PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about heat-damaged negatives

beachpassport
29-Mar-2015, 14:04
I have inherited a box of old (1930's - 1970's) LF studio negatives taken of various family members. They were previously stored improperly and have what appears to be heat related bubbling. I don't know anything about this format but from my observation, it appears that these negatives are made in a sandwich type construction -- as if there is a front and back film that has bubbled with the interior image looking mostly intact. (Again, I have no clue.) Can anyone advise me on what I can do with them to restore to a condition where these images could be digitized? I appreciate any assistance.

sun of sand
29-Mar-2015, 18:25
Dont lnow if thats some special process/purpose negs but perhaps it's just the outer envelope that has stuck to the negative undet humidity
and so the bubbling is the sleeve
If so thats going to be next to impossible to fix like new

Research ferrotyped negative

jp
29-Mar-2015, 19:23
You might research whether some are cellulose nitrate film as well (very flammable and less stable).

Likely they'd get digitized and cleaned up on the computer rather than by hand.

blueribbontea
30-Mar-2015, 13:53
Rather than being nitrate, I suspect they were first generation safety film and the problem with that film was that the emulsion and the backing aged differently, produced a shrinking emulsion that begins to peel off the backing. I've worked with some of these that were vintage 1930's and the bubbling is the emulsion itself.