PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 5x7 folder, Seneca or alternative

dimento
11-Mar-2015, 12:56
Thinking about buying a cheap 5x7 camera. I had a brief dalliance with a Seneca last Summer, which I foolishly disposed of. It was basic and rickety but cheap and the images looked good with a modern lens.

I have in mind some daylight portraits, outdoors, and am looking light, folding and cheap. is the seneca the only option, or is there anything else I should be looking at?

And if anyone has something working........ pls pm

photonsoup
11-Mar-2015, 15:22
I just picked up a Gundlach Korona. It seems sound, but I just got it yesterday. I have to build some lensboards.

It has front rise and fall, rear swing and tilt. Rise, tilt and focus are all geared.

I don't know your definition of cheap, but I paid $200.00 for it.

Ari
11-Mar-2015, 15:54
Paul is selling a really nice 5x7 kit: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?119997-FS-Kodak-no-33-Portrait-Camera-kit-with-lenses-holders-bag-etc&highlight=kodak+33a
I'm not sure that it meets your definition of cheap.

John Kasaian
11-Mar-2015, 16:55
Cheap 5x7s are what you make of them. There are bargains, and then there is worn out cheap. Worn out cheap isn't really cheap if you have to send it anywhere for repairs. Senecas, Kodaks, Agfa-Anscos, Koronas, B&J, etc..etc... will all do a pretty good if they are in usable condition and the nut on the end of the shutter release cable is doing it's job :o

Two23
11-Mar-2015, 18:48
Paul is selling a really nice 5x7 kit: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?119997-FS-Kodak-no-33-Portrait-Camera-kit-with-lenses-holders-bag-etc&highlight=kodak+33a

Wow, for only $500 that one IS a beauty!

Kent in SD

dimento
12-Mar-2015, 03:00
It's beautiful alright, but with euro at parity with the dollar, way beyond what I can afford

dimento
12-Mar-2015, 03:01
Cheap 5x7s are what you make of them. There are bargains, and then there is worn out cheap. Worn out cheap isn't really cheap if you have to send it anywhere for repairs. Senecas, Kodaks, Agfa-Anscos, Koronas, B&J, etc..etc... will all do a pretty good if they are in usable condition and the nut on the end of the shutter release cable is doing it's job :o

:) indeed. Cheap and working I suppose. I'd love to have the restoration skills, but....

dimento
12-Mar-2015, 03:02
I just picked up a Gundlach Korona. It seems sound, but I just got it yesterday. I have to build some lensboards.

It has front rise and fall, rear swing and tilt. Rise, tilt and focus are all geared.

I don't know your definition of cheap, but I paid $200.00 for it.

Interesting, thanks will have to add them to the list, although $200 is more than I would hope to pay for a Seneca, maybe I'm deluding myself :)

Michael Graves
12-Mar-2015, 05:52
Interesting, thanks will have to add them to the list, although $200 is more than I would hope to pay for a Seneca, maybe I'm deluding myself :)

Whether or not you can get something for $200.00 will depend on your willingness and ability to put in some work restoring a sloppy camera. Or whether or not you get really lucky. I've seen a number of Korona and Eastman cameras go for around $200, but they all looked like they needed a bit of help to get them functional. I bought my 5x7 2D with a 10" Ektar and a 4x5 reducing back for $475.00 and it looks pretty and functions as new. I considered myself very lucky, and I find myself taking that camera out more often than I do a 5x7 Canham I bought a couple of years ago. It sets up and tears down much more quickly.

scheinfluger_77
12-Mar-2015, 08:16

Wow, and I thought I did good with the 2D kit I recently purchased.

Michael Roberts
12-Mar-2015, 17:00
You can find a 1900 vintage camera for $75-150. If it comes with a lens that works and you don't need it, you can resell it to recoup some of your cost.

Look for one with a good bellows and with an outer leather covering that is coming off. Strip the exterior leather covering and refinish the mahogany underneath.

The only trick is modifying the back for modern film holders. I can advise you how to do this if you are interested.

Michael

dimento
17-Mar-2015, 04:04
You can find a 1900 vintage camera for $75-150. If it comes with a lens that works and you don't need it, you can resell it to recoup some of your cost.

Look for one with a good bellows and with an outer leather covering that is coming off. Strip the exterior leather covering and refinish the mahogany underneath.

The only trick is modifying the back for modern film holders. I can advise you how to do this if you are interested.

Michael
Thanks Michaek, good suggestions, much appreciated, regards, Damian