PDA

View Full Version : DIY Gore-Tex Darkcloth

andy
25-Mar-2015, 09:50
Not sure if this should go here or in the gear section--

I've been thinking about making a new darkcloth from Gor-Tex (or an offbrand waterproof/breathable fabric) and I was wondering if anyone else has done this--I'm thinking it would be pretty simple/inexpensive. Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html) sells the cloth--I'm thinking two sheets of two layer fabric (for a black/white cloth) should be lightproof, keep my camera dry if I'm walking around in a drizzle, fold up small and light, and not get too hot in the summer.

thoughts/experiences?

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2015, 10:14
I absolutely love my Goretex darkcloth. It's breathable (cool), clean (no lint), and obviously serves as a rain cover. I had these made up a number of years ago
when our local specialty expedition sewing shop carried heavywt black Goretex in stock. But the master rolls of black are fairly expensive and uncommon, so you might have to search around to see who will sell you some limited yardage. No need to two-tone (black/white), though I have done this with coated nylon fabric
which is not breathable.

Kirk Gittings
25-Mar-2015, 10:37
So a couple of months back there was some discussion about a stage lighting material that was black on one side and silver on the other. I wanted to try it out-it wasn't too expensive, but now I can't find the thread. Anyone know what it was?

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2015, 10:46
Kirk, if you want ultralight black/white waterproof material, poly truck wrap is available that way. We throw away (recycle) piles of that every week. It a modified
Tyvek-like fabric commonly used to ship plywood etc. Goretex is heavier but far more durable and comfortable - enough wt so it won't flap around with just any breeze like truck wrap will. For strong breeze I use a little velcro on the corners or a clothespin (never weights!).

vinny
25-Mar-2015, 11:02
Ultrabounce is sold bt the yard and is opaque enough. Black/white.

Kirk Gittings
25-Mar-2015, 11:05
That was it Ultrabounce! Thanks Vinny.

Kirk Gittings
25-Mar-2015, 11:38
Unfortunately web ordering Ultrabounce from Cine Gear Store is a trainwreck, can't choose shipping method, PayPal link doesn't work, can't set up account etc. I left them a message-no one answered the phone-but no one has called me back and I don't see any other place to buy it by the yard.

cowanw
25-Mar-2015, 11:46
Google suggests this
http://www.expendables.com/ultrabounce-60-quot.html
60 inches for 15 dollars

Richard Wasserman
25-Mar-2015, 11:49
Google suggests this
60 inches for 15 dollars

Just to clarify, that is the price for 1 yard (36 inches) of 60 inch wide fabric.

Colin Graham
25-Mar-2015, 11:51
I've been meaning to try the waterproof coated ripstop that OWF also carries, and line it with some ordinary drapery blackout cloth from Joann's, which is completely opaque. Right now I have a similar version (http://colinflanarygraham.com/darkshop/?p=2777), but reversed, with regular black nylon ripstop inside and blackout drape cloth outside. Since the blackout cloth is white and reflective, I used it for the outer layer and sprayed it with Atsko silicone water repellent, which has worked fairly well so far in the rain. I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, which is pretty much rainforest.

I suppose lightweight might not be the most popular attribute for a darkcloth, but I like the combination of fabrics, and the blackout cloth does give it some weight. Neither fabric is breathable, but it's hasn't been an issue due to how light it is. But it is very mild here in the summer, so not sure how it comfortable it would be in a hot climate.

If you do try the Goretex, I would be very interested to hear how well it works as a darkcloth.

vinny
25-Mar-2015, 11:58
Unfortunately web ordering Ultrabounce from Cine Gear Store is a trainwreck, can't choose shipping method, PayPal link doesn't work, can't set up account etc. I left them a message-no one answered the phone-but no one has called me back and I don't see any other place to buy it by the yard.

I got mine from them w/o any problems last year. You could also call up Modern Studio Equipment, they might sell it by the yard as well.

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2015, 12:31
Rubberized AV drapery fabric is hot and heavy. Ripstop doesn't breathe either, and is so-so for being waterproof in the long haul, but at least it's light and cheap.

Doremus Scudder
25-Mar-2015, 12:49
Years ago I made a darkcloth out of GoreTex lined with a non-slip, lightproof, but lightweight material. The outside is white, inside black and about as big a Superman's cape (it hangs to my ankles when I have it fastened around my neck). I had a shoemaker sew Velcro all around the edges so that the cloth would close up around the camera as well as fasten at the neck and around my arms, poncho-like, if I want, etc. It's small enough to roll up and strap on to the back of my lumbar pack, cool under the sun and plenty dark. It's been working like a champ for 15 years or more.

It saved my camera from a huge "sneaker" breaker on the California coast once. I was under the cloth and heard "Whooomp," looked up and saw nothing but white water headed for me and the camera from above. I quickly tossed the cloth over the camera. I got soaked to the skin, the camera was fine.

I've used it for a reflector, a rain poncho, reflector, changing bag, emergency blanket and, yes, a dark cloth. It's one of the best things I ever cobbled together.

Best,

Doremus

Roger Thoms
25-Mar-2015, 13:17
"Sneaker Breaker" I like that, been hit by one too. Got my Black Jacket focusing hood ove the front of the camera just in time. My Ries tripod took the hit like a champ and yes I was soaked. I bought a Gortex jacket no to long ago and one based on that it seems like Gortex would be a great material for a darkcloth.

Roger

Kirk Gittings
25-Mar-2015, 21:39
Google suggests this
60 inches for 15 dollars

Thanks. That did not show in in my searches

Doremus Scudder
26-Mar-2015, 02:57
"Sneaker Breaker" I like that, been hit by one too. Got my Black Jacket focusing hood ove the front of the camera just in time. My Ries tripod took the hit like a champ and yes I was soaked. I bought a Gortex jacket not too long ago and one based on that it seems like Gortex would be a great material for a darkcloth.

Roger

Slightly off-topic...

There are signs at turnoffs and state parks all along the Pacific coast that warn of "sneaker waves." These are the ones that'll get you wet when you're not expecting it and can be dangerous for the careless. My wife and I used to joke that they were so named because they got your sneakers wet when you didn't expect it. :)

Doremus

Drew Wiley
26-Mar-2015, 16:27
I got what might be classified as a very unique classic shot of a major NW waterfall by setting up the 8x10 almost right under it, keeping it covered by the Goretex
darkcloth, then pulling the cloth, removing the lens cap, and popping the shutter for just one shot. Then I had to dry out the whole camera and put the lens into
a dessication box full of silica gel for two weeks (which I had purposefully brought along). .. But back to that black/white Tyvek truck wrap idea... Grabbed a pile of it at lunch and recalled why I never opted for it myself ... it has crinkly sound which would drive me bonkers.

andy
27-Mar-2015, 05:37
thanks for the suggestions--I'm thinking that I could turn the corners and sew in some small weights for working in the wind, going to place the order today or monday I think, will update.

vinny
27-Mar-2015, 06:14
I've sewn rare earth magnets into the edge of mine and epoxied magnets in four spots on the rear standard. So far, it works. I had superglued them on the camera and they popped off the firet time I took the camera out.

andy
27-Mar-2015, 06:41
vinny--that's a great idea, but how often do you find your cloth snapping onto random metallic objects? :)

vinny
27-Mar-2015, 07:04
vinny--that's a great idea, but how often do you find your cloth snapping onto random metallic objects? :)

Hasn't happened yet except to those metal plates in my head:)

HMG
27-Mar-2015, 08:07
... But back to that black/white Tyvek truck wrap idea... Grabbed a pile of it at lunch and recalled why I never opted for it myself ... it has crinkly sound which would drive me bonkers.

Washing it a few times should mitigate the crinkly sound.

Drew Wiley
27-Mar-2015, 08:59
Weights can damage things (and eyes) when the cloth gets flapping around. The wind always wins eventually. Lots of people have learned that the hard way!

Kirk Gittings
27-Mar-2015, 09:02
I'm just a velcro kind of guy.........after the wind once flipped the weighted end around and it broke my ground glass...........

BarryS
27-Mar-2015, 19:31
I'm just a velcro kind of guy.........after the wind once flipped the weighted end around and it broke my ground glass...........

The weighted corners like to fly up and hit me in the face or head--that's become my indoors darkcloth now. Velcro for outside.

Henrim
29-Mar-2015, 13:21
I just made a darkcloth for myself the other day. I previously had a thick cotton cloth that is lightproof. But it's airproof too. Almost kills me every time go under it. Be it indoors or outdoors. So my design drivers for the cloth were:

- breathable
- lightproof
- waterproof (to act as a rain cover for the camera)
- lightweight
- small footprint when packed

I did some prototyping and I realised that (for me) the cloth doesn't need to be completely lightproof. I have fresnel lenses on my cameras so I figured it would be enough if the cloth blocked about 5 stops of light. I use the cloth for framing the shot and a loupe for focusing.

So I ended up using breathable and waterproof 2-layer Action Mistral fabric on the outside. Almost white, light grey colour. On the inside I used Coolmax Fresh fabric. It is normally used for running shirts and such.

I sewed a channel for paracord that is used for tightening the cloth around the camera.

I was on the field today testing the cloth out and it seems to be a fine combination. I can breath and it gives enough shade to frame the shot. May not work for everyone but I'm happy. And if more blocking power is needed the cloth can be folded to form a tube like hood. That way it is completely lightproof. I Just need to sew some velcro here and there.

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2015, 17:24
Buy a Got-Tex jacket and use it as a BTZS hood. Then you will also have a Gor-Tex jacket.

brandon allen
5-May-2015, 14:13
I would love to see some pictures of these custom-built dark cloths. I made one recently from three layers of ripstop (outer layer white, inner layers black) that is functional, but could certainly be improved.

Thinking myself quite clever, I used the magnets - they stick everywhere but where I want them to. It doesnt quite close well enough around the camera either - adjustable cord probably better than the fixed magnets.

I'd post pics, but I'm currently out of the countrty - without my LF gear.

Drew Wiley
14-May-2015, 15:45
What's to see? It's just a rectangular piece of fabric, potentially hemmed at the edges and with a bit of velcro attached. On mine there is a center-front grommet that matches the front post of my Phillips 8x10, where the lenshade also attaches. Real black Goretex is positively the bessssst, in every category of the wish list, if you can find it.

brandon allen
14-May-2015, 16:08
What's to see? It's just a rectangular piece of fabric, potentially hemmed at the edges and with a bit of velcro attached.

I'm quoting previous posts here:

"I had a shoemaker sew Velcro all around the edges so that the cloth would close up around the camera as well as fasten at the neck and around my arms, poncho-like, if I want, etc. It's small enough to roll up and strap on to the back of my lumbar pack"

"sewed a channel for paracord that is used for tightening the cloth around the camera."

While simple enough to understand, I would like to see just how it was done. After making mine and field testing, I realized that while it works "ok" it could be better - and the Devils are in the details. It doesn't seem to be enough to just "sew on some Velcro strips" if you want it to function well.

Henrim
17-May-2015, 13:12
I would love to see some pictures of these custom-built dark cloths. I made one recently from three layers of ripstop (outer layer white, inner layers black) that is functional, but could certainly be improved.

I'm modifying mine. I'll post a pic or two once done. One of the learnings have been that what I liked for 210mm/F5.6 and 300mm/F9 lenses apparently is not dark enough for a 90mm/F8 lens. So I need to add a layer of fabric. A layer that can be attached if needed. I also need to change the position of some of the velcro bits. My goal is to have something that can be used in windy and rainy weather.

AtlantaTerry
17-May-2015, 13:25
Why doesn't one of you who successfully created one of these offer to make some for the rest of us?

Right now, I just use a black drapery curtain that I found at WalMart. It is opaque but heavy.

Drew Wiley
18-May-2015, 11:05
To make money on multiple darkcloths one would have to order a whole roll of the fabric. Most places don't even stock black Goretex. It's not exactly a popular color for tents or jackets. Lucky I found some in the first place. It's easy enough to order small amounts of yardage for personal use. Ripstop is pathetic by comparison, but readily available. I've got both types, so know firsthand.