PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 90mm f/8 odd user experience

yuexiachou29
22-Mar-2015, 17:53
Schneider Wide Angle 90mm f/8 Super-Angulon Lens + Canham 4x5 DLC2

I used Schneider 90mm f/8 Lens for a wide shot of my house today.
Found out when the camera in zero position, nothing was shown on the ground glass. it was almost too blur to see anything
So I tilted and shifted the camera, eventually had the house showing on the ground glass.
I had never used wide angle lens on 4x5 before, and very confused by the fact that zero position doesn't give me anything to see.
because normally when I have the 210mm lens on, zero position gives me general idea on what is in front of the lens

can anyone tell me this is normal or odd?

Jac@stafford.net
22-Mar-2015, 18:03
Normal.

It is merely coincidence that the 210mm lens gives a vague image. You must rack focus back for anything wider, and forward for any lens longer.

yuexiachou29
22-Mar-2015, 19:11
i racked back the focus, it didn't seem helpful. only way i could get the focus is to tilt and shit

Normal.

It is merely coincidence that the 210mm lens gives a vague image. You must rack focus back for anything wider, and forward for any lens longer.

fishbulb
22-Mar-2015, 21:49
This is normal for my Nikon 90 f8 as well. You should be able to see an image without tilt/shift, but only when you get the focus very close to where it needs to be for a sharp subject. For a 90mm lens his should be with a very compressed bellows, e.g. about 90mm (3.5in) between the film and the lensboard. Maybe a little longer for a subject closer than infinity.

Doremus Scudder
24-Mar-2015, 01:14
... tilt and shit

:)

Y,

The lensboard needs to be approximately 90mm from the ground glass to form an image. Adjust your focus.

Doremus

Rick A
24-Mar-2015, 04:32
You may need a recessed lens board to focus this lens, your camera may not be able to compress enough with standard bellows.

Gary Tarbert
24-Mar-2015, 05:35
On a 5x4 as mentioned before you should see something with the lens about 3.5 inches or (90mm )from the film plane , one of the basics of optics is focal length = distance from film plane . If you are applying this rule then maybe Rick is on the money and you need a recessed board .

Liquid Artist
24-Mar-2015, 08:49
I agree with the recessed lens board.
I need to use one with a 90mm my Calumet.

I mainly wanted to add that wide angle lenses can be tough to focus when you aren't used to them.

Kevin Crisp
24-Mar-2015, 09:20
The Canham can handle a 90mm without a recessed lens board.