PDA

View Full Version : One full day in the Moab area

richardman
11-Mar-2015, 23:43
Traveling to Salt Lake City at the end of March. and I allocate a full day around the Moab area Yes, I know, I need a full year and then some, but that's all I can afford right now.

I am thinking about getting up godawful hour to photograph sunrise, hike a little, sleep, then somewhere else for afternoon hike and sunset. Light hiking only please.

What do you recommend? May be the overdone-but-not-by-me Mesa Arch sunrise and then Bryce Canyon sunset? Open to any suggestions.

Oh, I presume a good SUV is important, rather than a compact which we would normally get?

THANKS!

John Layton
12-Mar-2015, 05:08
If I were in the Moab area for a day, and wanted only light hiking, I'd likely take my 5x7 up the hill to Arches and ignore the crowds by shooting upwards into the arches with a #58 green filter. Then again, getting over to Bryce....starting with a photo in Arches...then driving up 191, turning west and across that thankfully brief interval on 70 West...then down 24 - make a quick stop in Goblin Valley, run down to the goblins and take one or two well-considered photos, then continue on through Hanksville and over to Capitol Reef (no time to stop unfortunately, except maybe a quick grab at Goosenecks on the Torrey side) - then up out of Torrey on rt 12 west for an amazing drive up and over, down through the birch forests past an amazing overlook of Capitol Reef...and along that amazing series of switchbacks above the Escalante (try driving this at night - and do pay attention to those arrows!), then down to Boulder - where there is a nice cafe to grab a beer and a great sandwich - and then down past the Kodachrome basin turnoff and over to Bryce. But wait...what about that turnoff just before Kodachrome? Hole In The Rock Road...18 miles or so down this is a great "Devils Playground," with some wonderful small arches and hoodoos. My question is: how are you going to do this in a day? Possible yes...but with a large format camera? An iPhone might be a better choice! At any rate...have fun!

Erik Larsen
12-Mar-2015, 05:20
I hope you realize Bryce is nowhere near Moab? If you want to do Mesa Arch in the morning, I would just stay in Canyonlands all day and and look for a nice scene of the canyons for sunset. There are a million photos waiting to made in Canyonlands, pick one:)

You should be fine in a compact car in the National parks.

David Lobato
12-Mar-2015, 06:10
For easy access by car I'd go to Arches NP or Canyonlands NP Island in the Sky. For more walking/hiking Canyonlands NP Needles district is really nice (my favorite). A compact car is all you need. The weather in late March can be unpredictable so be prepared for rain or shine.

biedron
12-Mar-2015, 06:31
Yeah, you have no real hope of visiting the Moab area and Bryce in the same day - pretty much opposite sides of the state. You could stay in Canyonlands all day. Or stay in Arches all day. Or you could do sunrise in one and sunset in another - they are about 1 hour travel time distant. The drive along the Colorado river along Rt 128 is nice during late afternoon - starts right outside Moab, before you get to Arches. The drive in the other direction along the Colorado - I think it is called Potash Rd (279) - is also nice. Corona and Bow Tie Arches are on a not-to-strenuous hike off of Potash Rd. Along the way there are a number of petroglyphs viewable off the side of the road.

If you don't mind icons (nothing wrong with them IMHO), the sunrise view from Mesa Arch is awesome. As is the sunrise view from Dead Horse Point (a short detour on the way to Canyonlands). But you won't be even remotely alone in either location at sunrise. Both are easy hikes - Dead Horse doesn't even qualify as a "hike" - 100 steps from the parking lot. I shot Mesa Arch on my trip this last fall. I got there about 4:15 for a 6:00 sunrise, and I was not the first one there. You will likely be elbow to elbow (literally) at Mesa Arch at sunrise. DHP offers more opportunity to spread out. A sunset icon is Delicate Arch in Arches. You won't be alone there either, but the view is great.

My favorite location in Canyonlands is False Kiva. There is just something about the view from that alcove that really resonates with me. It is probably not what some would consider an "easy" hike (of course one person's "easy" is someone else's "difficult"), as the trail is steep in parts and has lot of loose rocks that you need to be careful on. Probably best in mid-late afternoon. You'll have to do some online research or check in at the Ranger Station for directions - False Kiva is not on the park map. If you go, please be respectful of access restrictions in the alcove - it is an archeological site.

Regarding the SUV, I think if the other aspects of your trip do not required renting an SUV, and you really do have only one day in the Moab area, it is probably not with the extra expense over a compact car for this trip. There are lots of "light hiking" opportunities in the Moab area that are accessible from paved roads. The starting points for all of the locations I mention above are accessible by low clearance car.

Bob

Drew Wiley
12-Mar-2015, 08:45
Are you nuts? Just pick one spot or relaxed quiet walk and spend some quality time in the desert. You'll experience more memorable things in one micro-trip than in some macro-gas-guzzling rush all across the state trying to sightsee the mandatory 1/100 of % of official scenic overlooks. I single day will barely get you to
some of those famous overlooks around Moab and back. There's distance involved. Moab itself has become a bit of a tourist trap mobbed by bicyclists. But you
don't have to drive far. Arches is nearby, with plenty to see. If you hike around obviously carry water and be certain of where you are headed. Some trails are
signed, but some are not. Courthouse Wash can be an easy off-trail hike not far from the entrance and main set of arches. Or, the other direction from Moab,
you could drive right along the Colorado River up toward Cisco, passing some fabulous scenery like Fisher Towers - a nice spot for a casual hike or picnic (assuming you're not interested in climbing the highest sandstone tower in the world that day!). You can't do it all! But you might have enough time leftover
from either excursion for a sunrise or sunset run up to Deadhorse Point and that famous overlook (best at dawn). There's a campground up there too. I'd recommend spending the night up there instead of some motel in town, getting some dawn shots, then having enough time to cross right into either Arches or
that drive I mentioned afterwards for the main part of the day. There are some stunning full day hikes in the immediate area too, but I don't know of what
your idea of "light" hiking is. The Needles area is quite a drive from Moab if you expect to see Arches. Don't underestimate the distances. You could spend a lifetime in this area and see only a tiny fraction of what it has to offer.

Richard Raymond
12-Mar-2015, 10:09
Richard,
Do Mesa Arch at sunrise and maybe Dead Horse Bend and then drive back to Arches (30 miles?) and get some photos during the day. (Note: make sure the weather will be clear at sunrise. If not, just stay in Arches NP.) There are many interesting shots there including Delicate arch which is a short hike but will have plenty of people there at sunset. Also, the spectacles may be interesting for you where you can combine landscape and people. Landscape arch is a short walk and may provide what you are looking for in photos.
All of these areas have paved roads so no SUV required. Any car that will hold your equipment and luggage will do.
Enjoy your trip.
Regards,
Ric Raymond

Leszek Vogt
12-Mar-2015, 11:05
You could easily do either Canyonlands and/or Arches (or little at each). Plenty of visual distractions and wonderful views. If you are adamant about something slightly different, you may want to try Fisher Towers.

Les

Drew Wiley
12-Mar-2015, 12:10
Canyonlands north section (with Deadhorse Point State Park) is directly opposite Arches. The completely separate southern Needles section of Canyonlands is a considerably longer drive. But a single park entrance fee is valid for both Arches and Canyonlands. And yes the roads are paved, but even pulling off onto a turnout
of slickroad clay can get you seriously stuck after a rain - hard as concrete one day, pure soap the next. Something to be aware of (I learned the hard way).

Heroique
12-Mar-2015, 16:08
Just pick one spot or relaxed quiet walk and spend some quality time in the desert.

Or to put it in three easy steps:

1) Just go to Arches NP
2) Park at any stop
3) Walk into the landscape (off trail), keep your bearings, return to the car before dark.

No matter your final plan, try to minimize car travel and crowd exposure, and you'll have a great time!

richardman
12-Mar-2015, 16:19
SORRY! I didn't check the map and did not realize Bryce is a billion miles away. Of course I meant to say basically stay within the same spot or within 30-40 miles.

Thanks for some good suggestions. I will be with my wife and I expect to spend time between sunrise and sunset eating lunch and chewing the scenery.

Michael Roberts
12-Mar-2015, 18:03
Or to put it in three easy steps:

1) Just go to Arches NP
2) Park at any stop
3) Walk into the landscape (off trail), keep your bearings, return to the car before dark.

No matter your final plan, try to minimize car travel and crowd exposure, and you'll have a great time!

The landscape in Arches (other than the slickrock) is extremely fragile cryptobiotic soil. So please do not just wander off trail destroying the landscape (sorry, Heroique). Check with the rangers if you want to find uncrowded places.

richardman
12-Mar-2015, 18:10
The landscape in Arches (other than the slickrock) is extremely fragile cryptobiotic soil. So please do not just wander off trail destroying the landscape (sorry, Heroique). Check with the rangers if you want to find uncrowded places.

No worry, we are mild mannered tree hugging liberals and will STAY ON THE TRAILS, ha ha. No Globlin rock pushing for us.

Michael Roberts
12-Mar-2015, 18:21
Leave Moab for Mesa Arch 30 minutes before sunrise. Get to the trailhead 15 min after sunrise, and to the arch 30 minutes after sunrise. The glow under the arch will still be good, and the crowd will be gone or leaving. Spend 30 to 40 minutes there, then drive to Dead Horse Point State Park and follow the road to the end (30 min drive, on the way back to town).

Go meet your wife for brunch at the Jailhouse.

In Arches, Double Arch is good around late morning to midday, Balanced Rock is good late afternoon with the La Sal mountains in the background. If you drive up the hill to the picnic area opposite the Balanced Rock parking lot, you can get a good panorama with the rock, petrified dunes, and mountains.

Easy hikes are around Balanced Rock, and to Double Arch and back. The road to Balanced Rock takes you by some wonderful hoodoos and cliff walls. More wonderful stuff off the road to the Windows area where Double Arch is located.

RandyB
12-Mar-2015, 18:54
While in Moab you might check out the Tom Till Gallery, he is an excellant landscape photographer. I did a workshop with him in the Great Smokies several years ago and learned a lot.

h2oman
12-Mar-2015, 19:44
I'd consider just poking around the San Rafael Swell instead. Do a bit of poking around on the web. It has lots of great stuff, far fewer people, and is closer to SLC.

h2oman
12-Mar-2015, 20:18
OK, I did a little research, so I can be more specific. Drive down planning to be at the Wedge overlook at around dawn. After that, drive down Buckhorn Wash, which runs roughly north-south. The east side should be shady in the morning, but with nice reflected light coming from the lit up west walls. Make your way down to Little Wild Horse canyon by lunchtime or early afternoon. Those things alone should provide many photographic opportunities. You might see things you want to revisit in late afternoon or evening.

Do your own research, but I recall all of the driving to be on good gravel roads. There is a lot of info on the web about those places. Check out the images for the Wedge overlook.

Kimberly Anderson
12-Mar-2015, 20:39
Hell if I were going to Moab and wanted a memorable experience, I'd go and actually *see* Tom Till...not just the gallery. One of the most memorable portfolio reviews I've ever had were the few hours he spent looking through a box of loose prints when I cold called him several years ago. A very generous man with his time, if he's in town.

There's no way to have the perfect photographic experience *anywhere* in that short of time. Just pick a road, get a map, fill your drink cup, get some jerky and just go for a drive. Quit worrying about having the best experience you can have and just go have the one the road leads you to.

Heroique
12-Mar-2015, 21:37

Yes, I applaud efforts to avoid walking on living soil crusts – but don't let that stop anyone from parking at any stop, and walking into the desert landscape (with care). That is, "getting lost" for a half-day or a full day ... away from the crowds.

You're allowed to do this.

Better, you can also select a place to pitch a tent and stay the night with a free permit.

richardman
12-Mar-2015, 22:21
AGain, thanks for all the great suggestions, just a note that I am not looking for the "Perfect Experience," just some suggestions, which some of you have shared and I will figure out what to do. Thanks.

Drew Wiley
13-Mar-2015, 08:58
One way to help preserve cryptobiotic soils is to run over a few trail bikers while you are there!

Heroique
16-Mar-2015, 13:55
One way to help preserve cryptobiotic soils is to run over a few trail bikers while you are there!

That reminds me – a quick tip for travelers to Arches NP.

As you approach the park on Hwy 191, keep your speed down and watch for traffic cops.

Last visit, I recall seeing several vehicles pulled over, all of which had mountain bikes on car racks. I'm certain they were speeding (easy to do in desert country), but part of me wished they were getting cited for bringing mountain bikes into the area! An Edward Abbey moment.

richardman
24-Mar-2015, 22:40
Well, bugaboo - daughter is sick and we have to reschedule. Now looking at early May, may be too hot then. Well, I will think of something.