PDA

View Full Version : Needed - cable release as strong as a gorilla!

Jim Andrada
2-Mar-2015, 21:54
Well, maybe only as strong as a chimpanzee.

I have an Alphax press shutter and haven't been able to find a cable release with the guts to cock and fire it. I managed to get a cable screwed in and pushed the button - and the button end pulled loose from the cable sheath before the shutter would fire.

The shutter has a 1/4" diameter externally threaded release port which also has an internal thread.

Any ideas?

The shutter body is about as large as a Copal 3 and it takes a fair amount of oomph to fire it.

I've thought of maybe cobbling up a pneumatic gadget of some kind

John Kasaian
2-Mar-2015, 22:51
I've been using Gepe Pros with the Zeiss disc lock on all my shutters (Universals, Acme, Copal,Prontor, Betax and Alphax) with good results.:)

Jac@stafford.net
3-Mar-2015, 07:00
Yes, the Gepe Pro is most stout. I prefer the 40" because it is least likely to push the lens, causing movement.

Jim Andrada
3-Mar-2015, 10:19
I've been using Gebr. Schreck releases. I think they make the Gepe Pro's - they look pretty much identical. That's what came apart.

SergeiR
3-Mar-2015, 10:31
Jim - get Gepe with metal braided sheafing - they seems to be sturdiest (i have same issue with old Betax shutter)

Jim Andrada
3-Mar-2015, 13:17
Thanks - good idea

I have one around here somewhere - I'll give it a try

Alan Gales
3-Mar-2015, 14:10
I own some Prontor cable releases that are pretty stout.

Louis Pacilla
3-Mar-2015, 15:13
I own some Prontor cable releases that are pretty stout.

Not so loud Alan. Not so loud.;)

Alan Gales
3-Mar-2015, 16:19
Not so loud Alan. Not so loud.;)

I'm sorry, Louis. I didn't know they were a secret! :)

Steven Tribe
4-Mar-2015, 02:26
Not so loud Alan. Not so loud.

+1

I think their designation was "Prontor Professional". There may be a few left as "new, old, stock" at retailers.

Jim Andrada
7-Mar-2015, 23:03
I found one of the Prontor Pro's on the 'Bay for$9.99

It does the job. Thanks for the suggestion.