PDA

View Full Version : Traveling With 8x10 and all the accessories...

Michael Gaillard
4-Mar-2015, 20:46
I'm a bit concerned about traveling with all of my gear, and checking much of it, for a trip out west. Any suggestions aside from shipping it?

I was thinking about putting my lens, camera, and tripod head (a smallish ball head) in a carry-on, and packing my camera bag with all my clothes and film holders, bags, etc, and just checking that one bag (a converted video lighting kit box).

2 Questions…
1) I have the new 5 Series Gitzo, is it safe in a decent tripod bag (this one: http://www.manfrotto.com/tripod-bag-padded-100cm), again, without the head included? Or should I box it up?
2) What is the consensus on film these days? I hear so many conflicting perspectives. I'm inclined to order it online and have it delivered to my destination, thus saving me all the hassle of explaining to a 23 year old TSA employee what film is. And then worrying all flight whether the whole trip is wasted by an overzealous scanner.

2b… but then, how safe is FedEx to ship film? I'm thinking totally fine, but… is it?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I'm just curious what others have done.

karl french
4-Mar-2015, 21:37
Back when I was traveling across the US semi regularly with an 8x10 outfit (2003-2006.) I would carry on the camera and 4 lenses in a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW and a book bag with 6 8x10 holders (and a couple boxes of film.) Then I would just stash an older aluminum Gitzo with the head detached in my big duffel with all my clothes (Checked.) Worked out just fine.

Michael Gaillard
4-Mar-2015, 22:03
Sounds about right. Thanks.

biedron
4-Mar-2015, 22:11
I use my Photobackpaker pack as my carryon with camera, film, and lenses in it. If I need extra carryon room (when don't I ??) I use a small collapsable nylon bag to hold film or lenses as my "small personal item".

There is no issue sending your film through the carryon x-ray. My opinion is you are asking for trouble if you ask for a hand inspection. Again, just let your film go through carryon x-ray. Of course do not put film in your checked bag.

I simply put my tripod in my checked bag (a regular suitcase). I use the biggest suitcase I have, and put my tripod in diagonally. I have shipped a Gitzo 5 series this way. Film holders go in the checked bag too.

One thing I find handy is a small luggage scale (I think I got mine at Office Depot or some such) that I can weigh my checked bag. I bring the scale with me on the trip. That way I can be sure to get as close as possible to the 50lb limit without going over. I'm always right at the max with all my stuff.

On my last couple of trips I have used both 4x5 and 8x10, and to manage all that I have shipped out the 4x5 camera and some lenses via UPS prior to my trip. I've put film in the UPS box too without problems. But shipping that way, with a reasonable amount of insurance is pretty expensive, not to mention the hassle of shipping it back from a location near the airport in a city you may not be that familiar with. But I somehow don't trust checking cameras and lenses on my airline flight if I don't have to. A lost tripod, though expensive, is readily replaceable, in just a few days. Could take a while to find replacements for your LF camera or lenses.

Bob

John Kasaian
4-Mar-2015, 22:32
Where are you coming from and where will you be landing? Are you camping or hotelling?

StoneNYC
5-Mar-2015, 12:01
Pelican Cases....

Michael Gaillard
5-Mar-2015, 20:29
Thanks guys. I'm coming from Brooklyn and headed to CA. Couch surfing with some hotels and maybe a camping excursion or two mixed in. Leaving out of SF.

cowanw
5-Mar-2015, 20:33
Would Business Class cut you any slack with luggage and weights and carry ons?

andy
6-Mar-2015, 08:53
I've recently flown through JFK and LAX with 8x10 and 4x5 film, in both airports the TSA offered to hand check the film and gave me no fuss. Be careful how you pack your film holders though--I had one darkslide damaged in my checked bag (I packed them up with my clothes) from what I'm sure was "careful handling." I have a friend who was an assistant for an NYC photographer who did a lot of traveling, and he was saying the photographer would always check insanely heavy gear cases and just slip the check in clerk a 20 to avoid overweight fees...but that's a risky proposition.

jp
6-Mar-2015, 08:59
Last time I traveled with 8x10, I had a short layover (had to run through the airport to get to the next terminal due to a flight delay) and my checked tripod didn't make the connection.

I sent the camera and film ahead to the destination town the week before via USPS (in a pelican case) addressed to me at general delivery, which means I can pick it up at the post office when I get to the destination. That part worked well.

John Kasaian
6-Mar-2015, 09:17
With the cost they charge for baggage on flights, sending your kit ahead on Fedex might be more cost effective.
In a carry on bag, I'd put the folded camera with one lens on it's board reversed in situ, one film holder in place, a box of film(or pick up film---call first--- at Freestyle in LA) and two or three more holders along side the camera., cable release, light meter, loupe & a few filters.
With the tripod "tube" packed along with a changing bag and focus cloth in checked baggage that would give me a bare bones kit so I could keep shooting even if the rest of the gear got hung up somewhere in transit.

When I was spending lot of time on airliners I kept a swimsuit, clean shirt, tooth brush, prescriptions and a book in my carry on bag. That way if my luggage got lost I could always go to a hotel, hit the pool, read and go out to a nice place for supper while waiting for my suitcase to show up.

Drew Wiley
6-Mar-2015, 09:28
I'd never ever ever send something irreplaceable that I already owned through a parcel carrier. Given the level of experience I've had with UPS and Fedex, there
is always some risk of theft or damage, though this is worst in Dec when they hire a lot of extra seasonal help. My 8x10 system will easily fit into a carry-on,
and the tripod compacts no bigger than a set of golf clubs in a cordura bag, like some airlines will allow you to set toward the front of the plane. I've checked in
big wooden tripods before; but that kind of thing is replaceable. But with a 4x5 system, everything can fit into a legal carry-on, including a CF tripod.

Drew Wiley
6-Mar-2015, 09:33
I'm in Calif - and every single time we fly, something gets stolen out of check-in baggage. It's might just be something petty, like a box of chocolates. But never
put anything valuable through check-in. It's even worse in Oregon, flying out of Portland. Instead of a ton of filmholders, pack a film changing tent. It's not that hard to get everything into a carry-on.

djdister
6-Mar-2015, 09:38
Carry on baggage for camera gear and film, checked bags for clothes and miscellaneous and replaceable items... although I have had to put my tripod in with my checked bag a couple of times, and luckily it made it okay.

Richard Wasserman
6-Mar-2015, 09:48
Not my experience. Our son lives in Portland and I fly in and out 2-3 times a year from Chicago O'hare with never a problem. Our son also does a bit of flying without troubles. I do concur that nothing valuable should go in checked luggage, but I wouldn't worry excessively about theft. Figure out how to pack what you need, go and have fun.

I'm in Calif - and every single time we fly, something gets stolen out of check-in baggage. It's might just be something petty, like a box of chocolates. But never
put anything valuable through check-in. It's even worse in Oregon, flying out of Portland. Instead of a ton of filmholders, pack a film changing tent. It's not that hard to get everything into a carry-on.

StoneNYC
6-Mar-2015, 10:08
Last time I traveled with 8x10, I had a short layover (had to run through the airport to get to the next terminal due to a flight delay) and my checked tripod didn't make the connection.

I sent the camera and film ahead to the destination town the week before via USPS (in a pelican case) addressed to me at general delivery, which means I can pick it up at the post office when I get to the destination. That part worked well.

That's really smart. When I was working in the movies more I was talking to one of the still photographers on set and he told me that his entire gear case went missing permanently, he had TWO 1D style cameras, and a lens lineup of primes that would give you a heart attack, probably easily $50,000 worth of gear. All missing, the movie production bought him an entire new set of gear as they needed him to shoot the next day, but the airline never found his gear, just vanished, and they wouldn't pay more than something like $1,000 toward the loss of the items. I'm sure a later law suit was involved but the point is airlines are really untrustworthy and I would trust the US post or fedex over the airlines any day. If I can't take it as carry on, then shipping makes sense, will cost you about $60-$100 for a 20x20x20 heavy box to be shipped across the country by USPS and you can have it held at a local post office.

That's what I did the last time I hiked the Grand Canyon, had all my hiking gear and food shipped right to the post office in the canyon then flew there separately. Just make sure not to send it last minute, their "2 day guaranteed shipping" isn't always 2 days and you can end up with less film than you had hoped to have....

Drew Bedo
6-Mar-2015, 11:00
Back when I was traveling across the US semi regularly with an 8x10 outfit (2003-2006.) I would carry on the camera and 4 lenses in a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW and a book bag with 6 8x10 holders (and a couple boxes of film.) Then I would just stash an older aluminum Gitzo with the head detached in my big duffel with all my clothes (Checked.) Worked out just fine.

I have used this packing plan myself with different gear. My LowePro Supper Trekker Aw fit overhead just fine. When traveling by air I only bring 100 ISO films for peace of mind.

Drew Wiley
6-Mar-2015, 14:24
My wife flies to in and out of Portland multiple times a year, and has had something pilfered from checked baggage almost every single time, and her other bags conspicuously rifled through. I wouldn't trust the handlers down here at Oakland at over at SFO either. Then there have been items damaged. I go around here joking how Fedex and UPS deliver everything by tossing it out the bombay of a plane at 20,000 feet, it's so mangled sometimes. It's a statistical risk, especially with seasonal relief drivers. Then there USPS. The nickname for the bulk mail center down the road a ways is "the billion-dollar package smasher". Employees in
there have been known to deliberately play football with anything marked "fragile". No place for camera gear. I want my eyes on that at all times, no matter where I travel.

Jmarmck
6-Mar-2015, 16:35
If you ship FedEx DO NOT use standard ground. They might use SmartPost which will add at least one day to the delivery time. They will also change the delivery time on the tracker when the package drops into that void. The problem is that the FedEx labels and their inconsistency often confuses the USPS readers. If you do ship ahead of time I would ship USPS Priority or some other carrier and their method that made them what they are not the bargain basement deals.

cdavis324
8-Mar-2015, 09:24
I travel frequently with my chamonix 8x10. The camera and lenses go in my photobackpacker which gets carried on. The tripod and a bag of items that can't be carried on(leatherman, tools, etc) go in a large duffel bag with my clothes that gets checked. Film and film holders get sent in advance via USPS priority(UPS and FEDEX are incredibly expensive comparatively). If you check your film holders, be prepared for broken dark slides... Ask me how I know! Having elite status helps incredibly - I never got bothered about the size of the bag, even though it's technically too big to carry on. I've had times where I've boarded late and there isn't any space for my bag, and the flight attendants have always managed to find a space(now that they don't serve meals on planes there's empty space in the service carts). It's important to be nice but firm if there's no space, and they'll help you out.

In terms of checked bags, lightware or tenba are your best bets - they draw less attention than pelican cases. When traveling for commercial projects, I have a few pelican's that get used for grip equipment, or non essential equipment, but everything else goes in lightware cases(My thinking is if someone tried to walk off with a case, it would be pelican that looks like it's containing sensitive equipment). It's important to divide gear up so that you can get by if a case goes missing. Also each case has a typed itemized list of the contents on top, so when TSA inevitably opens it up to check leaving a love note behind, they know I know what's inside. After all the bags are accounted for at the airport, I have an assistant go through the cases to make sure everything is there and working properly while I pick up the rental car. If something is missing or damaged, it's important to have the airline document it before leaving. I've flown all over the US, with some international travel mixed in, and have never had a problem with missing or broken gear.

After the shoot, I'll mail the film back to the lab. For commercial projects, I'll divide the film into 2 batches and send them via different carriers, but for personal projects I'll usually send it all back via USPS priority.

Most of what I've said is probably overkill, but hope it helps!

StoneNYC
8-Mar-2015, 12:34
I travel frequently with my chamonix 8x10. The camera and lenses go in my photobackpacker which gets carried on. The tripod and a bag of items that can't be carried on(leatherman, tools, etc) go in a large duffel bag with my clothes that gets checked. Film and film holders get sent in advance via USPS priority(UPS and FEDEX are incredibly expensive comparatively). If you check your film holders, be prepared for broken dark slides... Ask me how I know! Having elite status helps incredibly - I never got bothered about the size of the bag, even though it's technically too big to carry on. I've had times where I've boarded late and there isn't any space for my bag, and the flight attendants have always managed to find a space(now that they don't serve meals on planes there's empty space in the service carts). It's important to be nice but firm if there's no space, and they'll help you out.

In terms of checked bags, lightware or tenba are your best bets - they draw less attention than pelican cases. When traveling for commercial projects, I have a few pelican's that get used for grip equipment, or non essential equipment, but everything else goes in lightware cases(My thinking is if someone tried to walk off with a case, it would be pelican that looks like it's containing sensitive equipment). It's important to divide gear up so that you can get by if a case goes missing. Also each case has a typed itemized list of the contents on top, so when TSA inevitably opens it up to check leaving a love note behind, they know I know what's inside. After all the bags are accounted for at the airport, I have an assistant go through the cases to make sure everything is there and working properly while I pick up the rental car. If something is missing or damaged, it's important to have the airline document it before leaving. I've flown all over the US, with some international travel mixed in, and have never had a problem with missing or broken gear.

After the shoot, I'll mail the film back to the lab. For commercial projects, I'll divide the film into 2 batches and send them via different carriers, but for personal projects I'll usually send it all back via USPS priority.

Most of what I've said is probably overkill, but hope it helps!

Wow excellent tips!!!

I'm saving this as a note in my phone as a list of "how to do it right" well said and executed, not overkill at all.

My addition would be adding a GoPro camera in the case, on, and running, if they steal something besides the GoPro, you'll know who it is. Or have a good shot at it, I've actually thought of installing something like this in the car for "encounters" just in case, always better to have proof etc. Maybe I'm the one who would go overkill...

Fred L
8-Mar-2015, 13:05
ditto re: carrying on your camera and lenses. When I travel, I carry on everything I need so that I can work if my check in baggage goes awol. I can buy clothes etc later. So laptop, cameras, lenses chargers etc go overhead or under the seat.

cdavis324
8-Mar-2015, 13:33
My addition would be adding a GoPro camera in the case, on, and running, if they steal something besides the GoPro, you'll know who it is. Or have a good shot at it, I've actually thought of installing something like this in the car for "encounters" just in case, always better to have proof etc. Maybe I'm the one who would go overkill...

Lol! Just be careful to check if that is allowed by the TSA. It's most likely against federal law to have a camera running during the screening, so you could end up on a longer trip than you anticipated!

StoneNYC
8-Mar-2015, 13:45
Lol! Just be careful to check if that is allowed by the TSA. It's most likely against federal law to have a camera running during the screening, so you could end up on a longer trip than you anticipated!

Ironic that they can video you but you can't video them.

One of my favorite movies from the 90's was "Hackers" the line "snoop onto them as they snoop onto us..." Comes to mind.

I could just claim I left it on by accident LOL.

And if they stole something, and then tried to file charges against me for videoing them stealing, that would cause a pretty big scandal and bad press for the TSA which they wouldn't want. I would also file a HUGE suit against them for theft and violation of their own federal laws and the thief would be charged with a federal crime more than me I think. But you're right, there's always that risk since the scales are in favor of the government over little old me.

Fred L
8-Mar-2015, 13:58
you don't think a GoPro would be lifted ???

StoneNYC
8-Mar-2015, 15:18
you don't think a GoPro would be lifted ???

Not if its glued to the inside lid? LOL.

Jody_S
8-Mar-2015, 15:22
Wow excellent tips!!!

A GoPro would be far more likely to be stolen than any LF gear. Mostly because the TSA would know what it is and how much it's worth, and there's enough of them around that you would have no chance whatsoever of locating it in the resale market, to be able to identify the thief. That can't be said for an 8x10 and associated gear; if your stuff showed up on eBay or Craigslist in the city you departed from, you would catch that and report it to the police immediately.

Fred L
8-Mar-2015, 17:21
Not if its glued to the inside lid? LOL.

you know they can just crack it open and grab the card right ?

basically do not check in any camera gear that you can't afford to lose. if it's valuable or irreplaceable, bring it into the cabin with you. or have it gate checked

cdavis324
8-Mar-2015, 17:49
you know they can just crack it open and grab the card right ?

basically do not check in any camera gear that you can't afford to lose. if it's valuable or irreplaceable, bring it into the cabin with you. or have it gate checked

And insurance in case stuff does go missing!