PDA

View Full Version : Help installing the cam in a Crown Graphic

macandal
1-Mar-2015, 17:45
How do I install the cam in a CG, top rangefinder?

(135mm, P6.)

(Visual aids would be helpful.)

Thanks.

Jim Jones
1-Mar-2015, 19:18
Look at page 21 or 22 of this link: http://www.archive.org/stream/Pacemaker_Crown_Graphic_Cameras_User_Manual_/pacemaker_crown_graphic_camera__djvu.txt

Bill_1856
1-Mar-2015, 19:29
Start with Librium or Valium. After 30 minutes, switch to Jack Daniels or Crown Royal.
Hint: start by removing the front standard from the track, then tilting it all the way back. Drop the front door with the track as far back as it will go. Turn the camera upside down and open the cover as far as it will go, THEN HAVE A REALLY GOOD LIGHT ON IT SO YOU CAN SEE HOW IT WORKS as you crank the focusing knob. You will discover that the cam is held in place on one end by a spring, on the other end by the end of the focusing cable. If you push the cam back against the spring it can be slid out. To insert another cam start by pushing it against the spring, and sliding it against the end of the cable.
It should all go smoothly -- if not you've done something wrong.
I hope there's better information on graflex.com, or illustrations on youtube. I've done it a hundred times, yet if it's been 6 months since last time, it is just as impossible as the last time.
When you do finally get the old one out and the new one in, sacrifice an animal to your deity in thanks. It might even help to do that before you start, but wipe the blood off your hands before you touch the camera.

macandal
2-Mar-2015, 10:11
Start with Librium or Valium. After 30 minutes, switch to Jack Daniels or Crown Royal.It doesn't sound easy.

When you do finally get the old one out and the new one in...I'm not taking the old one out. I'm putting the original one back in. So I really cannot see how this little thing is supposed to go in there.

Bill_1856
2-Mar-2015, 10:25
It doesn't sound easy.
I'm not taking the old one out. I'm putting the original one back in. So I really cannot see how this little thing is supposed to go in there.

Oh dear! Send me your email address, and I'll take a picture of how it should look and email it to you. (It ISN'T easy -- it's extremely clumsy, which is why it's completely different on the Super Graphic.)
Good luck.
Bill

macandal
2-Mar-2015, 10:37
Oh dear! Send me your email address, and I'll take a picture of how it should look and email it to you. (It ISN'T easy -- it's extremely clumsy, which is why it's completely different on the Super Graphic.)
Good luck.
Billmacandal at yahoo dot com.

Bill_1856
2-Mar-2015, 11:18
macandal at yahoo dot com.
emails sent. Hope they will help.
B.

macandal
2-Mar-2015, 11:42
emails sent. Hope they will help.
B.Got them. Thanks. We'll see how it goes when I get home tonight.

macandal
2-Mar-2015, 12:32
How to change the CAM on a top rangefinder 4x5 Speed Graphic

So, it's not a Crown Graphic like mine, but it's all I've been able to find so far. I hope Speeds are not that different from Crowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHON-7QeLw

photonsoup
2-Mar-2015, 17:06
Yep that's exactly how mine works. Quick and easy every time. To bad you can't actually see what he's doing.

The first time I did this I took off the front standard and the bellows! It was a total train wreck. Once you figure it out, it really is less than ten seconds to change. Now if the beads and spacers get out that's a totally different story.

macandal
2-Mar-2015, 17:15
Now if the beads and spacers get out that's a totally different story.Oh, that happened too, but I already put all (?) the spacers and the beads back in. The last step now is to put the cam back in.

RichSBV
3-Mar-2015, 09:20
May be too late, but from the sound of things you don't have the manuals. If you want the user and service manuals, go here:
http://southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/graphicmanuals.html

No, you don't have to take the front standard off...

macandal
3-Mar-2015, 12:17
May be too late, but from the sound of things you don't have the manuals.Yes, I know, the manuals you can get online, but I wanted to "see" how this is done. It may be very simple, but if you've never done it, I bet this will take a couple of hours.

macandal
7-Mar-2015, 17:43
Ok, I think I put the cam back in (it only took two hours!). Now, how do I calibrate this thing?

Jac@stafford.net
7-Mar-2015, 17:51
Ok, I think I put the cam back in (it only took two hours!). Now, how do I calibrate this thing?

First see if it needs adjustment. You might be happily surprised.

macandal
7-Mar-2015, 18:32
First see if it needs adjustment. You might be happily surprised.
.What do you mean?

Bill_1856
7-Mar-2015, 19:17
There is no calibration on the cam. It just needs the cam and the lens to be in synchrony. Focus on something, then move the front standard along the track until it is in focus on the ground glass. Set the screws on the infinity stops, and you're in business.

macandal
7-Mar-2015, 19:23
There is no calibration on the cam.When I said, "How do you calibrate this thing," I meant the camera.

So, now that all the pieces are back in, how do I calibrate the camera?

Jac@stafford.net
7-Mar-2015, 19:33
When I said, "How do you calibrate this thing," I meant the camera.

So, now that all the pieces are back in, how do I calibrate the camera?

What do you mean by "mean"? See how that goes?

Do you mean how to set the rangefinder? Infinity stops? What?
Get with it, Son.

Bill_1856
7-Mar-2015, 22:10
1. loosen the screws on the infinity stops.
2. put the camera on a tripod and open the shutter so you can focus on the ground glass. Point it at something which can be easily focused on.
3. focus the camera with the rangefinder on the subject in #2 by moving the rails with the knobs on the front door.
4. Lock the rails in place, and loosen the front standard lock, then slide the front stand back and forth while you are looking at the ground glass image with a magnifier. When it in perfect focus, lock the front standard.
5. move the infinity stops against the front standard and lock them down by tightening the screws. Unlock the rail.