PDA

View Full Version : Piezography good test print image

bubblecatcher
20-Mar-2015, 03:06
Hi, so finally getting a printer together for the Piezography inks i have, just wondering if there are any test print images out there that can show the best a Piezography print can do?

thanks

Ken Lee
20-Mar-2015, 05:47
What does the Piezography vendor recommend or display ?

bubblecatcher
20-Mar-2015, 06:14
I have not yet found any recommendation on their sites.

bob carnie
20-Mar-2015, 06:48
The best it can do will be determined on how good you are.. the ink on paper is established as world class so make sure you deliver the info to the printer.

bubblecatcher
20-Mar-2015, 06:55
Thanks for reply.

yes how good i am will make a difference which is why i am looking for a baseline. As i understand piezograph shows more detail, especially in shadows and greater tone differentiation, so would a test print such one in link below be able to show these features to the full?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html

thanks

paulr
20-Mar-2015, 12:33
Another feature of piezography is very fine gradation in the highlights. Smooth tones and detail in the lightest grays before you get to paper white. Like in the clouds in the seascape in the image you linked. A good test image should ample information at both ends of the scale.

mdm
20-Mar-2015, 13:18
You can buy a test print from Piezography.

Kirk Gittings
20-Mar-2015, 13:41
Thanks for reply.

yes how good i am will make a difference which is why i am looking for a baseline. As i understand piezograph shows more detail, especially in shadows and greater tone differentiation, so would a test print such one in link below be able to show these features to the full?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html

Yes you absolutely should. Trying to print a test image can be a very worthwhile learning investment.

thanks

Ken Lee
20-Mar-2015, 13:42
In Photoshop it is easy to make step wedges and gradients. There are many tutorials on the web which show us how.

Given that Piezography uses the Quadtone RIP which drives the printer at 16-bit depth, you should use a 16-bit grayscale file.

If there are any gaps or banding, you will see the discontinuities.

Beyond using your eye, you can also use a spectrophotmeter and take measurements of observed versus expected values.

That's what we do whenever we make our own profiles for Quadtone RIP or any other printer/ink combination, and that's what Mr. Cone did when he made the Piezography profiles.

What you're really checking in the end, is

1. How good is that printer/paper/ink combination: dynamic range, color, color consistency along the tonal scale, metamerism etc.

2. How good is the profile is for that combination printer/paper/ink combination: is it linear ?

lbenac
20-Mar-2015, 15:41
Actually if you look for the custom profiling on Piezography and download the package, I think to remember that it contains a tonal scale to print.
I have been thinking about having a custom profile done for the Epson Hot Press Natural but I have really never gone around it.
Hoping that a somewhat popular paper will some time be added to the list of existing profiles...

Cheers,

Luc

Lenny Eiger
20-Mar-2015, 16:58
Hi, so finally getting a printer together for the Piezography inks i have, just wondering if there are any test print images out there that can show the best a Piezography print can do?

thanks

I have no idea where you are, but if you are close to the San Francisco Bay Area, come on over and visit. I have many examples...

Lenny