PDA

View Full Version : ADAMS Retouching Machine Co Denver CO #39798

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 17:15
My latest addition to the museum. Fresh off EBay for $32 + shipping.

Made of 2 aluminum castings, that make the box. Clear plastic hand rest is moveable to left or right. Lighting is 15 watt full spectrum fluorescent with small aiming mirrors. 2 more little mirrors have fallen off, but are present and replaceable.

The wiring looks safe and usable. The vibrator works fine. The light tube needs a new ballast.

Came with a variety of retouching fluids, that were in a steel drawer.

Very sturdy construction, as it should be as I think these were very expensive once upon a time.

I will touch it up, refresh the felt and neg holder to make it usable.

I'll tell infidels, it is the original Photoshop. Which it is almost, I had an earlier style solar mirror box for retouching, but I let it slip away...

Peter De Smidt
20-Mar-2015, 17:48
I had one for awhile. It does help.

Bill Burk
20-Mar-2015, 17:54
Welcome to the club. Can I call you "Mr. Retoucher"?

I'll recommend for your next purchase: A Bausch and Lomb Stereo Zoom 4 microscope...

Won't need fancy mounting, you probably have an old enlarger crank you can hack it onto.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Mar-2015, 18:07

I'm sure you know that some of those retouching fluids, in particular the ones that make a negative susceptible to pencil are a mystery! If you find what they really are, please let us know!

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 18:09
Welcome to the club. Can I call you "Mr. Retoucher"?

I'll recommend for your next purchase: A Bausch and Lomb Stereo Zoom 4 microscope...

Won't need fancy mounting, you probably have an old enlarger crank you can hack it onto.

A stereo microscope with a camera port is definity on my list. They are not cheap.

Is the Stereo IV is the best model for retouching?

Please do not call me Mr Retoucher, I'm lousy at it, but I love gadgets and I do my best to excite others of my interests, which range a bit...

I'm more likely to use this machine for imaging oddities on film. Call it not art. :)

rbultman
20-Mar-2015, 18:13
What manner of device is this? Surely no good can come of its use.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 18:16
I'm sure you know that some of those retouching fluids, in particular the ones that make a negative susceptible to pencil are a mystery! If you find what they really are, please let us know!

I do know how to make Kodak Retouching fluid, but I can't tell anyone. Seriously.

I assume you read my thread on it and the older formulae?

Bill Burk
20-Mar-2015, 18:40
It's a light table for you to hold your LF negatives in as you touch up white specks that would otherwise become black specks on your print that are a dog to remove. The vibration is used to provide "stippling" as you use pencils or stickpins to do more delicate retouching. I personally go for the black opaque on the white specks because other work is too difficult for me and print retouching is effective on most other defects.

Randy, I know neither of us will get as good as Veronica Cass... But we WILL get as good as a high school art student gets with charcoal. Good enough to get the job done.

Bill Burk
20-Mar-2015, 18:46
I think the Stereo Zoom 4 is the best bang for the buck. Have patience and look for one that is complete but with no frills... Try to keep it under 80 bucks delivered and you will get a good value. I mounted mine with a spare ball head and Durst enlarger crank, a couple nuts and brackets from a hardware store and presto... Low cost but good viewing.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 18:55
All good advice Bill.

Thanks!

I got 'most improved' in College charcoal drawing class as an adult, really! Conceptualism, storytelling and any machine are my talents. I never tell a made up story, only true stories and yet, they never quite believe me...:)

dsphotog
20-Mar-2015, 19:18
I have one also, it came from a local studio.
Sadly the expert retoucher that operated it had died, before passing on the secrets of negative retouching.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 19:48
I have one also, it came from a local studio.
Sadly the expert retoucher that operated it had died, before passing on the secrets of negative retouching.

Have at it. We are now the only experts left. I started late, but darn it, never quit trying.

It's a learned skill and talent is important, and I'm sure you have negs to experiment on.

Scratch some up, do it wrong, then try to fix one thing. No time like now, or are we all 'Waiting for Godot (http://samuel-beckett.net/Waiting_for_Godot_Part1.html)'.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Mar-2015, 20:30
I do know how to make Kodak Retouching fluid, but I can't tell anyone. Seriously.

Secret eh? Do I gotta ask Guido ta visit ya? We don wan anyting to get broke, do we? Eh? Out wid it!

--
Jac - old, old Chicago city guy now hiding in the driftless zone.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 21:09
Secret eh? Do I gotta ask Guido ta visit ya? We don wan anyting to get broke, do we? Eh? Out wid it!

--
Jac - old, old Chicago city guy now hiding in the driftless zone.

I don't scare easy. I will add, if one firmly says 'I am from Chicago and don't fuck with me' in a foreign land, cab drivers treat you better, much better! Worked in London like a charm with those dastardly Mini Cabs. :)

jnantz
21-Mar-2015, 18:20
My latest addition to the museum. Fresh off EBay for $32 + shipping.

Made of 2 aluminum castings, that make the box. Clear plastic hand rest is moveable to left or right. Lighting is 15 watt full spectrum fluorescent with small aiming mirrors. 2 more little mirrors have fallen off, but are present and replaceable.

The wiring looks safe and usable. The vibrator works fine. The light tube needs a new ballast.

Very sturdy construction, as it should be as I think these were very expensive once upon a time.

I will touch it up, refresh the felt and neg holder to make it usable.

I'll tell infidels, it is the original Photoshop. Which it is almost, I had an earlier style solar mirror box for retouching, but I let it slip away...

wow,

$32 !?
i sold mine maybe 12 years ago
got a lot more than $32 for it ..
that's a steal ..

David Lobato
21-Mar-2015, 18:33
Randy, all the wires are in pairs, meaning there is no grounding of the chassis. It has a 2 prong plug, right? Be careful and use it away from wet areas. I'm not an electrical engineer but I do recognize the old design of the wiring. No intention to throw cold water on your excitement (pun intended;)).

Tin Can
21-Mar-2015, 18:35
wow,

$32 !?
i sold mine maybe 12 years ago
got a lot more than $32 for it ..
that's a steal ..

361239405188 30 lbs of mostly aluminum

Tin Can
21-Mar-2015, 18:50
Randy, all the wires are in pairs, meaning there is no grounding of the chassis. It has a 2 prong plug, right? Be careful and use it away from wet areas. I'm not an electrical engineer but I do recognize the old design of the wiring. No intention to throw cold water on your excitement (pun intended;)).

I ground everything, including my stainless sinks, and some enlargers, like Elwoods that need it, along with new wiring. I have the whole darkroom on GFC breakers. My LED enlarger heads don't need grounding as they use low voltage double insulated wall warts.

I will rewire the Adams power cord, with chassis ground, 3 pole plug and UL tagging.

Thanks for your concern and I hope others do the same.