PDA

View Full Version : Part Needed for Linhof Color main rail clamp knob...Red.

CropDusterMan
19-Mar-2015, 14:18
Hello everyone,

Just looking into the possibility that a member may have parts on hand for a Linhof Color 4x5 camera...in particular, the Red (Bakelite?) main rail clamp
knob as seen in the photo below. Currently, using a metric wing-nut, works ok, looks like crap.

Let me know if you have an extra you can part with and what you're looking $ for it.

Best,
Jason

Tin Can
19-Mar-2015, 14:39
Good luck! Those are the dumbest thing Linhof ever did. They are really the only weak point. I have bought entire cameras just to get those stupid knobs.

I love the cameras, but not the knobs.

Aluminum knobs would have been a far better choice in retrospect. These were always expensive cameras and this 'cost savings' is not so German...

I'm sorry, but I have none to spare and your solution is best!

Jac@stafford.net
19-Mar-2015, 16:00
How much is it worth to you?

CropDusterMan
19-Mar-2015, 16:32
No idea, but not a fan of that approach. Just simply have this nice old camera I enjoy shooting with when the spirit catches me, and
just wanted to get the right knob for it.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Mar-2015, 16:38
No idea, but not a fan of that approach. Just simply have this nice old camera I enjoy shooting with when the spirit catches me, and
just wanted to get the right knob for it.

You might look to knobs from Mcmaster Carr. I replaced the often broken plastic knobs with steel versions from them (http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-component-knobs/=wdsi1f).

CropDusterMan
19-Mar-2015, 16:39
Thanks Jac...McM have been a great source for goods for me for years. I''m hoping for an original one if poss.

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2015, 17:02
All of the parts that Marflex had left, both new and salvaged, were bought by Nippon Photo Clinic so you might start by contacting them in NYC.

CropDusterMan
20-Mar-2015, 07:35
Jac,
I'm doing a little research out of interest. I think it's safe to assume these Linhof handles were made out of Bakelite? I agree with Randy Above, that
it would have been better to go with a polished aluminum knob, but Bakelite was a pretty amazing product in its day...and it definitely made the
appearance of the camera pop when compared to many others of its time. Going with Bakelite with brass inserts would have been much cheaper.

I have considered copying the handle in cad and then machining replacements in aluminum, fortunately, I have the time to waste and the means,
(not if you ask my wife though) but I for one like the old Bakelite. ;o)

Bill_1856
20-Mar-2015, 10:09
Although Bakelite was fragile, I'm never ceased to be amazed at all the old stuff made out of it which is still intact. Apparently as long as it wasn't bashed against something, it doesn't structurally deteriorate. I'm thinking of 23 Century Graphics -- bodies still perfect. Also, I think that all of those cast-iron Bell Telephones were bakelite? I have developing tanks from the 50s which still seem perfect.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 10:45
Jac,
I'm doing a little research out of interest. I think it's safe to assume these Linhof handles were made out of Bakelite? I agree with Randy Above, that
it would have been better to go with a polished aluminum knob, but Bakelite was a pretty amazing product in its day...and it definitely made the
appearance of the camera pop when compared to many others of its time. Going with Bakelite with brass inserts would have been much cheaper.

I have considered copying the handle in cad and then machining replacements in aluminum, fortunately, I have the time to waste and the means,
(not if you ask my wife though) but I for one like the old Bakelite. ;o)

If you do make a CAD Copy, please consider sharing the file, I need a few. I would consider a shape redesign also, as the knobs really hurt my hands when very tight. They are very knobby!

The picture below shows my 1950's Linhof Color Kardan 8x10. It has 9X9" lensboard and in this image it is holding a 8X8" Deardorff lens board with a Kodak 405mm Portrait lens and an internal Packard shutter. Very heavy contraption, but sturdy.

This triple standard setup has 23 Bakelite knobs!!! and 1 OE Linhof aluminum knob on the tripod.. I'm not counting the 3 more black Bakelite tilt lock knobs which also break. It's my show piece with everything working and no broken knobs, I have a second 'parts' camera that is in dire need.

On this very heavy camera, I think breakage happened when 2 men, it requires 2 men to take it off the dedicated tripod and they put it on the floor where it falls right over and breaks some knobs. The cursing is still in the air! The removal was driven by the tripod design, which has optional parts allowing many configurations after you take the monster off the stand.

I also have the same camera as you in smaller 6x9 and I am very gentle with my baby, it lives in a padded cell...

CropDusterMan
20-Mar-2015, 11:31
I find the original design very nice to look at, but I see your point with being a wee bit rough to use...generally, I'm not
needing to tighten much though. I think if I do actually ever waste the time re-popping a handle out of Aluminum, it may
take a while to get around to. Randy, nice looking camera. The only 8x10's I ever used were Sinar P2 with the
auto-shutter. Took that thing to Nepal when I worked with Martin Schoeller as his assistant.

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 11:40
I find the original design very nice to look at, but I see your point with being a wee bit rough to use...generally, I'm not
needing to tighten much though. I think if I do actually ever waste the time re-popping a handle out of Aluminum, it may
take a while to get around to. Randy, nice looking camera. The only 8x10's I ever used were Sinar P2 with the
auto-shutter. Took that thing to Nepal when I worked with Martin Schoeller as his assistant.

The 50's Linhof were very beautiful, an oddity of form over function for Germans, that's more an Italian trait.

I had a P1 and rejected it for Horseman and Linhof. I like heavy duty Studio cameras.

However I may try a Sinar shutter, as the Horseman variation is unobtanium.

Richard Wasserman
20-Mar-2015, 11:50
I agree that these cameras are pleasing to the eye with a certain aesthetic. They always strike me as being made out of plumbing fittings....

A friend of mine had a 8x10 that his cat liked to hang out in—didn't do a lot for dust (fur) free negatives

Tin Can
20-Mar-2015, 12:19
I agree that these cameras are pleasing to the eye with a certain aesthetic. They always strike me as being made out of plumbing fittings....

A friend of mine had a 8x10 that his cat liked to hang out in—didn't do a lot for dust (fur) free negatives

I used to ride BMW /5 /6 bikes, until I bought a Ducati Monster. Very different design thinking. Now I ride a Sportster for it's ease of repair, proliferation of shops, interchanges and cheap parts.

winterclock
20-Mar-2015, 18:47
Rather than cutting one from aluminum could you take one to a 3D printer shop and have them scan and print one? If red and white are the same except for color it would seem doable. You could then pick any available filament color you'd like. Have them size the bore for a metal threaded insert and it would be quite functional. You could then upload the file to the thingiverse for anyone else needing a knob.

CropDusterMan
21-Mar-2015, 10:14
Not sure I'm sold on the whole 3D printing thing really...quite honestly, I know nothing about it. If I was to do a CAD file on it, it would be my intention to
have them done in Aluminum...I may also simply TIG one of various component to fit a design I found ergonomically pleasing to closely match the other
knobs...one can easily waste boatloads of time to solve such a simple task.