PDA

View Full Version : Availability of direct positive paper?

NoBob
24-Mar-2015, 03:08
Hi,

Does anyone know if direct positive paper (like the discontinued Harman paper) is available anywhere?

Thanks.

IanG
24-Mar-2015, 03:17
Harman didn't deliberately discontinue the Direct Positive paper, the emulsion came from Ilford Imaging in Switzerland which ceased trading. They have been working on it's re-introduction and Simon Galley of Ilford/Harman Technology has posted on APUG that they hoe to make an announcement fairly soon.

Ian

pierre506
24-Mar-2015, 05:33
I found there's Imago positive paper to sell.
Will try it later.

IanG
24-Mar-2015, 07:44
I found there's Imago positive paper to sell.
Will try it later.

There's very limited stocks left, it was the same emulsion as the Harman Direct Positive paper but coated in Switzerland.

Ian

pierre506
24-Mar-2015, 07:45

Imago positive paper 4x5
Tested it 5 minutes ago.

IanG
24-Mar-2015, 07:58
There's Harman Direct Positive paper around if you know where :D

Ian

pierre506
24-Mar-2015, 08:13
There's very limited stocks left, it was the same emulsion as the Harman Direct Positive paper but coated in Switzerland.

Ian
Yes, but different base. Harman is the paper base.
I feel Imago is more like the films.

Paul Cunningham
24-Mar-2015, 09:26
Simon Galley of Ilford/Harman Technology has posted on APUG that they hoe to make an announcement fairly soon.
Ian, do you have a link for this?

Tin Can
24-Mar-2015, 12:04
I know I gave up on this product as soon as I heard of the production stoppage. I don't want to embrace a dead horse. Ever...

I sure hope they bring it back. :)

IanG
24-Mar-2015, 13:02

Ilford post in this Sub Forum (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum246/136896-status-new-direct-positive-paper.html), it's their only Forum presence.

Ian

Paul Cunningham
24-Mar-2015, 13:05
Thanks. I squirreled away some, but hoping they can bring it back.

IanG
3-Jun-2015, 05:55

Thanks. I squirreled away some, but hoping they can bring it back.

Just to update the Harman FB Direct Positive paper is back, (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=206) as predicted.

Ian

Tim Meisburger
3-Jun-2015, 07:35
That's very nice to hear. My daughter is into the Fujifilm Instax stuff, but I find the prints too small. With this stuff she could shoot ten sheets of 4x5 with my Wanderlust, hop in the closet for a few minutes, and have prints in the middle of the party. Almost instant!

Tin Can
3-Jun-2015, 08:42
That's very nice to hear. My daughter is into the Fujifilm Instax stuff, but I find the prints too small. With this stuff she could shoot ten sheets of 4x5 with my Wanderlust, hop in the closet for a few minutes, and have prints in the middle of the party. Almost instant!

I think Ilford should also offer RC as it has a much faster wash time. Washing FB for an hour as suggested, kinda slows down the immediate gratification aspect.

StoneNYC
3-Jun-2015, 08:56
I think Ilford should also offer RC as it has a much faster wash time. Washing FB for an hour as suggested, kinda slows down the immediate gratification aspect.

An hour? Is this exclusive to the positive direct FB paper? The ilford WT and Ilford Classic has way less of a wash time requirement per ilford instructions.

Thanks for info on that.

Also WOW up to 16x20!! crazy!

Tin Can
3-Jun-2015, 09:11
An hour? Is this exclusive to the positive direct FB paper? The ilford WT and Ilford Classic has way less of a wash time requirement per ilford instructions.

Thanks for info on that.

Also WOW up to 16x20!! crazy!

Read the suggested PD FB processing advice.

IanG
3-Jun-2015, 09:13

There were problems coating on the RC base from memory an entire coated master roll had to be scrapped which was expensive so they withdrew the RC version I guess it's something they'll look at, I remember Simon Galley saying that it might be possible to coat it on the old Cibachrome/Ilfocrome base when I spoke to him at a Trade show about 3 years ago.

The original emulsion was made in Switzerland by Ilford Imaging, presumably the new emulsion is made in Mobberly and that would give them greater control so perhaps there's a possibility that an RC version could return to the market place. There were legal issues as to who owned the Emulsion formula after Ilford Imaging went into Liquidation.

Ian

Tim Meisburger
3-Jun-2015, 16:59
Hmmm... Didn't think about washing FB.

Tin Can
3-Jun-2015, 17:07
Hmmm... Didn't think about washing FB.

Washing prints is so old school.

The kids these days, don't bother! They call it evolving artististic aging, a work in progress. :)

JoeV
3-Jun-2015, 19:25
And also the drying time can be lengthy for FB. Even with a rinse aid and sub-archival short rinsing, handing someone on the street a limp print is a non-starter. I do hope they make an RC version.

~Joe

cp_photo
15-Jun-2017, 17:28
Is there any up-to-date information about the availability of Harman DPP as of June 2017?

I used up one box, loved it, but can't get more.