PDA

View Full Version : Color reversal print materials and processes

Jim Rice
10-Jan-2005, 20:20
I am, once again, pondering the wet-darkroom route of printing my trannies. And well aware that this could open up one of those big ole worm cans, here goes. I printed Cibachrome when it was brand new, and I remember the process as being fairly forgiving on the processing end. Also, I was young and stupid and couldn't really tell you much about how the prints turned out now that I'm old (please note the lack of "less stupid" in the last phrase). About ten years ago I dabbled with Fuji 35 SG type-R prints and found them to turn out pretty nicely while being a bit fiddly about development, especially with developer carry over issues but let's face it, neither was in a proper darkroom and I'm sure that today other issues would emerge (consistancy come immeadiately to mind). So I would be interested in the thoughts of others who have faced this issue. Final print quality is of the upmost importance. Consistancy would be second, achchival properties third and reasonably obtainable developement fourth. Hit me with your best shot. I haven't yet picked a processor, but for the volumes I anticipate a Jobo is a fine canidate.

Jim Rice
10-Jan-2005, 20:38
Oh yes, the actual question: If you were me, where would you start?

Neal Wydra
10-Jan-2005, 21:03
Dear Jim,

I think all the "R" print materials are all on existing stock. Only Ilfochrome is still supposedly in production. It will be interesting to see if Ilford keeps it, kills it, or sells it.

Neal Wydra

Ted Harris
10-Jan-2005, 21:22
Jim,

I went through the whole color printing agony and analysis two years ago. It finally came down to economics. I realized that even with sophisticated technology wet color printing in my own darkroom was costing me a lot more than digital would when I counted the cost of all the iterations I went through + time. A year ago I went digital. Still do B&W wet. I only do 8x10 in house now but find the quality that I am getting is excellent.

Roberts
11-Jan-2005, 02:14
If the quality of final print comes first, I go for Ilfochrome Classic Deluxe. The three steps process of Ilfochrome is very easy. And the cost of paper and chemicals are not expensive.

I just image if I need to scan my 4x5 or 8x10 positives and then print it by ink. The total cost (drum scanning & ink printing) may be lower than that of Ilfochrome process. But in terms of quality, if you are looking for top quality, then Ilfochrome Classic Deluxe is your choice.

If I had to rely on digial darkroom in one day, that mean I throw away all my camera gears (6x6, 4x5, 8x10, 8x20 and over 100 leica and Zeiss) and settle with something less than a photo.

Peters