PDA

View Full Version : question about Linhof finder

Bejenaru Matei
14-Mar-2015, 02:12
Hello,
I just bought an used Linhof finder for my Linhof master Technika 4x5. When I selected the focal lenght on the finder and compared to the groundglass image, I noticed that the finder covers only 75-80% of the groundglass image. Same to the other focal lenghts of the lenses I have.
Is this normal? Or maybe I have to unscrew the finder and recalibrate it, if possible?
Thank you in advance for your replays,
Matei Bejenaru

Jac@stafford.net
14-Mar-2015, 07:12
Hello,
I just bought an used Linhof finder for my Linhof master Technika 4x5. When I selected the focal lenght on the finder and compared to the groundglass image, I noticed that the finder covers only 75-80% of the groundglass image. Same to the other focal lenghts of the lenses I have.
Is this normal? Or maybe I have to unscrew the finder and recalibrate it, if possible?
Thank you in advance for your replays,
Matei Bejenaru

Which finder is it, the earlier or later type? If the earlier, then which one, the one that goes to 75mm or 90mm? You will find nothing adjustable inside on the earlier. The scale at the bottom is all you need to look at. Find the actual coverage by comparing the ground glass as you change the focal length (ignoring detents, if any), and mark that focal length to the distance scale.

Regardless, 80% is still not so bad. The film holder cuts off some coverage anyway.

I cannot help with the new model because I've never used one.

Bejenaru Matei
14-Mar-2015, 08:03
Thank you very much for the answer!
I have a new version, from the 80s-90s.
Together with a watch repair person I will check the finder.
Best!

e
14-Mar-2015, 11:20
Just twist it a lil bit...until it matches the GG..for whatever lens you are using...

Bill_1856
14-Mar-2015, 14:04
I just checked out my "old style" Linhof finder at 180mm. Much to my surprise, it wasn't even close -- more like the 75% you found! It's a darn good thing that I never used it to compose, although I have occasionally carried it in my pocket to scout out compostions.

dave_whatever
14-Mar-2015, 16:59
The Linhof finders seems to be setup a little like rangefinder bright lines in terms of their coverage, I.e. they are fairly conservative. If you are using them for estimating compositions or scoping a scene then I found I needed to adjust a little, comparing actual view to ground glass image. So I find with my later model version, the 75mm setting is really giving the image I see on the ground glass with a 90mm lens. The 135mm setting corresponds to the actual view of a 150mm lens, and so on. I did a new set of labels for mine and taped them on, so now it's fairly accurate for composition purposes if I ignore the factory markings.130822

Bill_1856
14-Mar-2015, 19:20
At least with my Speed/Crown Graphics I can choose the viewfinder mask to actually agree with the ground glass image.

Bob Salomon
15-Mar-2015, 02:07
The Linhof finders seems to be setup a little like rangefinder bright lines in terms of their coverage, I.e. they are fairly conservative. If you are using them for estimating compositions or scoping a scene then I found I needed to adjust a little, comparing actual view to ground glass image. So I find with my later model version, the 75mm setting is really giving the image I see on the ground glass with a 90mm lens. The 135mm setting corresponds to the actual view of a 150mm lens, and so on. I did a new set of labels for mine and taped them on, so now it's fairly accurate for composition purposes if I ignore the factory markings.130822

Which mask is on the front of your finder? The 4x5 or the 9x12? It is marked on the back side of the mask.

dave_whatever
15-Mar-2015, 02:16
Bob it's the 5x4" mask. I only have that one and a 56x72mm mask which is obviously a lot smaller frame, which I never use as I don't shoot 6x7.

Bob Salomon
15-Mar-2015, 05:23
Bob it's the 5x4" mask. I only have that one and a 56x72mm mask which is obviously a lot smaller frame, which I never use as I don't shoot 6x7.

Then you can either have a machinist enlarge the opening in the mask or you can adjust the zoom to compensate. However, the Multifocus Optical Finder was designed for hand held use and using it that way you would normally prefer to have a bit of cropping in the finder as precise framing is rather difficult when hand holding a 45 Technika.

e
15-Mar-2015, 21:54
Hi Bob..I'm thinking about mounting my Linhof finder to the top of my 8x10..does Linhof sell the part that it mounts to separately..?
Thanks, E..

Bill_1856
16-Mar-2015, 05:29
you would normally prefer to have a bit of cropping in the finder as precise framing is rather difficult when hand holding a 45 Technika.

Nonsense! When you pay big bucks for a viewfinder, you expect it to be exact!

Bob Salomon
16-Mar-2015, 06:21

Bill, just think, since you have joined in 2001 exactly how many times have you seen anyone complain about the accuracy of the finder, other then this thread?

It is a great example of tiliting at windmills.

If you want to see more in the finder just zoom the ring to control the setting. Oh, I forgot, you didn't buy that version. So you just change the amount of extension of your finder. Now you can see all 100%.

Bejenaru Matei
16-Mar-2015, 11:45
Thank you very much for your answer!
One last question: is the parallax ring working fine at your finder? At mine, not...

Bob Salomon
16-Mar-2015, 13:31
Thank you very much for your answer!
One last question: is the parallax ring working fine at your finder? At mine, not...

When you adust the distance ring two things happen:
1 the finder adjusts for parallax.
2 the finder adjusts for field area.

That second function means that the area shown in the finder changes area as you adjust for different distances. If your ring is not working properly then you might have just found the problem with the cropping with your finder.

Bill_1856
16-Mar-2015, 14:20
Bob, how many new Technikas are sold in the US yearly?

Shootar401
16-Mar-2015, 14:22

If you don't like it design then make something better. I have the most recent version and although it's not 100% it's not meant to be used for critical framing and composing. It does the job and does it well.

Bob Salomon
16-Mar-2015, 15:50
Bob, how many new Technikas are sold in the US yearly?

As many as possible. But that figure is not public.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Mar-2015, 16:00
Four years ago I used a Linhof Super Technika purely as a rangefinder with the old style finder and a 135mm Planar. Within a matter of a week I knew what was framed, and what was not. (Details available.) The accuracy of the rangefinder was astounding. Outcome was just fine because as a sometimes Leica RF user I appreciate viewing a bit more than what is captured on film. That is the state of rangefinders.

Enjoy or do not. It is all a matter of practice.

With respect,
Jac

Bill_1856
16-Mar-2015, 18:30
As many as possible. But that figure is not public.

That few, eh? 10? 20? 52 (One a week or less)?