PDA

View Full Version : Stamped Made in USA shipping from china 7x17 film holders?

Tin Can
22-Mar-2015, 11:01
As I am in the process of obtaining a 7x17 ULF camera, I looked on eBay for film holders.

This may be the wrong place for this post and question, but there are 7X17 film holders for sale HERE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x17-Wooden-Film-Holder-USA-made-/271788224072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f47d72e48) which are stamped 'Made in USA' being sold and shipped from Mainland China.

Does anybody recognize these holders or know the story?

Jim C.
22-Mar-2015, 14:00
Considering the origin, I'd say take the Made in USA stamp with a grain of salt.

Tin Can
22-Mar-2015, 14:04
I considered that.

vinny
22-Mar-2015, 14:48
I have seen very similar holders that weren't chamonix being used here in the states.
China has a large middle class.
Are the Chinese not allowed to collect/use American made holders?

Tin Can
22-Mar-2015, 15:07
I have seen very similar holders that weren't chamonix being used here in the states.
China has a large middle class.
Are the Chinese not allowed to collect/use American made holders?

Nobody said that, but they appear new, they are listed as new.

This is not a slur, but a valid question if anybody has dealt with this seller and items.

As I wrote they are hand stamped Made in USA, seems to be reimporting if anything.

DennisD
22-Mar-2015, 15:36
I have some beautiful ocean front property in Arizona for sale - very reasonable...

All joking aside, this us very questionable. Why don't you communicate directly with the seller and inquire why they are selling "USA made" products from China and how they were acquired.

Or perhaps there is another explanation...

Tin Can
22-Mar-2015, 16:01
I have some beautiful ocean front property in Arizona for sale - very reasonable...

All joking aside, this us very questionable. Why don't you communicate directly with the seller and inquire why they are selling "USA made" products from China and how they were acquired.

Or perhaps there is another explanation...

I am not ready to buy yet, I am now waiting 2 weeks for the camera, so I can measure it. Then I will dig deeper. I am in contact with others about 7x17 film holders.

Jim Noel
22-Mar-2015, 18:16
Randy,
You are wise until we can complete the camera delivery. Try looking for S&S holders which were made for Sandy King for a few years. The Chamonix holders are also good ones, and available new. I am unsure of the price.

Jim

Tim Meisburger
23-Mar-2015, 05:37
For that price I would consider making them myself. I've often wondered why someone doesn't tool up and just sell stock moldings. The you could just buy a kit and pretty easily make any size you wanted. Maybe Sandy has he tooling and would be willing to sell stock moldings.

vinny
23-Mar-2015, 06:26
For that price I would consider making them myself. I've often wondered why someone doesn't tool up and just sell stock moldings. The you could just buy a kit and pretty easily make any size you wanted. Maybe Sandy has he tooling and would be willing to sell stock moldings.

Very precise procedures are required to make holders which are light tight, won't warp, and will not fall apart. I don't see how a kit would be possible with all the variables like depth of the film and the milking of the joints. And yes, I'm a woodworker.

Michael Mutmansky
23-Mar-2015, 10:24
Early on, Dick Philips made some holders. I don't know if he ever made any 7x17 or not. The ones I had were 12x20 and were painted all black, but so was the camera. Anyway, he used a similar metal plate with the groove in it at the light trap end there to very good effect.

I would be inclined to not purchased from anyone unless you are able to determine the T depth, the dimension from the window of the light trap notch, and length and width of the carcass. They all varied on the older cameras and until the modern cameras settled on Korona values, they were all over the map, even within Korona, actually (within some limits, I believe they always used the same T-depth).

The look to be quality holders. Be aware that the metal notch on the light trap plate will 'chew' at your camera if you aren't conscientious about pulling the notch out of the camera without letting it grind against the camera frame. This is likely to be especially a problem with an old camera. A new one with new wood probably won't suffer too much for a while.

---Michael

Sal Santamaura
23-Mar-2015, 13:37
Early on, Dick Philips made some holders...I'm not certain Dick made those himself. I have a vague recollection that he had them made by either Great Basin, of contact print frame fame, or Alan Brubaker.

Michael Mutmansky
23-Mar-2015, 16:16
I'm not certain Dick made those himself. I have a vague recollection that he had them made by either Great Basin, of contact print frame fame, or Alan Brubaker.

Right... I think you are correct, and in fact, it was Great Basin that he used if I recall correctly, and they used a metal registration and lighttrap piece on the end...

Colin Graham
23-Mar-2015, 16:39

Running the profiles is fairly straight-forward. The tedious part is all the detail work required for the joinery and light traps after the profiles are cut to length.

Tim Meisburger
24-Mar-2015, 04:13
Running the profiles is fairly straight-forward. The tedious part is all the detail work required for the joinery and light traps after the profiles are cut to length.

Yes, but its only tedious if you have to do it for a living! If you are just sitting around with no time pressure that kind of intricate joinery can be relaxing, at least for me. I wouldn't make 4x5 or 5x7, but from about 8x10 up it would be worth considering, especially if I could get something like milled cherry, or a nice mahogany. I guess you would also need something nice for dark slides.

We don't have enough kits any more. We should have Bender 8x10 kits and 7x11 kits and all sorts of banquet size kits, plus kits for spring backs and kits for holders. The damn world is going to hell in a hand basket...

RichardRitter
24-Mar-2015, 04:45
The link for these holder has the condition as new.

So if they were made in the United states the maker should be known by some one on this site.

Colin Graham
24-Mar-2015, 10:32
Yes, but its only tedious if you have to do it for a living! If you are just sitting around with no time pressure that kind of intricate joinery can be relaxing, at least for me. I wouldn't make 4x5 or 5x7, but from about 8x10 up it would be worth considering, especially if I could get something like milled cherry, or a nice mahogany. I guess you would also need something nice for dark slides.

We don't have enough kits any more. We should have Bender 8x10 kits and 7x11 kits and all sorts of banquet size kits, plus kits for spring backs and kits for holders. The damn world is going to hell in a hand basket...

Hey by all means- if you think there's a market for it offer some kits.

Tin Can
24-Mar-2015, 10:58
The link for these holder has the condition as new.

So if they were made in the United states the maker should be known by some one on this site.

I wonder if modern wood holders have identifying maker marks.

I have 5 of your very nice all black :) 11x14 holders, but I see no identifier on the outside, I didn't check inside right now as they are loaded.

I know fake anything is possible, but we may be fooled, while the maker would not.

Pete Roody
24-Mar-2015, 13:05
Do a search for Calumet Holders on the same site. They look identical and are sourced from China.

vinny
24-Mar-2015, 13:11
Do a search for Calumet Holders on the same site. They look identical and are sourced from China.

yeah, the calumet's are what I was referring to seeing which were similar too.

pierre506
24-Mar-2015, 15:38
Those are fake.

Tin Can
24-Mar-2015, 18:19
And this is posted right on the Chamonix front page, not that I know if the suspect holders are Chamonix.

A mystery.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/

mportant notice: The ebay store (the one sells Chamonix cameras) is run by a local dealer in Beijing, China, and is not authorized by the factory to sell its products overseas.

Which is hard to understand how somebody has

Thank you for your visit.

vinny
24-Mar-2015, 19:44
And this is posted right on the Chamonix front page, not that I know if the suspect holders are Chamonix.

A mystery.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/

mportant notice: The ebay store (the one sells Chamonix cameras) is run by a local dealer in Beijing, China, and is not authorized by the factory to sell its products overseas.

Which is hard to understand how somebody has

Thank you for your visit.

They've had that notice there for quite some time and there is a store which sells actual chamonix products on ebay.
Look up images of calumet holders.
The holders in your ebay listing look used to me if you look closely. There are some scrapes and rub marks, i think.