PDA

View Full Version : Opti-copy 585mm process lens questions

brighamr
28-Mar-2015, 03:22
I recently found a 585mm lens with perfect glass apart from the outside rear surface that looks like it has been cleaned with wire wool
even so it projects a nice sharp camera obscura image

the lens came from an opti-copy imposer process camera a company that seems to be long gone

does anybody know who built the lenses for them ?
I would like to get the scratched lens re coated
does anybody know how to open this lens up ?
at the moment the only way in seems to be thru the front as there is no threaded insert on the rear of the lens

does anybody know anything about these

thanks

robin

leighmarrin
29-Mar-2015, 00:52
Hi, Robin: recoating lenses is typically very expensive. I once paid about $300 to have a scratched-up Leitz 50mm DR Summicron re-coated.

Your Opti-Copy lens may not be very good for general view camera use, at least according to this article I found via Google. https://www.mail-archive.com/cameramakers@rosebud.opusis.com/msg02714.html But considering it may have sold new for $13,000, it should make an amusing paper-weight!

brighamr
29-Mar-2015, 09:55
thanks for the link Leigh

I'll only ever use it for b/w contact printed portraits so not too bothered about its colour issues
it's pretty sharp even with the scratched rear element but I wonder how much better it might get if it was cleaned up some

robin

zcl0157
19-Oct-2015, 07:30
thanks for the link Leigh

I'll only ever use it for b/w contact printed portraits so not too bothered about its colour issues
it's pretty sharp even with the scratched rear element but I wonder how much better it might get if it was cleaned up some

robin

I actually just purchased this lens at an auction in mint condition. Still in the box. It doesn't look like it has ever been taken out practically.
I am looking to sell this but not real sure where to go to sell it. Any insight on where i might be able to find a good buyer who would put it to use.
It would be a shame for this to just never get used.