And what's the yellow filter using for?
Thanks~

Emil Schildt
15-Mar-2015, 14:51
link doesn't work

pierre506
15-Mar-2015, 16:21
link doesn't work

I don't know what happened. I can see the pictures on my cellphone.
The problem of the app?

Emil Schildt
15-Mar-2015, 17:24
don't own any app....

I'll try if I can read the text you're showing..

pierre506
15-Mar-2015, 20:42
don't own any app....

I'll try if I can read the text you're showing..

Sorry for the poor quality of the cellphone pictures and the Forum does not allow the bigger pictures.
I tried to type it.

Nicola Perscheid
Nicola Perscheid, self - portrait from 1923

Nicola Perscheid (3 December 1864 -12 May 1930 ) was a German photographer. He is primarily known for his artistic portrait photography. He developed the " Perscheid lens", a soft focus lens for large-format portrait photography.

He was born as Nikolaus Perscheid in MoselweiB ( de) near Koblenz, Germany, where he also went to school. At the age of 15, he began an apprenticeship as a photographer. Subsequently, Perscheid earned his living as an itinerant photographer; he worked, amongest other places, in Saarbrucken, Trier, and Colmar, but also in Nice, Vienna, or Budapest. In Klagenfurt, in Austria he finally found a permanent position and on 1 March 1887, he became a menber of the Photographic Society of Vienna ( Wiener Photographische Gesellschaft ). In 1889, he moved to Dresden, where he initially worked in the studio of Wilhelm Hoffert ( 1832 - 1901 ), a well-known studio in Germany at that time, before opening his own studio in Gorlitz on 6 June 1891. The next year he was appointed court photographer at the court of Albert, King of Saxony. In 1894, Perscheid moved to Leipzig.

Perscheid had his first publication of an image of his in a renowned photography magazine in 1897, and subsequently participated in many exhibitions and also had contacts with artist Max Klinger. As an established and well-known photographer, he moved in 1905 to Berlin. There, he experimented with early techniques for color photography, without much success, and when his assistant Arthur Benda ( de ) left him in 1907. Perscheid gave up these experiments altogether. His portraits, however, won him several important prizes, but apparently were not an economic success: he sold his studio on 24 June 1912.

In October 1913, he held a course at the Swedish society of professional photographers, the Svenska Fotografernas Forbund, which must have been a success as it was praised even ten years later. In 1923, he followed a call by the Danish college for photography in Kopenhagen.

Persheid had several students who would later become renowned photographers themselves. Arthur Benda studied with him from 1899 to 1902, and joined him again in 1906 as his assistant for experimenting with color photography. He left Perscheid in 1907; together with Dora Kallmus he went to Vienna and worked in her studio Atelier d'Oma, which he eventually took over and that continued to exist under the name d'Ora-Benda until 1965. Dora Philippine Kallmus herself also had studied from January to May 1907 at Perscheid's. Henry B. Goodwin, who later emigrated to Sweden and in 1913 organized Perscheid's course there, studied with Perscheid in 1903. 1924 the Swedish photografer Curt Gotlin ( 1900 -1993 ) studied at Perscheid atelje. Perscheid also influenced the Japanese photographer Toragoro Ariga, who studied in Berlin from 1908 to 1914 and also followed Perscheid's courses. He returned in 1915 to Japan.

The Perscheid lens was developed around 1920. It is a soft-focus lens with a wide depth field, produced by Emil Busch AG after the specifications of Perscheid. The lens is designed especially for large-format portrait photography. Ariga introduced the Perscheid lens in Japan, where it became very popular amonges Japanese portrait photographers of the 1920s.

Even after the sale of hes studio, Perscheid continued to work as a photographer and even rented other studio rooms in 1917. Besides artistic photography, he also always did "profane" studio portraits, for instance, for the Postkartenvertrieb willi Sanke in Berlin that between 1910 and 1918 published a series of about 600 to 700 numbered aviation postcards, including a large number of portraits of flying aces, a number of which were done by Persheid. Towards the end of the 1920s, Perscheid had several financial problems. In autumn 1929 he had to sub-rent his apartment to be able to pay his own rent. Shortly afterwards, he suffered a stroke, and was hospitalized in spring of 1930. While he was at the hopital, his belongings, including his cameras and photographic plates, but also all his furnitures were auctioned off to pay his debts. Two weeks after the auction, on 12 may 1930, Perscheid died at the Charite hospital in Berlin.

Steven Tribe
16-Mar-2015, 12:49
Thanks for posting this.

I have read this short account before somewhere and can remember some of the exact wording about his Swedish and Danish "visits".

One of the people who attended one of these "workshops" was the local "Art Studio" photographer who lived to the age of 94 (1983). He travelled in his youth to Berlin, visted Schenkel and Stieglitz and Notman in Montreal

Here is a modern (1980?) photo of him with his Görlitzer Studio set and a very large lens (Heliar Universal?). Photo was taken by the best modern era photographer in Denmark (also in his 90's now), Viggo Rivad - probably with his beloved Rolleiflex.

pierre506
16-Mar-2015, 17:16
Dear Steven,
What's the Lifa yellow filter real meaning? I found most Perscheid lenses without it now. But it is said that the filter is important for the lens.

seven
17-Mar-2015, 05:30
usually an yellow filter is used with b&w film to enhance overall contrast.

goamules
19-Mar-2015, 06:13
I believe the yellow filter makes the image less soft. If that wavelength wasn't filtered out, you'd have more chromatic aberration from that color's focus shift.

pierre506
19-Mar-2015, 16:33
The story tells:
Do not dive to the photography too much, even if you are a famous photographer or lens maker.
Otherwise, you would die in a very poor condition.