PDA

View Full Version : help with first LF in a while... please and thank you

Atracksler
30-Mar-2015, 14:09
I used to have a Cambo 4x5 that I sold. It was OK...

I'm looking for a new to me 4x5 and trying to decide between the following:

Omega 45D (Cheap and Cheerful, might need some attention and gaffers tape on the bellows)

Crown Graphic

Wista 45

Im looking to mostly do portraits (Initially on instant pack film and maybe getting into wet process.) Some landscape and still life work.

I have a 135/4.5 from a Crown graphic that was in a pile o'stuff. Im also looking at a Fujinon 210/5.6

Any advice is appreciated....

Atracksler
1-Apr-2015, 04:42
So, I'm going to go with a field camera, rather than a monorail....

Anyone used the wista and the toyo? Looking for differences/pluses/minuses...

IanG
1-Apr-2015, 05:34
I've used a Wista 45DX for nearly 30 years and it's always done everything I've wanted. More recently though I've been using a Super Graphic as well mainly because it's easy to use handheld. I have a Crown Graphic which I used before the Super Graphic but find the minimal movements limiting.

Ian

Doremus Scudder
2-Apr-2015, 04:41
Another vote for the Wista DX (not the DX II, which doesn't have shift). This is a wooden camera, in roughly the same category as Shen Hao, Tachihara, etc.

If you're looking for a metal folding camera, there are a lot of choices: Wistas, Toyos, Graphics, etc. You'll have to compare features and price.

Best,

Doremus

Atracksler
2-Apr-2015, 08:18
Looking at a Toyo, but it has a crack on the front standard.... is this a deal breaker, or is this something thats not a huge deal?

EdSawyer
2-Apr-2015, 08:42
A crown is a nice choice, great for handheld shooting, more than enough movements for most portraiture too.

Pete Watkins
3-Apr-2015, 00:13
Another vote for the Wista DX. I've had mine for years and unlike some other cameras I've still got it.
Pete.

welly
3-Apr-2015, 03:02
I shoot with a Toyo 45AX. It a ridiculously good camera. It's a workhorse rather than a thing of traditional beauty such as the wooden field cameras. All the movements are on different controls and independent of each other. They'll take a pounding and you can throw any lens from 45mm to over 400mm on it. It's a shame that one you're looking at has a crack in it. It's probably not a deal breaker but it won't help matters other than being a bargaining chip. I'm a massive Toyo fanboy. I'd have the Toyo 8x10 in an instant if I could find or afford one.

Atracksler
3-Apr-2015, 04:52
Would that crack affect the usage of the camera? Is 3 bills a good price?

stiganas
3-Apr-2015, 05:29
The crack is only one of the problems of that ebay camera.

Would that crack affect the usage of the camera? Is 3 bills a good price?

Atracksler
3-Apr-2015, 05:38
Ok. I will stay away.

David Lobato
3-Apr-2015, 16:38
Looking at a Toyo, but it has a crack on the front standard.... is this a deal breaker, or is this something thats not a huge deal?

I would not consider that Toyo 45A. It would be costly to have repaired. I've had my 45A for almost 3 decades and they are durable cameras.

Back to your original questions, a monorail camera is nice to use for still lifes and portraits. And they can be found for very low prices. I had a Toyo 45E and it was great for studio type work, not to mention some parts are interchangeable with a 45A field camera. And the Fujinon 210mm is an excellent lens.

Atracksler
3-Apr-2015, 17:59
How would a horseman 45 or a sinar alpina work for me?

Also, I assume keh is a better route than evilbay....

jnantz
3-Apr-2015, 18:32
A crown is a nice choice, great for handheld shooting, more than enough movements for most portraiture too.

+1 but i would go for the SPEED instead of a crown. it can use cheap barrel and enlarging and flat field and brass and home made lenses
since it has a focal plane shutter. either that or a graflex slr since it is for portraits, but unfortunately that isn't on the list