PDA

View Full Version : ULF Darkcloth

Bruce E. Rathbun
10-Jan-2005, 19:09
How about suggestions for a large darkcloth for an 8x20? My 8x10 cloth works okay for 11x14 but no larger. For clarification I need a cloth that will go all the way around with room to spare. Not too keen on the models that attatch directly to the camera as well. Is there a commercially available darkcloth this large? If not I could always make one. Anyone out there ever made a large one this size?

Gem Singer
10-Jan-2005, 19:33
Hi Bruce,

Take a look at the Harrison Silver Classic darkcloth. It's made in the USA by Camera Essentials. Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) sells them for about $50. It is large enough to use with a ULF camera and has a Velcro fastening strip (if you do decide that you want to fasten it to the camera). It comes equipped with a drawstring storage bag. I've owned several darkcloths, and this one is outstanding in the material, design, and workmanship. We were shooting in an location with 20-25mph wind gusts, recently, and it performed like a champion.

Bruce E. Rathbun
10-Jan-2005, 19:45
Eugene,
If this is the have this size of darkcloth and it will not cover the 8x20 side by side. I did find one based on the google search for Harrison Silver Classic. I found a 5x7' Photographers Formulary. Now that is what I am talking about! Thanks for your help!!!

Gem Singer
10-Jan-2005, 19:59
I just measured my Harrison dark cloth, Bruce. You're correct. It only measures 53X56 inches. It sure seems huge compared to the other dark cloths I have owned. It sounds to me that you need a horse blanket. Hope you find what you are looking for.

John Kasaian
10-Jan-2005, 20:46
Bruce,
Make one. If you need a measurement to start, measure the circumference of your camera body and that'll be the dimension for each of the sides of your new dark cloth.
Good Luck!

Pete Caluori
11-Jan-2005, 06:55
Hi Bruce,

I don't know what type of photography you're doing, but I'll offer a consideration for why you might want a dark cloth that does attach directly to the camera. I use an 8x20 camera and made an oversize darkcloth by sewing a large piece of white material (outside) to an equally large piece of black cloth (inside) and it works quite well; I still use it, but I'm going to get another one...

Using a cloth this side in the field becomes difficult in anything but the most gentle wind; it slides off the camera and becomes very frustrating to use. There are times when I had to resort to using small spring clamps to hold it on the camera to keep the wind from blowing it off. On my 8x10 camera I use a BTZS darkcloth and like it very much. It's not the perfect cloth (nothing is) but it stays on the camera even in the highest wind and provides a nice dark environment. It also seals the bottom, which is a is big source of reflected light - especially on 8x20.

My next dark cloth is going to be a BTZS sized for 12x20. This one will work with 8x20 and will serve multi purpose for 12x20 & 11x14. If you're just working in a studio, then a sufficiently large plain cloth should work quite well, but if you're going in the field consider that wind!

Regards, Pete

Michael Kadillak
11-Jan-2005, 07:44
I will second the recommendation that Pete made for the BTZS 12x20 synthetic cloth as I am currently using it for both 11x14 and 12x20. Pete has stuck his head inside it a few times when we were out shooting and yes, it does stay on the camera veru nicely in a breeze. Another wonderful feature is the light weight and compactness. You can roll it up to very nominal proportions for travel.

Cheers!

Bruce E. Rathbun
11-Jan-2005, 10:07
Okay......so maybe I will consider the BTZS cloth. Does the cloth tend to work out better when attached to the camera? My fear is that I may spend more time fumbling around attaching the cloth the back . How does it function when the holder is inserted?Last question. Is it possible to have one model for both my 11x14 and 8x20?

-Bruce

Michael Kadillak
11-Jan-2005, 10:40
The BTZS cloth has an elastic band around it to hold it on the rear standard. I use the handle and a knob or two as a reference point to hold the cloth in place and it seems to work fine. To insert a holder, I fold back the cloth just enough on the correct side of the camera to allow me to put in the film holder and pull the slide. I then let the dark cloth cover the back during the exposure. Fold the cloth back to re-insert the slide and pull the holder.

Call the folks at the View Camera Store and talk to them about your needs. They sell both a 11x14 and an 8x20 dark cloth and can provide you with direct experience to your very specific application. When I talked to them about my 12x20 and 11x14 needs, they steered me to the 12x20 cloth. It is possible that they may say that the less expensive 8x20 cloth may be better for you.

Give it a try. Everything else with these cameras is so damn large and heavy, that it is a real pleasure to find something that works and is as light as a feather.

Cheers!

Pete Caluori
15-Jan-2005, 19:56
Hi Bruce,

I just wanted to add a first hand experience that happened earlier today...

I had the opportunity to spend a few hours out photographing. I was using my 8x20 and it was a bit windy - gusts of about 20 MPH. It was next to impossible to keep my dark cloth on the camera, hold a loupe and focus; I was only able to do so by squinting and pinching the loupe between my upper eye lid and cheek, while battling to hold the dark cloth on the camera. This was extremely akward and I'm sure my focus was not perfect. I can't tell you how I wish I had a BTZS cloth like I use on my 8x10! At my earliest opportunity a larger BTZS dark cloth will be heading my way.

Good Luck!

Regards, Pete