PDA

View Full Version : Help to choose

corto
17-Mar-2015, 03:55
Hello Everybody,
I am going to sell my Shen Hao PTB 45 since I feel she is a bit too light for the kind of photography I like to do (mostly environmental portraits). I had a lot of issues with fine adjustments since everything is a bit unprecise in terms of controls.
I would like to buy a fine camera with a good balance between portability and quality in movements. Do you have any suggestions.
Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Simone Pierotti

corto
17-Mar-2015, 03:56
Of course I would like not to spend a fortune!!!! ;)

Old-N-Feeble
17-Mar-2015, 08:16
Are you okay with a heavy monorail? If so then I suggest a Toyo 45G. You can find a decent one for US$200-300. They're extremely sturdy with precise geared movements.

gregmo
17-Mar-2015, 08:43
Can also check out 4x5 Horseman monorails. Pretty inexpensive (couple hundred $), geared movements & weigh about 10 lbs. They can fit into the PhotoBackPacker's pack.

DrTang
17-Mar-2015, 08:49
Tech IV

Alan Gales
17-Mar-2015, 08:59
If you are located in the United States then you might want to look at Sinar too. There is a lot of Sinar gear out there. If you like the look of older lenses, the Sinar shutter lets you use old Petzval lenses and such with an accurate shutter.

Bernice Loui
17-Mar-2015, 09:17
Sinar or Horseman L series monorail.

Sinar F lacks geared movements except for focus but is lower weight and has the ability to use much of the Sinar system accessories. Sinar P is heavy, with precise movements. Sinar Norma is just a nice monorail overall.

IMO, Horseman L series is the most un-appreciated high quality monorail on the market. Many Sinar accessories can be used on the Horseman L series, it is very stable, precise and durable at a low used market price.

Both Sinar and Horseman have the ability to use the Sinar shutter which removes the limitations of using most lenses in barrel. Both these cameras have the ability to remove most limitations imposed by light weight field cameras.

Bernice

Hello Everybody,
I am going to sell my Shen Hao PTB 45 since I feel she is a bit too light for the kind of photography I like to do (mostly environmental portraits). I had a lot of issues with fine adjustments since everything is a bit unprecise in terms of controls.
I would like to buy a fine camera with a good balance between portability and quality in movements. Do you have any suggestions.
Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Simone Pierotti

Robert Opheim
17-Mar-2015, 10:25
A little bit heavy but very portable with as many movements as possible (with bag bellows) is the technikardan. It will take a very wide range of lens from 48mm to 450mm. It will handle fairly heavy lens - I use a Nikkor 450 M on my camera. These have come down in price since I bought mine 12 or 14 years ago.

corto
17-Mar-2015, 13:27
Thanks a lot guys....doing some research.