PDA

View Full Version : How to fold benbo tripod

RodinalDuchamp
23-Mar-2015, 16:02
I have an older benbo tripod and though I like it quite a lot I have one problem with it.

I'd like to know if there is a way to fold it up as compact as possible. I can't get the legs to quite all fall into place. This may just be a design flaw. I think I run into problems because the leg knob assembly is so cumbersome they knock into each other.

Well I hope there is another benbo user out there who can lend me some advice.

TXFZ1
23-Mar-2015, 17:13
http://bit.ly/1xsMsRO

David

RodinalDuchamp
23-Mar-2015, 17:16
That's actually really awesome. Lol but the results came up with nothing. I've already googled this to death. Not a single photo online.

Tin Can
23-Mar-2015, 17:21
Give up, it is a special use tripod, that never folds down.

It's over designed to do everything, except fold.

I never use mine, I just move it around.

RodinalDuchamp
23-Mar-2015, 17:23
I use mine its the only tripod I own that can handle my 4x5. Its a great tripod I have nothing bad to say except I wish it would fold down tighter

Tin Can
23-Mar-2015, 17:32
I use mine its the only tripod I own that can handle my 4x5. Its a great tripod I have nothing bad to say except I wish it would fold down tighter

It is great, but I just looked for mine and it's way back in a closet.

I think it's good for field and stream which I seldom see anymore. This concrete, gravel and grass city is kinda flat...

It was the first real tripod I bought 20 years ago.

Struan Gray
24-Mar-2015, 01:33
The best you can do is leave the middle leg (when folded) slightly extended. Then the leg collars do not foul each other quite as much.

The centre column/arm folds down between the three legs. On the trekker at least, you can orient the leg locks so they don't stick out all round.

Mick Fagan
24-Mar-2015, 01:45
I have three Benbo tripods, the first one was purchased over three decades ago and was built by the original company, Kennet Engineering, before Patterson took the company over.

From memory the inventor was a boat outfitter and was used to manufacturing stainless steel and/or alloy boat componentry to resist corrosion, he wished for a better tripod and came up by using a bent bolt to hold the three legs together rock solid, yet still allow them unbelievable dexterity.

They can be a bit tricky at first, they can be a bit interesting to fold up and carry, but you will get there if you wish to.

I usually have the tripod so that I’m standing in-between the two rear legs, with the third leg forward, this allows the centre column to go up and down right in front of me. To fold, first remove the camera and loosen the centre column knob so you can turn it.

Withdraw the outer lower legs and loosely tighten the three knobs, but so tight you cannot turn the outer lower legs. Loosen the Bent Bolt (BenBo). Align the three outer leg knobs so they are facing toward you. Then swing the centre column downwards, and away from you so that it nestles behind the centre leg and sort of sits in-between the two outer legs.

Once you have adjusted the three outer legs so that the knobs are sort of aligned in front of your knees, tighten the knobs. At this stage I often find I’m adjusting the centre column so that the ball head is nestled inside the three legs in a neat manner. Once this is done, tighten the centre column knob.

To carry the tripod I usually use the middle leg, gripping it a little bit below the knob section, which is sort of where the centre of gravity point usually is.

They are an excellent tripod, 100% waterproof up to the knob point and can be frozen sitting in ice and snow, as well as working in extreme heat. I have used my Benbo tripods from -30ºC through to 47ºC in the shade. The only maintenance I have done is to replace the three rubber feet on my first and most used Benbo.

The early Benbo models used a steel handle, with the female thread being steel, with the last Benbo tripod I acquired Patterson had changed that component to an alloy, which to me was a foolish move. Probably done to save on manufacturing costs but passed off as a weight reducing manoeuvre.

The Benbo tripods I have, are on par with my wood Berlebach tripod, each has their strong and weak points.

Mick.

Struan Gray
24-Mar-2015, 01:49
My Trekker had a steel insert in a cast Al handle. The whole insert popped out a while back and I've not got round to replacing the handle yet - I never needed the abiiity to swing the legs in the azimuthal angle as much as I thought I would.

RodinalDuchamp
24-Mar-2015, 07:06
I have three Benbo tripods, the first one was purchased over three decades ago and was built by the original company, Kennet Engineering, before Patterson took the company over.

From memory the inventor was a boat outfitter and was used to manufacturing stainless steel and/or alloy boat componentry to resist corrosion, he wished for a better tripod and came up by using a bent bolt to hold the three legs together rock solid, yet still allow them unbelievable dexterity.

They can be a bit tricky at first, they can be a bit interesting to fold up and carry, but you will get there if you wish to.

I usually have the tripod so that I’m standing in-between the two rear legs, with the third leg forward, this allows the centre column to go up and down right in front of me. To fold, first remove the camera and loosen the centre column knob so you can turn it.

Withdraw the outer lower legs and loosely tighten the three knobs, but so tight you cannot turn the outer lower legs. Loosen the Bent Bolt (BenBo). Align the three outer leg knobs so they are facing toward you. Then swing the centre column downwards, and away from you so that it nestles behind the centre leg and sort of sits in-between the two outer legs.

Once you have adjusted the three outer legs so that the knobs are sort of aligned in front of your knees, tighten the knobs. At this stage I often find I’m adjusting the centre column so that the ball head is nestled inside the three legs in a neat manner. Once this is done, tighten the centre column knob.

To carry the tripod I usually use the middle leg, gripping it a little bit below the knob section, which is sort of where the centre of gravity point usually is.

They are an excellent tripod, 100% waterproof up to the knob point and can be frozen sitting in ice and snow, as well as working in extreme heat. I have used my Benbo tripods from -30ºC through to 47ºC in the shade. The only maintenance I have done is to replace the three rubber feet on my first and most used Benbo.

The early Benbo models used a steel handle, with the female thread being steel, with the last Benbo tripod I acquired Patterson had changed that component to an alloy, which to me was a foolish move. Probably done to save on manufacturing costs but passed off as a weight reducing manoeuvre.

The Benbo tripods I have, are on par with my wood Berlebach tripod, each has their strong and weak points.

Mick.
Mick thanks that's as small as I have been able to get it.

Mick Fagan
24-Mar-2015, 15:06
That looks pretty good, however with a bit of swivelling of the knobs you could get them to be tad closer, every little bit helps.

For extreme compactness when going on an overseas trip, I completely disassemble the tripod and it fits in pieces either in my backpack lengthways or my luggage bag diagonally. I have had moments when re-assembling all the pieces though. :D

Mick.

RodinalDuchamp
24-Mar-2015, 20:11
Thanks mick. I've been able to get it as tight as I needed. Its like Tetris but once figured out it's like riding a bike.