PDA

View Full Version : Huge Zeiss Epikar lens...

Emil Schildt
6-Mar-2015, 11:49
just got one as a gift...

600mm F4 - 6" wide glass (16cm)

heavy as He**

Anyone know (projection, I know) about that FL and whether it might be useful for normal image making?

Steven Tribe
6-Mar-2015, 12:39
A gift from your worst enemy, perhaps.

Could be:

"Epi-Anastigmat f4.0/300mm in 1930, on an Epidiascope.
f4.0/500mm, f4.0/600mm on other models." from Len VM.

I have a similar (fortunately smaller) Epis from Ernst Leitz, which is a triplet design. I have split the barrel and used the focussing mount to move the central lens forward (Heliar Universal style).

it might be useful for normal image making

Probably not Emil! - but it would certainly suit your iconoclastic image making!

Jody_S
6-Mar-2015, 16:31
A gift from your worst enemy, perhaps.

Could be:

"Epi-Anastigmat f4.0/300mm in 1930, on an Epidiascope.
f4.0/500mm, f4.0/600mm on other models." from Len VM.

I have a similar (fortunately smaller) Epis from Ernst Leitz, which is a triplet design. I have split the barrel and used the focussing mount to move the central lens forward (Heliar Universal style).

Probably not Emil! - but it would certainly suit your iconoclastic image making!

I have the 300mm version of this, it is indeed a triplet, and vignettes on 8x10 at infinity if you want an idea of coverage.

Andrew Plume
7-Mar-2015, 02:28
I believe that these large triplet style projection lens are much undervalued and unloved, having considerable artistic possibilities and can be bought at incredibly cheap prices

after all what other style of lens will have a focal length of 600mm and be so fast, I'm surprised that the wet plate guys/girls are not picking these up.............or perhaps they are......?

regards
andrew

Emil Schildt
7-Mar-2015, 02:56
after all what other style of lens will have a focal length of 600mm and be so fast, I'm surprised that the wet plate guys/girls are not picking these up.............or perhaps they are......?

my thought too...

Steven Tribe
7-Mar-2015, 03:24
This is my big Epis.

The front and rear lens cells are fixed to the sleeve. This was after I had cut the chrome barrel below/above the cells. Then I removed a section of the remaining barrel, which allows the central lens to move closer to the front lens. The original focussing track allows the central lens to be adjusted to the "soft" position required. Not the fine design of the Universal Heliar, and there is a substantial light entry hole. But nothing that a dark cloth can fix. No images as yet, the GG images look promising. This won't work with all epi-lenses; the length of the sleeve and the chrome barrel must be a good lengthwise match.

Emil Schildt
7-Mar-2015, 05:15
looks cool Steven...

Here's some snaps of my beast.. Rollei for size..

Jody_S
7-Mar-2015, 11:58
This is my big Epis.

The front and rear lens cells are fixed to the sleeve. This was after I had cut the chrome barrel below/above the cells. Then I removed a section of the remaining barrel, which allows the central lens to move closer to the front lens. The original focussing track allows the central lens to be adjusted to the "soft" position required. Not the fine design of the Universal Heliar, and there is a substantial light entry hole. But nothing that a dark cloth can fix. No images as yet, the GG images look promising. This won't work with all epi-lenses; the length of the sleeve and the chrome barrel must be a good lengthwise match.

What a wonderful idea! My 300mm would make a great SF portrait lens on 5x7 if I do this! I think I even have the right size Packard to mount it to.

Tracy Storer
7-Mar-2015, 12:21
Mmm, What big Eyes you have ! Not for hand-held, but if you have a portrait camera on a stand, and a long room to shoot in...and / or a long bellows?