PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Linhof cams...

Mkillmer
16-Mar-2015, 18:38
how to measure and cut down a Linhof lens cam?
I would like to make a cam for a Linhof 4x5 - I have a 150mm cam - I presume I can cut it down to a 130mm cam?

John Z.
16-Mar-2015, 20:53
I think you will need an expert machinist to do this; Richard Ritter did one for me in the past.
I am pretty sure that S.K. Grimes can also do this.

Bob Salomon
17-Mar-2015, 04:57
Precision camera in Niles Il is factory trained for this.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Mar-2015, 08:40
Precision camera in Niles Il is factory trained for this.

Second that! They just rebuilt a hard used Linhof 6x17 for an associate. It is better than new now.

I'm sending them my Linhofs in June.

Neal Chaves
17-Mar-2015, 10:30
You would be better of to obtain an orphaned 135mm cam than to use the 150mm, too much cutting. Make sure you get the right cam for your model camera IIIs are different from IV, V, Master. Then proceed as follows.

Get youself a small machinist's hammer, a flat steel surface to work on and and a fine file. Mount the lens and set the lens infinity stops with the camera track back on its stops. Now look through the RF at a distant target. If it has focused beyond infinity, the cam is too high on the high end. If the RF does not yet coinside, the cam is too low on the high end. Use the file to lower high spots. Tap with the hammer along sections of the cam that are too low. This will stretch out the metal, adding height, and you can later smooth out the curve with the file. Use this proceedure at several more focus points closer to the camera. You can make a very accurate cam from hobby shop brass stock with this method. You can also adjust orphaned Linhof cams to a new lens this same way.

Shootar401
17-Mar-2015, 15:18
I think you will need an expert machinist to do this; Richard Ritter did one for me in the past.
I am pretty sure that S.K. Grimes can also do this.

SK grimes is grossly overpriced for what they do IMO. Can Marfex cut cams? I need one done for my 90 and 150 and they are a short walk from my office.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Mar-2015, 15:58
Marflex is gone.
Try http://krimarphoto.com/.

Other people here probably have better recommendations.
Bob S?

Bob Salomon
17-Mar-2015, 16:57
SK grimes is grossly overpriced for what they do IMO. Can Marfex cut cams? I need one done for my 90 and 150 and they are a short walk from my office.

Marflex last location, before the owner died and the company was closed, was in Anchorage, NC. That can not be a short walk from your office. It was a long drive from anywhere.

Bob Salomon
17-Mar-2015, 16:58
Marflex is gone.

Other people here probably have better recommendations.
Bob S?

Or ob Watkins who is factory trained on cutting cams.

jbenedict
18-Mar-2015, 10:22
Marflex is gone.

Their website only mentioned their Rolleiflex services. Are Linhof repairs/services/parts available?

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2015, 10:35
Their website only mentioned their Rolleiflex services. Are Linhof repairs/services/parts available?

Linhof service in the USA is:

Precision Camera Works, Bob Watkins in Niles, IL.
Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC.

Precision does cams, Nippon does not. Both are factory trained since Marflex closed.

Mkillmer
22-Mar-2015, 21:06
Thanks for the input. I am in Australia. Anyone know a aussie company that could grid a cam?

Oren Grad
22-Mar-2015, 22:10
Per the Linhof website, this is their Australian distributor:

MAINLINE Photographics Pty. Ltd.
P.O.Box 845
68 Alexander Street, 2nd floor
Crows Nest, N.S.W. 2065
Fon +61 2 94375800
Fax +61 2 94375055
sales@mainlinephoto.com.au
www.mainlinephoto.com.au

Perhaps they can tell you.