PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Optar 135mm f/4.7 -- Copal 0 size?

pchaplo
2-Mar-2015, 00:03
I have a working snappy Graflex Optar 135mm f/4.7 and want to mount it on a Toyo view camera. I need a lensboard and I'm wondering -- will it mount properly in a Copal 0 hole? The back of the lens measures about 1-1/4" dia. Here is a pic...

I see that on the back of the lens there is also has a pin that protrudes with a flathead slot screw top -- will that need to be removed to mount in a "modern" lensboard? If so, can that whole pin be removed easily?

I've had the lens in my closet for years and just now will use it. I need to take sharp handheld shots at 1/400 f/8 -- is this old lens generally considered to be sharp at that aperture? Of course, I can't wait to test it! Excited!

Wishing you great light!
Paul130144

Dan Fromm
2-Mar-2015, 06:54
No, won't mount properly in a Copal #0 hole. According to http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters/standardcopals the Copal #0 hole is 34.6 mm, 1.25" = 31 mm.

The "pin" should be a screw with a slotted head. Just unscrew it. If no slot, use pliers to turn it.

Where do you need sharpness? If across the field, y'r lens won't deliver it at f/8. But try it out, what doesn't please some may please you.

And be aware that the shutter may not give you 1/400 even after its been overhauled. Again, try it out to see whether what it can do will suit you.

esearing
4-Mar-2015, 17:47
I have something similar and cut my own holder using craft plywood since I could not find predrilled holes the right size. Mine was in a compur syncro P shutter
The 1 1/4 hole saw was close enough that I could sand out the hole a tad more and it fit perfectly.
I had to bevel my edges of the board to fit into under the holder tabs using a 45 degree angle on the chop saw.
Not a lot of effort if you have a chopsaw and a drill.