PDA

View Full Version : 10x8 Paper size vs 10x8 film size

chrism
24-Mar-2015, 04:08
A silly question, I know, but I don't have the answer. I have been cutting up 10x8 paper to make 4x5 sheets that fit in a film holder. It's a bit tricky to do under a dim safelight (best solution as far as I can tell is to cut a thick cardboard template, draw round it in pencil and cut along the pencil lines. I tried a guillotine, but don't seem to be able to get proper rectangles due to the paper slipping as the blade comes down.)

I'm sorely tempted to do this with a 10x8 camera too. Does that size paper also have to be trimmed to fit in a 10x8 holder? One other question: does anyone know if paper (Ilford Multigrade RC) fits thickness-wise into Chamonix wooden holders? They have tighter slots than my old plastic 4x5 holders and I assume the 10x8 holders do too.

I know someone's going to say 'why not just use film?' I'm finding the process very soothing in that I get the joy of watching the image under a safelight, which is something I don't normally get to do with my hybrid techniques. The results seem to justify the bother as well.

Chris

Jim Jones
24-Mar-2015, 04:44
In my limited experience 8x10 paper does have to be trimmed to fit film holders. A guillotine cutter might work if the paper is firmly held down close to the cut. A razor blade and good steel straight edge work for me.

jnantz
24-Mar-2015, 04:48
hi chris

film is about 1/32" -1/16" smaller than format size.
the format is named after the PLATE size..
both plate and film were alive at the same time
so film companies never bothered to change film sizes
after plates petered-out ... too many people with those septums
so they could use film in their plate holders... and too many film holders
the same size as the septum ...

i use a guillotine cutter and put a piece of tape where i need to slide
the sheet to trim off the edge. i also have a piece of tape so i can cut the paper
in half. no need to justify using paper negatives, i would rather use paper than film
as well, even paper i coate with my own emulsion... ( or out of a bottle )

good luck !
john

IanG
24-Mar-2015, 07:56
!)x8 paper is the same size as 10x8 Glass plates, film is slightly smaller as originally plate holders needed adapters to use film - so the film size is nominal.

J&C made that mistake when they had Chinese sheet film cut to sell under their own name.

Ian

Jim C.
24-Mar-2015, 13:55
I've use a rotary cutter board with great success trimming down paper to fit holders.
Use tape as a edge guide to trim.

chrism
1-Apr-2015, 10:46
Pleasant surprise with the Chamonix 10x8 film holder - it takes Ilford MG RC paper untrimmed! Just slides in with the usual amount of wiggling required.

Drew Wiley
1-Apr-2015, 11:05
Fiber-based paper is obviously affected dimensionally more by humidity changes than either film or RC paper. So something that fits today might not fit tomorrow.
Something to keep in mind.

stiganas
1-Apr-2015, 12:02
When you ask the question couple of days ago I tried Ilford MG RC paper in my old wood 8x10 holder. It didn't fit, need just a little bit of trim.

Pleasant surprise with the Chamonix 10x8 film holder - it takes Ilford MG RC paper untrimmed! Just slides in with the usual amount of wiggling required.

chrism
1-Apr-2015, 12:37
I'll be prepared to use the guillotine if I have to! I was expecting to do so today, and I was quite surprised when a (developed) 10x8 in daylight slid in as a test, so I took the holder off into the dark and fresh paper went in too. It does stick a little, mostly due to alignment issues. I can imagine a different brand or maybe a different batch not being so co-operative. But for now, I'll enjoy the convenience.
Thank you all for your answers.

JoeV
4-Apr-2015, 07:17
My experience, working with both 4x5 and 8x10 paper in sheet film holders, is that while 4x5 paper needs to be trimmed down to fit 4x5 sheet film holders (the one exception I know of being the discontinued Harman DPP, which was cut to 4x5 sheet film size), 8x10 paper (RC paper in my experience) does not need to be trimmed.

~Joe

Light Guru
4-Apr-2015, 09:28
I have been cutting up 10x8 paper to make 4x5 sheets that fit in a film holder. It's a bit tricky to do under a dim safelight (best solution as far as I can tell is to cut a thick cardboard template, draw round it in pencil and cut along the pencil lines. I tried a guillotine, but don't seem to be able to get proper rectangles due to the paper slipping as the blade comes down.)

Pencil lines? Use a paper stopper. Set the stopper an appropriate distance from the blade. This eliminates having to draw pencil lines and also prevents the paper from slipping.