PDA

View Full Version : Dark stripes and mottles across 4x5 B&W negative film

younghoon Kil
3-Mar-2015, 03:37
Hello to all.
If this post has already been made then I'm sorry

Here's a pic of what I get from local B&W film processing lab(Jobo ATL-3000 processor, Jobo Expert Drums 3006, 3010) in Seoul, South Korea.
As you can see, there are some dark stripes and mottles across negative.
I don't know what is it. Is this caused by film processing?

Hope someone can help me figure out how to fix this problem.
Thanks for your help.

Gihl.

vinny
3-Mar-2015, 05:16
Not likely.

Fred L
3-Mar-2015, 06:58
what film is this ? I agree with Vinny, unlikely to be processing issues.

ic-racer
3-Mar-2015, 07:00
Do the bands extend into the unexposed edge (rebate) of the film?

djdister
3-Mar-2015, 07:31
It would be more helpful to show the entire frame instead of just part of it. I will deviate from the other folks though because I think the primary effects you see are from mistakes in the film processing. The effects you are showing are not pronounced enough (my opinion) to be from exposure problems, and look more to be from uneven chemistry processing, especially the darker band (lighter on the negative) which goes across the entire side of the film. Unevenness or mottling is almost always from bad processing technique in the developer. Are you absolutely sure about the method used to process the film?

younghoon Kil
3-Mar-2015, 08:53
Thank you for your interest and your comments.

what film is this ? I agree with Vinny, unlikely to be processing issues.

Ilford Delta 100.

Do the bands extend into the unexposed edge (rebate) of the film?

No.

Are you absolutely sure about the method used to process the film?

It was processed from B&W film processing service lab.

koraks
3-Mar-2015, 09:01
Are these defects present in the actual negatives or only in the digital files? They look a lot like scanning artifacts,specifically dust in the calibration area.

bob carnie
3-Mar-2015, 10:26
Looks like lack of initial agitation in the first 15 seconds of development...

djdister
3-Mar-2015, 11:43
Thank you for your interest and your comments.

It was processed from B&W film processing service lab.

That's not a good answer. Was it processed in a tray, tank, dip and dunk, Jobo drum, or what, and are you sure of how they processed it?

djdister
3-Mar-2015, 11:44
Looks like lack of initial agitation in the first 15 seconds of development...

Yes, 95% sure it is from agitation, solution level, bad developer or developer flow problems... (or all four)

younghoon Kil
3-Mar-2015, 15:17
Are these defects present in the actual negatives or only in the digital files? They look a lot like scanning artifacts,specifically dust in the calibration area.

I have a Hasselblad Flextight X1 scanner and It works quite well.

That's not a good answer. Was it processed in a tray, tank, dip and dunk, Jobo drum, or what, and are you sure of how they processed it?

I'm not knowledgeable about film Processing.
I only know that they use Jobo ATL-3000 processor, Jobo Expert Drums 3006, 3010.

Thank you.

Liquid Artist
3-Mar-2015, 17:25
To me it still looks like a scanning error. It should not be hard to prove otherwise, just examine the negative under any magnifying glass or loupe.
Even scan it vertically rather than horizontally to rule the scanner out.

It may still be developing.

I do not think it's an issue with the film or camera.

Cor
4-Mar-2015, 03:35
You didn't mention (or don't know) the developer the lab used..just a wild guess (if it is not the scanner, first rule that one out as others already mentioned)..maybe a not well dissolved developer ?

Good luck,

Cor

younghoon Kil
4-Mar-2015, 15:05
To me it still looks like a scanning error. It should not be hard to prove otherwise, just examine the negative under any magnifying glass or loupe.
Even scan it vertically rather than horizontally to rule the scanner out.

It may still be developing.

I do not think it's an issue with the film or camera.

Thank you for the advice.
I will try again and let you know the result.

You didn't mention (or don't know) the developer the lab used..just a wild guess (if it is not the scanner, first rule that one out as others already mentioned)..maybe a not well dissolved developer ?

Good luck,

Cor

Thank you again.

koraks
4-Mar-2015, 23:41
In addition to scanning again, do inspect the negatives optically, it's the easiest way to exclude a scanner issue.

bob carnie
5-Mar-2015, 07:50
this will be very obvious as minus density on one side of the negative.