PDA

View Full Version : Graflok options for 6x6 and 6x4.5?

quixoticcassandra
1-Mar-2015, 15:05
From what my research tells me, there is only the 22 Graphic and the RH-12. But I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything before I go on the hunt.

Thanks in advance.

Evan

Dan Fromm
1-Mar-2015, 15:15
The two you named are both for 6x6.

What size camera do you want to attach your roll holder to?

If 4x5, look into Sinar Vario and Zoom. Also look closely into Horseman and Linhof Super Rollex. I may be mistaken, but I'd swear I've seen 6x6 Super Rollexes offered and modern Horseman holders are copies so ...

If 2x3, I'm not sure what's available besides Graflex' own.

Will S
1-Mar-2015, 15:54
So I'm asking this I guess, but would a Calumet C2 not work with a graflok? I'm looking to convert my spring back to graflok and I hadn't considered it not working...

Dan Fromm
1-Mar-2015, 16:09
Most insertion type roll holders will work with a Graflok. Toyo rollholders -- 48 mm thick, IIRC -- may be an exception. Of course, the roll holder has to be the right size for the camera. Ain't no C2s for 2x3 cameras such as the OPs.

FWIW, I use Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holders, insertion type if ever there was one, with my 2x3 Graphics and 2x3 Cambo, have an AAR 620 to fit a 4x5 back for my 4x5 Cambo.

mdarnton
1-Mar-2015, 16:29
I'm still not clear on what format of camera you intend to hang these on, but it's its a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 Graflok, then Mamiya RB67 backs are precise, cheap, and will work on a Graflok back. They're a whole lot nicer than anything anyone else ever offered to fit on the smallest Graphic cameras.

quixoticcassandra
1-Mar-2015, 16:37
What size camera do you want to attach your roll holder to?

If 2x3, I'm not sure what's available besides Graflex' own.

Yup, I have a 2x3.

quixoticcassandra
1-Mar-2015, 16:43
I'm still not clear on what format of camera you intend to hang these on, but it's its a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 Graflok, then Mamiya RB67 backs are precise, cheap, and will work on a Graflok back. They're a whole lot nicer than anything anyone else ever offered to fit on the smallest Graphic cameras.

Thanks. I'll look into those (I have the 2x3). And I agree that the mamiya stuff is more attractive than the 22 Graphic. Plus, I've heard that with thinner film in recent decades, the Graphic (tallying film distance via turns of the spool, rather than mm's of film) can have problems with exposures overlapping each other.

Do you know if the distance to the film plane would be equal with both the Graphic and the Mamiya?

mdarnton
1-Mar-2015, 17:47
They are perfectly interchangeable. The only hangup is that the darkslide on the Mamiya has little fingers that interact with the camera that prevent it from going in all the way on a Graphic, and you need to snap those off with pliers. Otherwise, it's a nice back, works fine. Of course the Mamiya is only available in 6x7 which is OK for me.

quixoticcassandra
1-Mar-2015, 18:36
Now I'm confused. The 645 holder shown here has an opening that resembles something similar to the size of my 6x7 Horseman. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-RB67-120-Roll-Film-Holder-6x4-5-Format-HA702-pro-SD-645-from-Japan-326-/201297476050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede43b9d2

Dan Fromm
1-Mar-2015, 18:52
Right box, wrong roll holder.

rfesk
1-Mar-2015, 19:14
The Mamiya RB67 645 holder will also work but it is vertical only.

The photos in the EBay ad seem to show a 6X7 film back.

quixoticcassandra
1-Mar-2015, 19:47
Right box, wrong roll holder.

Whew! Thought I was hallucinating again. Here's one that looks a bit more appropriate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mamiya-RB67-Pro-SD-120-645-Format-Film-Magazine-W-Mask-in-EC-/251860352798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa40bff1e

In case anyone is wondering, I thought that it might make sense to change roll film backs, instead of lenses. I have a 47mm lens on a Silvestri (which is very wide), so instead of going to the extreme expense of getting a normal lens and another helical adapter, I thought I'd just get a 645 back instead. The drawback is a negative which is half the size, but the advantage (besides cost) is that I can still use the 47mm lens. And the 47mm has such a huge depth of focus, that I'd practically never have to look at a ground-glass again (the Silvestri has a viewfinder with various masks for the various film sizes). Kind of like a Plaubel Proshift, but with the ability to get different angles of view. And if this all works out, I'll tend to use black and white film in my existing 6x9 holder and slide film in the 645 holder (I'm a huge fan of the Gepe slide frames).

quixoticcassandra
1-Mar-2015, 19:52
The Mamiya RB67 645 holder will also work but it is vertical only.

That's no problem. The film back on my Silvestri will rotate to the horizontal quite easily...in fact a lot more easily than how I manage the portrait/landscape shuffle with my Mamiya 645 and shift lens.