PDA

View Full Version : Expired Steel Mill

Tin Can
3-Mar-2015, 14:54
Shot this 2 years ago, a steel mill in the heart of yuppie town Chicago that has moved to the South Side. Demolition starts now.

We still don't know how many condo's or whatever will replace this very valuable riverfront property.

Big deals are surely happening.

I didn't think that much of this image until I printed it yesterday at Costco 12X18" glossy.

Corran
3-Mar-2015, 15:02
You should get inside!
Cool looking building/monument.

Tin Can
3-Mar-2015, 15:14
You should get inside!
Cool looking building/monument.

Too late, the fires are out, the buildings are gutted and it is very heavily guarded.

For 35 years I drove by it at night and enjoyed the molten metal pours. They alway actively discouraged photography. They made and still make speciality steel, which may make them very paranoid.

http://www.finkl.com/Default.aspx

Corran
3-Mar-2015, 18:33
Neat. Really too bad. End of an era - happening all over the place too!

Tin Can
3-Mar-2015, 19:04
Neat. Really too bad. End of an era - happening all over the place too!

Actually they moved within the city and are doing really well. Seems custom steel made in USA is still a valuable asset and commodity.

Perhaps they make special steel for armoured cars which are rumoured to be built near Chicago. I can't find a link right now.

Some things cannot be outsourced.

Corran
3-Mar-2015, 19:06
Some things cannot be outsourced.

Excellent!

koraks
4-Mar-2015, 01:42
Nearly all steel production is outsourced; that's why there are so many steel mills that only make steel and not steel applications. If you mean that some things cannot be offshored, then arguably yes, although quality control in overseas area has improved drastically over the decades. It's a matter of economics and transaction costs though.

Richard Wasserman
4-Mar-2015, 08:20
I know I'm not supposed to talk politics, so I won't. Finkel Steel has an interesting relationship with Chicago. It involves the use (misuse) of TIFF funds that could/should go to schools and other public programs. And then there is always the case of one of the Finkel family members, who runs the company, being arrested for illegal gun possession—36 weapons— and the whole thing disappearing....

I think it's absolutely wonderful that Finkel stayed in Chicago, but their story is proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Moderators, I expect that this post will be deleted, but I had to to bring it up.....

chassis
8-Mar-2015, 18:20
Steel making is alive and well in the US. Lots of companies doing it in all grades. One specialty stainless producer in Reading, PA (Carpenter Technologies) is doing well, and has done well for a long time.

Heespharm
8-Mar-2015, 18:27
Steel making is alive and well in the US. Lots of companies doing it in all grades. One specialty stainless producer in Reading, PA (Carpenter Technologies) is doing well, and has done well for a long time.

Carpenter steel is some of the best stainless I've ever used!

Don Dudenbostel
27-Mar-2015, 15:51
Forty years ago I did an assignment in a steel mill. What a fun shoot but steel mills are tough to shoot in. This was shot on my Technika 70 with a 100mm Planar and Kodacolor 120 color neg.