PDA

View Full Version : Portable-folding 4x5

Pasukaru
28-Mar-2015, 19:57
Hello,

can you please suggest me some portable-folding 4x5 camera models?
my budget is around 200-300 dollars.

Is the Graflex Speed Graphic a good candidate?

Thanks

koh303
28-Mar-2015, 20:29
For that much your best bet is a graflex/bosch pressman/B&J press

Alan Gales
29-Mar-2015, 00:44
If you want to save some weight buy a Crown Graphic over the Speed Graphic. The Speed has a focal plane shutter which adds weight but can be used with old lenses that don't have leaf shutters.

IanG
29-Mar-2015, 01:09
A Super Graphic is a better option compared to Speed/Crown Graphics because it has a far better range of movements, I use them all so can speak from experience. You should be able to find one inside your budget.

Ian

Jim Jones
29-Mar-2015, 06:23
For an economical view camera, consider a B&J flatbed. it is somewhat heavier and bulkier than some others, but has full movements and takes the 4" lens boards that were used on Anniversary model Speed Graphics and many other cameras. For use with longer lenses, it should come with the baseboard extension. The lenses that come with most press cameras do not permit the use of full front movements.

stiganas
29-Mar-2015, 07:08
I have a Super Graphic and I think it is highly portable. It is mated with a Rodenstock Geronar 210mm, f6.8 and the lens fit inside the camera.

I am very curious; can you cary a modern folding camera (Toyo, Wisner, ShenHao, Chamonix, etc.) with a small lens inside the camera ? (like a Graflex)

On all the youtube clips I saw after the camera is opened you put the lensboard so you have to carry the camera and the lens separated.

koh303
29-Mar-2015, 08:12
I am very curious; can you cary a modern folding camera (Toyo, Wisner, ShenHao, Chamonix, etc.) with a small lens inside the camera ? (like a Graflex)
On many, you can carry a smaller lens (Toyo, horseman linhof), and in some, you can carry a larger front rim lens, when folded inside the camera. The graflex has by far the most room.

mdarnton
29-Mar-2015, 08:21
Does the Super Graphic have a drop bed and internal focus track, for wide wides? I was under the impression that it doesn't, and that's why I got a Crown.

IanG
29-Mar-2015, 08:43
I have a Super Graphic and I think it is highly portable. It is mated with a Rodenstock Geronar 210mm, f6.8 and the lens fit inside the camera.

On all the youtube clips I saw after the camera is opened you put the lensboard so you have to carry the camera and the lens separated.

My Wista 45DX is just as portable as my Super Graphic, the main difference is it's not really practical hand-held which was why I initially welt for a Crown Graphic and later a Super Graphic because I needed more movements than the Crown allowed (I often use front tilt hand held)

Does the Super Graphic have a drop bed and internal focus track, for wide wides? I was under the impression that it doesn't, and that's why I got a Crown.

Yes you're right (no inner rails) but I rarely use wider than 90mm which is fine with a Super Graphic and I find the greater range of movements far more important.

Ian

EdSawyer
29-Mar-2015, 12:33
Crown and speed have the other advantage of a kalart rangefnder which can be tuned to nearly any lens within a range of focal lengths wothout needing to worry about finding the right cam.

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2015, 17:00
I have a Crown Graphic I will sell for $250 plus shipping.

Camera body
Graflok back,including ground glass and viewing hood.
Side mounted Kalart range finder
135mm Graflex Optar; Shutter works but needs CLA

Camera is complete and in working order, but has sat in someohe's closet for decades (two at least)
Cosmetic wear from usage but not a "beater"

I have the metal case with the flash handle and two reflectors if that is of interest

Contact me by PN if you are interested.

Pasukaru
30-Mar-2015, 12:29
Thank you for your answers! I have a Schneider 210mm, is it possible mount it on the Speed-Crown Graphic? If yes, which plate do I need?

Jim Jones
30-Mar-2015, 13:09
In brief, there were three commonly found products: the Anniversary model of Speed Graphic made from 1940 to 1946. It is usually fitted with a Kalart or Hugo Meyer side rangefinder. These rangefinders can be adjusted to work with most of the lenses one would want to use on a press camera. The Anniversary model uses a 4 inch square lens board which can be made with basic woodworking tools. The Anniversary model usually came with a spring back that accepts standard film holders. Some were fitted with the less desirable Graflex back. Some of these cameras were retrofitted with the more versatile Graflok back. This model has a rising and shifting front, but no front tilts. The infinity stops could be set for only one focal length.

The popular Pacemaker series was introduced in 1947. It included the Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter and the Crown without a focal plane shutter. At first a Kalart side rangefinder was used. In the late 1950s the side rangefinder was replaced with a top rangefinder which requires cams cut for whatever focal length lens is installed. The infinity stops fold down, making alternate focal lengths more convenient. The lens board is stamped aluminum. An exact replica is more difficult to fabricate than the Anniversary style lensboard. However, simpler designs work well enough. The versatile Graflok back was added in 1950, although older Pacemaker series and Anniversary model cameras were sometimes retrofitted with Graflok backs. The front standard has a back tilt to best utilize the drop bed and wide angle lenses. This tilt can be modified to a front tilt for use with lenses of adequate covering power. Anniversary and Pacemaker series cameras were made for 3.25x4.25 film as well as 4x5. An online buyer should recognize the differences, as some sellers can't.

The Super Graphic was introduced in 1958 and the Super Speed Graphic in 1961. They had further improvements.

The answers to many questions about Graflex cameras can be found at http://graflex.org/. More detailed information is published in Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan & Lester (or Morgan & Morgan in later editions). Early editions cover the Anniversary model. The 8th edition includes the early Pacemaker series.

Bill_1856
30-Mar-2015, 17:31
Drop bed, yes; internal focusing track, no.

Jim Andrada
30-Mar-2015, 18:43
I have both the Crown and the Super - I like the Crown better but use the Super a lot more. Go figure.

Super Graphic/Fujinon W 250mm

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3709/9329289739_d06df3efdc.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fdp3P6)WatchCo 6.5 x 8 (https://flic.kr/p/fdp3P6) by Kirigakuresaizoh (https://www.flickr.com/people/89514126@N05/), on Flickr

Patrick13
31-Mar-2015, 12:54
Wasn't the Super design licensed out to Toyo, who then made a metal version?

jbenedict
31-Mar-2015, 17:28

Toyo bought the rights and all of the tooling. The 45A is a close relative of the Super Graphic but the later model 45CF is closer. For one, the CF can be closed with small lenses still attached (many 135s, 150/210 Geronar, 90 Angulon- you get the idea) while the A cannot. The CF has a vertical/horizontal reversible back and the A has a genuine rotating back. In appearance, the CF looks more like the classic Crown/Speed than like the Super Graphic. It is made out of polycarbonate/carbon fiber material. Worth having a look...

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

IanG
1-Apr-2015, 00:55

All the Super Graphics are metal and initially Toyo continued production so you can find Toyo Super Graphics made in Japan. Later they refined their cameras and brought out new models,

Ian