booths. I'm trying to get sheets.

I have put a page on my web site (http://theplumberbryan.com/minutka-blackwhite-photographic-paper/) to update as things progress. Yes, I know it's a plumbing web site :rolleyes:

The US distributor I'm working with is trying to do some other stuff as well. But, it may wind up with a speed more in the 300 ISO range rather than 3.

To those of you who may want a direct positive paper, would you prefer a speed of 3, or the faster ~300?

pierre506
1-Apr-2015, 16:55
Couldn't find the paper or link on your web site~

photonsoup
1-Apr-2015, 17:28
Couldn't find the paper or link on your web site~

It should work now

It is April, and I constantly do foolish things. But that OOPS was unintentional

Tim Meisburger
1-Apr-2015, 17:29
I saw that paper, and thought about getting it cut into sheets, but when I looked into it seemed to require a lot of special chemicals for development (essentially the normal paper reversal process), and I lost interest. If it can be developed in something like d76, I'd be interested, at any speed.

Zndrson
1-Apr-2015, 19:30
I'd be interested as long as the chemicals weren't too expensive. Discovered ilfords direct positive paper before I got a chance to use it.

StoneNYC
1-Apr-2015, 19:38
Wait 1.5" ? That's an inch and a half... Did you mean a foot and a half?

pierre506
1-Apr-2015, 19:48
0,0405 x 180m rolls?
Does it mean 40.5mm width?
Too narrow~

photonsoup
1-Apr-2015, 21:07
Wait 1.5" ? That's an inch and a half... Did you mean a foot and a half?

I Feel really old.

For a dollar you and your friends (if you were lucky, your friend was a girl) would climb in this little closet, pull a curtain shut, and pose. Four flashes would go off. You climb out of the closet and wait a couple of minutes and a little strip of four photos would come out a little slot.

Each photo was about an inch and a half wide and two inches tall. It was really quite groovy.

So yes the paper for these was/is really narrow. That's why I'm trying to get sheets.

I guess that somewhere in the world these photo booths are still used. I thought they were extinct.

Tin Can
1-Apr-2015, 21:45
I can be inside an operating chemical and paper Photo Booth in 10 minutes, several nearby, always busy.

My photo booth strips are 40mm wide, some are 30 years old and still look like the day they were made, the print I mean, not the people.

They make cool framed miniatures, frames used to be available everywhere.

There is a video online showing one operating from inside the device. Very Rube Goldberg. I can't find the video.

StoneNYC
1-Apr-2015, 22:33
I Feel really old.

For a dollar you and your friends (if you were lucky, your friend was a girl) would climb in this little closet, pull a curtain shut, and pose. Four flashes would go off. You climb out of the closet and wait a couple of minutes and a little strip of four photos would come out a little slot.

Each photo was about an inch and a half wide and two inches tall. It was really quite groovy.

So yes the paper for these was/is really narrow. That's why I'm trying to get sheets.

I guess that somewhere in the world these photo booths are still used. I thought they were extinct.

Hahaha I'm 32, I know how a photo booth works LOL!!!

I missed the part about getting them to send uncut rolls, I thought you wanted to buy the 1.5" wide rolls HAHA

my fault, yes wider would be better. :)

IanG
1-Apr-2015, 23:54
It's not a direct reversal paper, the paper in Photo-booths goes through a conventional B&W chemical reversal process. Develop, wasn, bleach, clear, wash, re-develop in a fogging developer. You can do that with any B&W paper, I saw many prints made from B&W transparencies made that way in about 1973, the results were superb but the process long as it was before RC papers and the wash steps need to be much longer with Fibre based papers.

Ian

StoneNYC
2-Apr-2015, 14:48
It's not a direct reversal paper, the paper in Photo-booths goes through a conventional B&W chemical reversal process. Develop, wasn, bleach, clear, wash, re-develop in a fogging developer. You can do that with any B&W paper, I saw many prints made from B&W transparencies made that way in about 1973, the results were superb but the process long as it was before RC papers and the wash steps need to be much longer with Fibre based papers.

Ian

So maybe they can just provide the chemicals used instead of the paper ;)

IanG
3-Apr-2015, 00:15
So maybe they can just provide the chemicals used instead of the paper ;)

There's no special chemistry, it would be more a case of experimenting to find the best paper and then first developer to use to get the best tonal range.

Ian

stiganas
3-Apr-2015, 00:45
Maybe the paper is special and you don't have to overexpose/preflash to get a nice positive.

There's no special chemistry, it would be more a case of experimenting to find the best paper and then first developer to use to get the best tonal range.

Ian

photonsoup
3-Apr-2015, 07:45

Ian

Your correct. Photographers Formulary has all the chemicals. I haven't checked Amazon or eBay, but I'm sure they would be available there as well.

The Minutka chart shows most steps only being 24seconds at 30 degrees C. I wonder how well it would work at lower temps and longer times.

IanG
3-Apr-2015, 07:59
Maybe the paper is special and you don't have to overexpose/preflash to get a nice positive.

The Direct Positivew papers like Harman's and the German paper were made using the basic B&W Cibachrome direct reversal emulsion which was inherrently high contrast, (all colour films use B&W emulsions layers sensitised to different parts of the spectrum and with dye couplers added). Cibacrome was a dye destruction process so more complex than most emulsions.

Normal paper emulsions are quite different it would depend on what Grade of B&W paperyou used for reversal and how contrasty the first developer before you'd need to think of pre-flashing to reduce contrast. DReversal processing of normal &W papers including Photo both paper is an entirely different process to the Direct positive papers (and films) that were available.

Ian

jnantz
3-Apr-2015, 16:12
https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=q377Stfri-0&lc=SGbfk4--9Doup6dOtDk_S1spJ4bhxwUSRD5udjLVAGE

Tin Can
3-Apr-2015, 16:21
https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=q377Stfri-0&lc=SGbfk4--9Doup6dOtDk_S1spJ4bhxwUSRD5udjLVAGE

Ha! You found it. I see I commented on it a year ago...

Good work!

jnantz
3-Apr-2015, 18:36
Ha! You found it. I see I commented on it a year ago...

Good work!

:)
glad i could help

ps. PhotoBooth.net is a great resource !

IanG
4-Apr-2015, 01:23
Your correct. Photographers Formulary has all the chemicals. I haven't checked Amazon or eBay, but I'm sure they would be available there as well.

The Minutka chart shows most steps only being 24seconds at 30 degrees C. I wonder how well it would work at lower temps and longer times.

Should work just as well. It's probable the developer used has increased Bromide and possible another restrainer like Benzatriazole to keep base fogging low at 30ºC.

My interest in Reversal processing normal B&W papers is for a project I had to put on hold when Harman (Ilford) halted production of their Direct Positive papers after Ilford Imaging (Switzerland) ceased trading last year. I did some some research on B&W film reversal for a commercial laboratory 4 or 5 years ago and have reversal processed paper many years ago so don't envisage any problems.

Ian

Cor
7-Apr-2015, 06:18
If you see the sequence on http://www.slavich.com/photo-bw-reversal

I noticed that they use quite a high pH / aggressive developer (using NaOH !), high temperature, 30 degC and a short time.. All meant to be quick in a Photo booth, notice also that reducer no 2 contains sodium sulphide, extremely smelly and obnoxious plus dangerous..

Ian already pointed out; it's most likely "ordinary" RC paper on a small roll..

Best,

Cor

photonsoup
16-Jun-2015, 14:01
Finally heard from Anna again. Here's a copy of the email she sent yesterday. If they do start a Kickstarter, I'll put up the info in the proper section. With the Ilford announcement this probably isn't such a big deal, but I will keep you all informed. The galaxy-paper.com site is interesting.

"Hello Bryan,

We are very sorry for the long delay. There was an issue with the shipment
we got from Russia that contained the samples of Minutka photo paper in
sheets. Apparently, the boxes were X-Rayed, which ruined some parts of the
shipment, and we have been very busy straightening things out.
Unfortunately, the sheets of Minutka were also damaged, and they were the
last ones from the batch Slavich had manufactured, so they cannot be
replaced easily.

Now, I have some good news. We are on a verge of launching a project on new
positive reversal photo paper, with higher speed, better dynamic range and
easier development process. Our R&D team has improved the emulsion formula
and it will be even better than Minutka. However, since Slavich is not
funding this, in a couple of weeks we are starting a fundraising project on
kickstarter.com to get it manufactured.

Truth be told, the idea of turning to crowd funding was inspired by your
willingness to find a replacement for direct positive photo paper and notion
that there are other people who would be interested in getting it.
Therefore, we would like to thank you for the inside track and for your
support in spreading the good word in the large photography community. Your
support is very important, especially in the light of the project launching.
As a token of our gratitude, we will gladly send you a sample of this photo
paper once we have the first batch manufactured.

Here are the links to the new project:

Web-site: http://galaxy-paper.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GalaxyPhotoPaper

Twitter: https://twitter.com/galaxy_paper

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Anna."

StoneNYC
16-Jun-2015, 14:40
Ilford is back up and running so I'm not sure how much interest there will be now, unless this is different somehow?

jnantz
16-Jun-2015, 15:34
maco also have a dp paper ...

chrism
13-Aug-2015, 13:47
There is a kickstarter for this "DP" paper which is 90% funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-hyper-speed-direct-positive-photo-paper/

They are aiming for ISO120, which would make life easier! I believe it isn't going to be a direct positive paper as I understand the term, and will require reversal processing for a positive image. I don't mind, if it actually ships I'll use conventional developer and scan and invert. The speed is the attraction.

Oren Grad
13-Aug-2015, 15:59
Chris, re the Galaxy paper, see the discussion here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?123102-Galaxy-paper-offered-for-direct-positive-processing