PDA

View Full Version : Identify this gizmo

RodinalDuchamp
11-Mar-2015, 15:33
I purchased this fujinon 125 because it was an older style and has more coverage than the newer ones.

It looks like it's mounted in a crown graphic board which is good for me but it has this big circle adapter holding it together with 4 machine screws.

What is this type of adapter called and why would it be necessary? The shutter is a 0 Seiko which I believe is equal at least in thread size to a copal 0.

Old-N-Feeble
11-Mar-2015, 16:00
My guess is the hole in the board was too big for the shutter so a previous owner found a round plate with a hole close enough in size and screwed it to the board. That shouldn't be a problem.

RodinalDuchamp
11-Mar-2015, 16:02
Here is a couple more pictures.

Your hypothesis seems right. But I don't think crown graphic boards came in a copal 1.

Kirk Gittings
11-Mar-2015, 16:06
Ditto the above including does not create any problem.

Louis Pacilla
11-Mar-2015, 16:06
I purchased this fujinon 125 because it was an older style and has more coverage than the newer ones.

It looks like it's mounted in a crown graphic board which is good for me but it has this big circle adapter holding it together with 4 machine screws.

What is this type of adapter called and why would it be necessary? The shutter is a 0 Seiko which I believe is equal at least in thread size to a copal 0.

Never mind.

RodinalDuchamp
11-Mar-2015, 16:10
Well great to hear it won't be a problem but I hope it wasn't listed as a Seiko 0 mistakenly and is actually a 00 as I have another 00 awaiting repair already and it's not fun.

Dan Fromm
11-Mar-2015, 16:11
That's a flange. Graflex sold undrilled boards. They could be bored any size desired up to the largest possible that didn't destroy the board.

The modern shutter size standards that we associate with Copal shutters were invented in Germany by Deckel, who made Compur shutters. The lensboard is a Pacemaker Graphic board. Pacemaker Graphics were introduced in 1947. The Compur (later Compur/Copal/Prontor/Seiko) standard was invented before WW-II. The board could well have been drilled for a lens in Compur #1.

RodinalDuchamp
11-Mar-2015, 16:12
Dan thank you for that very thorough response.

mdarnton
11-Mar-2015, 16:29
I have seen a couple of lenses with huge aluminum flanges similar to this one serving as lock rings. I sometimes wonder if they weren't made as a round lens board for some particular camera.