PDA

View Full Version : Controlling a Copal electronic shutter

Vascilli
24-Mar-2015, 23:27
So last week I bought a Nikon microscope camera with the intention of getting at the electronic leaf shutter. That was a success and I now have a nice little Copal shutter (Probably size 0) with four wires sticking out of it. Of course there's no information on the shutter itself about what model it is or how it works, so here I am. The four wires would indicate to me that there are probably two pairs controlling two solenoids, one to open the shutter and one to close it. Is there any documentation out there on these or do I have no choice but to hook up the remains of the camera to an oscilloscope and see what makes it tick?

Leonard Robertson
25-Mar-2015, 12:22
You might try searching the archives on the Yahoo Microscopy group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Microscope/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMXR1bmUzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNzg0MgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwODI5NDYEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxNDI3Mjk2ODUx

It appears you can search the group without being a member, but it may be worth your while to become a member and post your question. Someone may have a manual or wiring diagram for the control unit they can send you.

I've managed to accumulate several microscope cameras of different makes, but none with electronic shutter. All mine have mechanical Copal or Compur shutters. It is my experience that more often than not, the mechanical microscope shutters need to be serviced before being usable. I don't know about the electronic verisons.

You can find the control unit for the Nikon microscope cameras on eBay all the time. However they tend to be without the cable to connect to the camera. Maybe it is possible to figure out the wiring and make a cable, but it isn't something I'm capable of doing. Since you mentioned having a scope, it might be easy for you.

If you are successful with figuring out this shutter, please post you results. I love to see the solution to a mystery, even if I can't solve it myself.

Len

Vascilli
25-Mar-2015, 14:32
The camera came with the control unit and a cable. I should be able to put it back together in a way that I can get it working again. I suppose some reverse engineering is in order.

Leonard Robertson
28-Mar-2015, 10:51
That is great you have the control box and cable. You can test the shutter to be sure it is working properly. I don't know if the electronic shutters get sticky from lack of use like the mechanical versions, but it seems possible. I found a link to Nikon Microscopy:

http://www.microscopyu.com/

There is a contact page there. I suppose there is a slim chance they could provide a circuit diagram or at least an operators manual. Or maybe once the shutter is hooked to the control box it is obvious how the controls work.

Len

Amedeus
28-Mar-2015, 21:58
Not sure if you have the same shutter as I have but there are indeed two solenoids. Mine can be driven by 12V and a 5ms pulse does the job for either closing and opening.

So last week I bought a Nikon microscope camera with the intention of getting at the electronic leaf shutter. That was a success and I now have a nice little Copal shutter (Probably size 0) with four wires sticking out of it. Of course there's no information on the shutter itself about what model it is or how it works, so here I am. The four wires would indicate to me that there are probably two pairs controlling two solenoids, one to open the shutter and one to close it. Is there any documentation out there on these or do I have no choice but to hook up the remains of the camera to an oscilloscope and see what makes it tick?