PDA

View Full Version : Handheld 8x10

nonuniform
4-Mar-2015, 15:02
So.....yeah, I'm thinking about creating a bracket to use my 8x10 kmv handheld. (it's a ridiculously stupid idea, please don't bother telling me that).

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this? I thinking about a two-handed thing, piece of thick flat bar under the camera, and then two handles whose construction is still an idea. I've tried a monopod, but, it gets in the way when walking around.

I plan to just have the camera pre-focused to 6ft, with a flash on one handle.

Ari
4-Mar-2015, 16:04
Ok, I won't tell you it's stupid. :)

Just...why?

dsphotog
4-Mar-2015, 16:37
Use a pre-measured string to establish consistent subject to camera distance. Frame viewfinder, Copal or Compur press type shutter.
And the obvious..... Strength training

John Kasaian
4-Mar-2015, 17:00
Save your KMV for the tripod. Just build a big box camera fixed at infinity, with a scavenged 8x10 back.
8x10 handheld is a hoot is you pick your subjects carefully. I take mine on skis for winter landscapes (waaaay back when CA got snow in them Sierra!)

Willie
4-Mar-2015, 17:13
Check out the Hobo camera from friends of Bostick & Sullivan in New Mexico. Might save you a lot of time.

ic-racer
4-Mar-2015, 17:29
Fotoman makes the 'bracket.' Just attach you lens to the front of the 'bracket' and your film holder to the back.

Leszek Vogt
4-Mar-2015, 17:41
At least use a monopod :>).

Les

Oren Grad
4-Mar-2015, 17:51
Save your KMV for the tripod. Just build a big box camera fixed at infinity, with a scavenged 8x10 back.

...or any of the existing wide-angle, helical-focus box cameras, like the Fotoman or Gaoersi, or a Gowland aerial or Hobo modified with a focusing helical.

Mat5121
4-Mar-2015, 18:12
You could wear it around your neck like Flavor Flav;)

Jac@stafford.net
4-Mar-2015, 18:49
Just build a big box camera fixed at infinity, with a scavenged 8x10 back.

Or up-scale this 4x5 (http://www.digoliardi.net/super-wide-4x5-1.jpg). Include the focusing helix or carry some diopters, and a string with regular knots.

adelorenzo
4-Mar-2015, 23:45
DIY fig rig:
http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-FIG-RIG/

I have built and used these for shooting video. Look in the comments there is one made with an aluminum bicycle rim, I think that would be a good design for the weight of an 8x10. Easy enough to mount a flash or two anywhere you want.

prendt
5-Mar-2015, 06:46
So.....yeah, I'm thinking about creating a bracket to use my 8x10 kmv handheld. (it's a ridiculously stupid idea, please don't bother telling me that).

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this? I thinking about a two-handed thing, piece of thick flat bar under the camera, and then two handles whose construction is still an idea. I've tried a monopod, but, it gets in the way when walking around.

It pays to think twice before you start to build it . What FL lens do you want to use? Will you be able to handhold 150mm steady? Did you try it at least on your monopod?

DrTang
5-Mar-2015, 08:43
if your going to be walking around...why not build a cart?

I built one using a golf caddy thing for my 5x7.. has provision for off camera flash and a place to put film holders, etc

it has two wheels and I bolted on a tripod so that one of it's legs becomes the third point of contact with the ground

you can't really go 'off road' with it..but if you are planning to be on roads and sidewalks ..and maybe grassy areas..anyway.. it's pretty trick

StoneNYC
5-Mar-2015, 11:57
I've thought about this for modeling shoots... Not entirely stupid, just go to the gym first to strengthen your arms and shoulders and traps ;)

John Kasaian
6-Mar-2015, 20:26
To whet your appetite for 8x10 tripod-less photography click on the photo in this link on the Gowland 810 Aerial
http://www.petergowland.com/camera/testimonial.htm

Paul Coy
13-Mar-2015, 10:03

I remember reading\seeing an article somewhere on a guy who used one hand held. Kinda looked like a big speed graphic. His focus was speed so he used a wide angle as lens of choice for zone focusing. I remember the camera looked cool.