PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Dark slides with circular holes in them? For what purpose?

CropDusterMan
2-Mar-2015, 14:05
Hey Gang,

Ok,

Been going through my newly acquired Linhof Color kit and in the bottom of the case,
found six 4x5 holder dark slides, and each one has a 1 inch hole drilled in it...?

Each of the slides has a hole in a different spot.

I've been scratching my head as to what the hell these would be for?

Any ideas?

Kinda ticks me off, as three holders have no dark sides, and are useless!

Best,
Jason

Jon Shiu
2-Mar-2015, 14:10
It's for testing different exposures/development/density on one piece of film, so you don't need to use many pieces of film.

Jon

CropDusterMan
2-Mar-2015, 14:59
It's for testing different exposures/development/density on one piece of film, so you don't need to use many pieces of film.

Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon, that makes perfect sense...

Old-N-Feeble
2-Mar-2015, 15:11
You can buy replacement slides for your holders but if two are missing per holder then you can probably buy complete holders for the same money. If you don't want them for your own use you can probably sell the six slides with holes for enough cash to buy two or three complete holders (maybe more)... but you'll need to know what make/model the slides fit.

Joe Smigiel
2-Mar-2015, 16:43
Here's an example test:
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/TMX_TMY_HP5.jpg

Kimberly Anderson
2-Mar-2015, 18:08
Send me a pic of your holders and I'll swap you dark slides. Those would come in handy next time I'm doing Zone testing.

CropDusterMan
2-Mar-2015, 19:11
I'll get back with you shortly Mate...

Tony Lakin
3-Mar-2015, 01:45
Similar idea to the set I made up several years back, I made my slides from black acrylic rather than spoil original dds, I get up to 12 test exposures per sheet of 4x5 film.

metalsmith
13-Mar-2015, 14:57
Here's an example test:
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/TMX_TMY_HP5.jpg

OK off topic but where are you buying Crane's Kid Finish Stationary paper?

Joe Smigiel
13-Mar-2015, 18:59
I usually purchased it at a local stationery vendor in downtown Kalamazoo. "Petals and Postings" IIRC. It's been years since I bought any. I think it is now available directly from Crane online, or Amazon, etc.